U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:38 PM

4,661 posts, read 15,787,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
You know, Cleosmom, I think you've got a winner there. Although there are stretches that haven't been ruined yet that I feel like I'm back in the '50s when agricultural land was more prevelant than sprawl.

Say, while we're talking about CA 99, did you ever wonder who the heck Jack Tone, the namesake of the road at the exit where the Flying J is, was named after? It's in Ripon, CA. (I had WAAAY too much time to think at the wheel...)

Actually, Jack Tone is the name of a ranch where Arabians (horses) have been or are still being raised by the Tone family in Stockton It's one of California's oldest family ranches.

Myself, good thing I'm not behind the wheel. Had a friend call while I was on I-15 heaind into town and she asked a question........ as I was pondering an answer for her I was having to pass a flatbed that had just gotten on and the next thing I know I was doing 90 mph. DH asked when I tadred my CDL for pilot's license, in his car no less
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 11:16 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,584,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
After much thought, I'd have to go with CA 99 in the Central Valley of California.
Ditto to cleosmom

Old 05-18-2008, 09:31 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,451,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
After much thought, I'd have to go with CA 99 in the Central Valley of California.
I'm somewhat surprised to find this one mentioned. When I travel through the Central Valley, I usually prefer to take 99 over I-5. At least there's something to see on 99 along the way. Most of I-5 looks the same, and isn't very interesting.

One thing I can say about both of them, though, is that both are boring, but I don't think either is particularly ugly compared to other places I've driven. What I consider ugly are the freeways in L.A. (most of them) that have soundwalls covered in graffiti. I-5, where it passes through Pacoima in the San Fernando Valley, is one such example.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:44 AM

4,661 posts, read 15,787,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I'm somewhat surprised to find this one mentioned. When I travel through the Central Valley, I usually prefer to take 99 over I-5. At least there's something to see on 99 along the way. Most of I-5 looks the same, and isn't very interesting.

One thing I can say about both of them, though, is that both are boring, but I don't think either is particularly ugly compared to other places I've driven. What I consider ugly are the freeways in L.A. (most of them) that have soundwalls covered in graffiti. I-5, where it passes through Pacoima in the San Fernando Valley, is one such example.
I'm basing that on the fact that I've driven all across the country and yes that includes the LA basin and I have to stick to my guns. Usually the fields are brown (drought), the air is nearly the same color (smog) and the atmosphere is just as dreary. Perhaps my opinion stems from growing up there and then seeing the rest of the country. I know some who might feel the same way (boring and sparse "scenery") about different stretches of I-80 through NV, western UT and WY.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:22 PM

3,157 posts, read 8,121,664 times
Put another vote down for Northern part of the Jersey Turnpike. The only plus about it is that you can see the NYC skyline in the distance. Mostly, the view is just oil refineries and factories.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:38 PM

421 posts, read 604,438 times
What's so ugly about the NJTP? You people don't appreciate marvels of modern construction. Also, you get great views of New York City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Put another vote down for Northern part of the Jersey Turnpike. The only plus about it is that you can see the NYC skyline in the distance. Mostly, the view is just oil refineries and factories.
Factories rule.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:44 PM

166 posts, read 633,246 times
Personally I would nominate any highway in Florida. It's very flat and there's usually absoultely nothing interesting to see along the way.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:37 AM

4,800 posts, read 10,584,803 times
I have never been on the New Jersey Turnpike, but is that the one they show in the credits of the beginning of the Sopranos?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:06 PM

2,015 posts, read 5,007,666 times
I-70 through Kansas, 8 whole hours of brown flatness and quite a few state troopers.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:38 PM

23 posts, read 80,235 times
In the Chicago area, I-55 between I-294 and LSD. Similar to the NJ Turnpike with industrial plants and factories. Smells pretty nasty too...

On the plus side, there are nice views of downtown Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel