U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 05:44 PM

10,528 posts, read 12,736,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I don't think you should worry about it so much.

Amazing how paranoid people are when they venture out of the supposed safe haven of the USA.
It's not about that. The USA is not any safer than other countries. You will see people carrying money belts whether they are visiting from another country or just another city within the US. The issue is that you are a lot more vulnerable when you are outside your home territory. If you lose your keys or wallet here you can just phone a friend to help or pay to have someone help. Travelers are an easy target and if you become a victim while traveling then that has the potential of ruining your entire trip.

I actually utilize some of these methods even at home. It's no extra trouble. (People just think it is because they are not in the habit of doing so.) There are little things people can do like not carrying all your valuables in a wallet in your back pocket. (I think anyone who does that these days is an idiot.) The same with women who carry their all valuables in a wallet inside a purse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 08:11 AM

I think the key to using a new system of carrying your valuables is to start doing it weeks BEFORE the day of your trip. Otherwise you are likely to get to the airport and begin feeling confused and disoriented, which doesn't really help matters. That happened to me when I went through security. I almost left my trouser belt on the floor. Next time I am going to get one with a plastic buckle because then I shouldn't have to take it off.

I use the leather trouser belt to carry a small credit card sized nylon pouch hanging inside my pants from a strong nylon cord. I had to keep that pouch in my pocket until I got past security. (I don't trust the thin, flimsy, quick-release belts on the standard money belts that go around your waist, under your pants.)

Just don't leave it there if you have to use a public restroom.

It's also smart to wear a shirt with buttoned pockets on the day you travel. You can keep valuables there in case they ask to check your neck-pouch (in case they ask). Or if you just want to keep your credit card, id, and boarding pass there so that they are a little more accessible. Professional pickpockets have stated that a shirt pocket is the safest place to carry your money.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:40 AM

4,668 posts, read 6,112,173 times
The only precaution I mess with is carrying my passport/wallet in my front pocket, never the back pocket.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:24 PM

I like the idea of keeping just what you need for the day in your front pocket. The rest hidden.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 PM

328 posts, read 574,247 times
My front pocket.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,358 times
I always carry "shoe money" home and away. I keep some bills ( in a ziplock bag) under the inside soles of my shoes. So even if my wallet is stolen or (more likely) lost or left at home, I am never without cash.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:08 AM

12,687 posts, read 14,071,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I don't think you should worry about it so much.

Amazing how paranoid people are when they venture out of the supposed safe haven of the USA.
I know, I've only been pickpocketed and burglarized while living in the U.S., never as a tourist in Europe nor after living here twelve years. Probably just luck, but I find the pervasive paranoia that has come to grip Americans in the past few decades fascinating.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:10 AM

12,687 posts, read 14,071,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
The only precaution I mess with is carrying my passport/wallet in my front pocket, never the back pocket.
Yes, as far as I am concerned back pockets are just for decoration.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:20 AM

6,800 posts, read 11,767,775 times
I put my wallet and passport in my front shirt pocket.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:25 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,415 times
I've always just been careful and alert. I carry a purse usually, always a zippered one when I travel, and I hang onto it tight. Once settled into a hotel or cruise ship, our passports and most credit cards are locked up in a safe, so we're walking around with perhaps one debit card/credit card each, and a small amount of cash.

In Rio, I carried a little half-backpack style purse, so I could have it over my shoulder and carry it in front of me. I hung onto it tight the first day or two, but actually felt very safe. I'm going to Barcelona next year, which has a terrible rep for pickpockets, so may resort to a neck pouch. We will certainly minimize and separate, as usual. My camera is small, and is often in my hand.

I also depend on ATM's, and have used them everywhere--Rio, Istanbul, Athens, London, Nice, etc. If you're worried about your ATM card, have your bank put a low daily limit on it before you leave. And only use those inside banks (although I've used kiosks right on the street.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or