U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 05:40 AM

21,110 posts, read 25,083,932 times

Advertisements

With the pandemic issues, I'm so, so, so glad I listened to my inner voice, years ago: Go now, you may not be alive when you retire to do any traveling.

In 1991, I bought a one year Round-the-World Air pass, in the 2000's I made 7 trips to South America and 5 to Central America, and lots of other foreign destinations even before reaching 60YO. But I missed a few places I should have visited and didn't like Colombia, Jordan, Syria (pre-ISIS) and Turkey.

If I had postponed all that, waited to do it after retiring, given the pandemic issues, I'd be mighty depressed!

I yawn at the idea of doing any domestic travel, have already been to the 50 states and I'm not into repetition.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 06:49 AM

3,844 posts, read 3,422,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I yawn at the idea of doing any domestic travel, have already been to the 50 states and I'm not into repetition.
I have a very similar travel history as you but only 52. Glad I did what I did.

Domestic travel is the last place I would spend my hard earned money. I'd rather put it away in savings for future trips or leave it to family in my will.

After you pay $100 for a room at the Marriot in South America there is no chance in hell I am paying $300 a night hotel rates.

I started traveling overseas because America doesn't want my travel money. They want to rob me instead.

Old 09-19-2021, 03:54 AM

21,648 posts, read 6,316,813 times
Quote:
With the pandemic issues, I'm so, so, so glad I listened to my inner voice, years ago: Go now, you may not be alive when you retire to do any traveling.

In 1991, I bought a one year Round-the-World Air pass, in the 2000's I made 7 trips to South America and 5 to Central America, and lots of other foreign destinations even before reaching 60YO. But I missed a few places I should have visited and didn't like Colombia, Jordan, Syria (pre-ISIS) and Turkey.

If I had postponed all that, waited to do it after retiring, given the pandemic issues, I'd be mighty depressed!

In the 2000s, at a remote attraction in Canada, I got into a conversation with a British family (a family who home schools their kids) who spits their time between their RV and homes in Beverly Hills, CA and London. They said they’d been driving around the U.S and Canada for 25 years (before kids as well) and they still hadn’t seen everything in the U.S. and Canada that they wanted to see.

I’ve been to 50+ countries on four continents (and will see more), 48 of the 50 states (all of the ‘lower 48’), all of the Canadian provinces, all of the 40 largest cities in the U.S. and 90+% of the top 350, many national parks, etc. and I still haven’t seen all of the things I want to see in the ‘lower 48’ (and I’m an American who, when not traveling, has always lived in the U.S.).

What is that old saying…..there is no such thing as boredom, only boring people.

I do, however, share the spirit of the rest of your post.

Old 09-19-2021, 04:01 AM

21,648 posts, read 6,316,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I have a very similar travel history as you but only 52. Glad I did what I did.

Domestic travel is the last place I would spend my hard earned money. I'd rather put it away in savings for future trips or leave it to family in my will.

After you pay $100 for a room at the Marriot in South America there is no chance in hell I am paying $300 a night hotel rates.

I started traveling overseas because America doesn't want my travel money. They want to rob me instead.
I’m between you and tijlover in age, and I’m also glad that I have the traveling that I do under my belt.

If you keep your options open, and follow Priceline and some other sites closely, and travel more when it isn’t crowded, there are still good deals to be found re hotels in the U.S.

Old 09-19-2021, 02:30 PM

42,575 posts, read 17,451,905 times
People, please keep your post relevant to the opening topic. I've deleted some off-topic posts.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:10 PM

1,312 posts, read 615,198 times
My worry is that if I buy an international flight now, by the time the date arrives a few months later, the situation on the ground may have changed and the stuff I want to see and do may not be accessible.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:14 AM

10,777 posts, read 19,128,061 times
I live in a place where the daily positivity rate has only recently gotten below 30% so pretty much any other place looks safer in comparison.

What kept us domestic this summer were the constantly changing rules and restrictions- you don't want to book plane tickets too far out and then you get the big price jumps at 21/14/7 days before departure. That' provided you'll be allowed to travel at all. In the space of like two weeks the Netherlands went from being generally open to all US travelers to blacklisting them (10-14 day quarantine) to saying that, yeah, we're reopening to anyone with proof of vaccine as of September 22....

I do think that globally higher vaccination rates and agreements for reopening of borders are going to lead to a relatively normal 2022. I'm planning on Berlin for my birthday next summer and then some additional mucking around the continent and if I have to download a pass sanitaire and find a pharmacy that will load my CDC card onto it to eat at a restaurant in France or wear a N95 mask on the bahn, no big deal.

Old 09-27-2021, 05:31 PM

4,037 posts, read 7,262,021 times
I just traveled to Colombia and back.. No Temp Checks.. You only had to fill out a form prior to arrival and then departure and get the US Required Covid Tests, which they barely glanced at.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:02 AM

661 posts, read 775,226 times
Quote:
My biggest fear is landing at an Airport, even having my Vaccination card with me, they take my temperature upon arrival, and I'm running a higher temp, then what? My biggest fear is landing in quarantine once I arrive somewhere, and at 71YO, with COPD, is it worth the risk?

I recently watched a Youtube Walking tour of Amman, Jordan. That city has never so much has even touched my radar screen for potential travel, but as I watched it, I suddenly became desirous of going there.

Obviously, they must get a lot of tourism, as when I looked at Hotel.com, there's tons of hotels to stay in, even 5-stars.
Your fears are not unfounded; however, for you to make it to 71 shows me you have conquered a lot of fears already.

Enjoy your life!

Old 10-07-2021, 12:42 PM

10,351 posts, read 23,198,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Depends on the country. I don't think many are basing entry decisions on temperature alone. With the prevalence of testing (even rapid tests), they're more likely to go by test results. If they don't have rapid tests, you may have to quarantine just long enough to get the results. But if you were to get somewhere and test positive, you would likely face a 10-14 day quarantine.
Jamaica will require a PCR test (4/5 day wait in a hotel used for this purpose)if you land with a fever or if the immigration officer feels like making you take one. It’s up to them and no one will argue as they have the final word on allowing visitors in.

How often does this happen? Not very, but it does happen. Not as often as visitors testing positive when departing the island and dins themselves isolated for 14 days in the same facility mentioned above)

And no, I’m not worried about traveling.. I’ve travelled internationally 6 times in the last year all while unvaccinated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel