U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 11:48 AM

365 posts, read 629,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
From there, it only got worse and we had to make peace with gas station coffee. Even the puppy felt bad for us and went on a hunger strike. For days, we had to subsist on sub-par gas station coffee and we drove as quickly as we could. But, finally, one morning, as we neared the suburbs of Atlanta, we stopped to get gas. We were cranky and groggy with nothing but the lowest of expectations. After all, not only is Atlanta the east coast, but it just might be the meanest city in the nation. I went in to pay and get our coffee. We shuddered before taking our first sips, but then the skies opened up and became bright blue. Butterflies suddenly appeared. Birds sang out in rapture. The gas station coffee was actually rocking good.
I can relate to the horrible coffee at gas stations across America. It really should be out-lawed. I could never make peace with it. It's more like bad quality tea...Anymore, when we road trip, we take our own. I like that, "Even the puppy felt bad for us" LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,042 times
so my family of 6 people, 2 parents and four girls-- we were booking a cruise with carnival cruise lines in december '08 with our aunt, uncle, and cousin. well, it wasnt a smooth vacation, i can tell you that. first, we had problems with the booking of the tickets for the cruise. then, my uncle booked our flights on the day of the cruise, which apparently you should never do. AND there was supposed to be a major snow storm that day, so 2 days before we were supposed to leave, my mom didnt wanna chance missing the cruise and having to go 3 days late (it was a seven day cruise) and getting on the cruise in san juan. she payed $2400 for last-minute jetlue tickets. it was around christmas time too. so, (yes i know it doesnt stop here) we get on the plane, and it is icing outside, we have to walk out to the plane (its westchester airport in white plains, new york) and my sister is wearing flip flops (stupiddd) people are slipping on the ramp up to the plane. THEN, we wait 3 hours for the fuel truck, we have to wait for them to de-ice the plane, our flight was almost canceled. once we landed in ft. lauderdale, we waited on the taxiway for an hour because there werent any open gates. then, we get to the hotel (FINALLY) and they had given us the last room available and said there would be enough space for 6 people. well, when we got there they said the limit was 5 people and there werent any airbeds (which were said would be provided for us) so after a few minutes of my dad arguing with them desk people, they finally go to walmart and buy us an air matress. by this time, my mom thinks our vacation is jinxed. everything is going wrong. anyway, we get on the cruise. everything is going well on the first day. the next day, the air conditioning broke and they couldnt fix it so they had a small boat come from some island with mechanics to fix it. that was fixed...but then the internet broke, and we had bought a few hundred minutes in internet. well, they got the internet working and someone had hacked my account on the cruise it went "first letter of first name+lastname+room number" so i had 0 minutes, the internet was extremely slow (facebook took around 5 minutes to load the homepage) and someone was using my account the entire cruise, so there was like $100 extra charged on my account at 75 cents a minute. then, the stabilizers broke on the third day. they fixed them, and then they broke again. and they couldnt fix them. soooooooooo, we were in very choppy waters between islands. and yeah...IM NOT DONE! we get to san juan and its at night. its very creepy and theres not much to do. we hadnt known about the time change so it screwed us up. between the broken stabilizers and everything that was going on, i was LANDSICK. i didnt throw up, but i got pretty close. we got back on the cruise and would be going to st. thomas next. well, we get to st. thomas and the "sea and see" tour we were supposed to take was canceled because of the weather. the rest of the day is ok. then, christmas day, we got to st. maarten and guess what. ALL THE SHOPS ARE CLOSED. so we ended up taking a quick tour and that was about it. we got back on the ship after about 2 hours. the last two days of the cruise were full days at sea. the first day, some lady got really sick so we had to make an emergency stop at 4 am in san juan. then, people were throwing up all over the hallways because the seas were so choppy and not even kidding you, the ship was tipping over. i know. i walked into the wall trying to go to dinner. my sister fell out of the shower, which had a curtain, into the SINK. and the dancers in the lounge place were having trouble staying up. after we got off the cruise and went home, i felt like i was rocking intensely for 3 weeks after. i will never forget this cruise. we got on an american airlines really old 757 and my window was literally glued on. when we got back to LGA, they lost my sisters luggage... that was the most frustrating vacation ever.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:38 PM

6,152 posts, read 6,320,285 times
When I was in college the last day of classes before Thanksgiving was on a Tue. So I thought I would go home for the break. The plan was to hop on a train to Spokane Tue eve. Then Wed morning I would catch a commuter flight Pasco. Due to bad weather the train was going to be about 6 hours late. Once it was confirmed the train was 2 hours away, my roommate gave me a ride to the train station. When I got there I found out the train had broke down. They expected it to be fixed soon. Finally at 6 am on Wed the train showed. We lost even more time enroute to Spokane. Got to Spokane Wed eve. Due to bad weather all of the commuter flights to Pasco were cancelled. Tried the bus but the roads were also closed. Finally at 2 am on Thur I gave up and decided to go back to Bozeman. Had just enough cash for the bus fare. However no bus due to the weather. Found a flight to Bozeman but did not enough cash and they would not take an out of state check. Had to get my parents to go to the airport in Pasco, buy me a ticket and have it transfered to Spokane. Got back to Bozeman Thur afternoon.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 23,974,521 times
If the OP cannot find things to do in a metroplex like Dallas, I think that it says a lot more about him than about the city.

I was supposed to head to Dallas in two weeks and I had quite a list of things to see and do ... with minimal research.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:17 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,039,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If the OP cannot find things to do in a metroplex like Dallas, I think that it says a lot more about him than about the city.

I was supposed to head to Dallas in two weeks and I had quite a list of things to see and do ... with minimal research.
If you like nature and animals, try the aquarium-it is multi-tiered like the levels of a rainforest, with each level having animals and birds until you get to the lower levels with fish. They even had live manatees!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:34 PM

51,816 posts, read 29,888,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
My American vacation horror story?

Taking an non air-conditioned truck to Phoenix in June. That was a whole lotta fun, driving in a truck that was 130 degrees inside, even with the windows down. Even better is when I got a ticket for "following too closely" (way to single out out of state plates there, AZ!) by some flakey, fat, dyed blond haired state patrol cop.
LOL.. I'll try to drive through Chicago in January, with the heater turned off, and both windows down..

Old 06-18-2009, 07:37 PM

51,816 posts, read 29,888,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What a bizarre story.

It seems the underlying theme was your bad attitude.
I agree.

If I had to rely on comments somebody made about a city they visited and had an unpleasant experience in, to determine whether or not I should visit that city, I might as well not go anywhere.

Every city has many good things, and every city has bad things too, and to enjoy a visit, you just don't chase the bad things. It also helps to respect the people who live there.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:52 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
While Dallas isn't really a place I could find a weeks worth of things to do (that I can't do at home) there are plenty of things to see and do for a few days. I think the original poster was either writing a parody or has a really bad attitude and an exaggeration problem. Not sure which.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,810 times
Im not buying "whats" story one bit but I must say he comes off as a real *******.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:50 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,463,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule313 View Post
so my family of 6 people, 2 parents and four girls-- we were booking a cruise with carnival cruise lines in december '08 with our aunt, uncle, and cousin. well, it wasnt a smooth vacation, i can tell you that. first, we had problems with the booking of the tickets for the cruise. then, my uncle booked our flights on the day of the cruise, which apparently you should never do. AND there was supposed to be a major snow storm that day, so 2 days before we were supposed to leave, my mom didnt wanna chance missing the cruise and having to go 3 days late (it was a seven day cruise) and getting on the cruise in san juan. she payed $2400 for last-minute jetlue tickets. it was around christmas time too. so, (yes i know it doesnt stop here) we get on the plane, and it is icing outside, we have to walk out to the plane (its westchester airport in white plains, new york) and my sister is wearing flip flops (stupiddd) people are slipping on the ramp up to the plane. THEN, we wait 3 hours for the fuel truck, we have to wait for them to de-ice the plane, our flight was almost canceled. once we landed in ft. lauderdale, we waited on the taxiway for an hour because there werent any open gates. then, we get to the hotel (FINALLY) and they had given us the last room available and said there would be enough space for 6 people. well, when we got there they said the limit was 5 people and there werent any airbeds (which were said would be provided for us) so after a few minutes of my dad arguing with them desk people, they finally go to walmart and buy us an air matress. by this time, my mom thinks our vacation is jinxed. everything is going wrong. anyway, we get on the cruise. everything is going well on the first day. the next day, the air conditioning broke and they couldnt fix it so they had a small boat come from some island with mechanics to fix it. that was fixed...but then the internet broke, and we had bought a few hundred minutes in internet. well, they got the internet working and someone had hacked my account on the cruise it went "first letter of first name+lastname+room number" so i had 0 minutes, the internet was extremely slow (facebook took around 5 minutes to load the homepage) and someone was using my account the entire cruise, so there was like $100 extra charged on my account at 75 cents a minute. then, the stabilizers broke on the third day. they fixed them, and then they broke again. and they couldnt fix them. soooooooooo, we were in very choppy waters between islands. and yeah...IM NOT DONE! we get to san juan and its at night. its very creepy and theres not much to do. we hadnt known about the time change so it screwed us up. between the broken stabilizers and everything that was going on, i was LANDSICK. i didnt throw up, but i got pretty close. we got back on the cruise and would be going to st. thomas next. well, we get to st. thomas and the "sea and see" tour we were supposed to take was canceled because of the weather. the rest of the day is ok. then, christmas day, we got to st. maarten and guess what. ALL THE SHOPS ARE CLOSED. so we ended up taking a quick tour and that was about it. we got back on the ship after about 2 hours. the last two days of the cruise were full days at sea. the first day, some lady got really sick so we had to make an emergency stop at 4 am in san juan. then, people were throwing up all over the hallways because the seas were so choppy and not even kidding you, the ship was tipping over. i know. i walked into the wall trying to go to dinner. my sister fell out of the shower, which had a curtain, into the SINK. and the dancers in the lounge place were having trouble staying up. after we got off the cruise and went home, i felt like i was rocking intensely for 3 weeks after. i will never forget this cruise. we got on an american airlines really old 757 and my window was literally glued on. when we got back to LGA, they lost my sisters luggage... that was the most frustrating vacation ever.
Next time have a Travel Agent arrange it. They will walk you thru Cruise, air, etc. St Maarten is always closed on Major Holidays, but with the new port, they now have a nice shopping area at the port which remains open.
I'm assuming you were on the Destiny. I've been on that ship , and it was in need of refurbishing which they just recently did.
As a TA I can tell you there is no booking charge, and you may even get an onboard credit.

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or