Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 06:01 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,780,042 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite way of carrying valuables (money, cards, etc)?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 06:21 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,735,464 times
Same as I do while in my own hometown. Generally I keep it in the bank until I need it, then use the ATM to get what I need. Same on vacation or at home.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:22 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,447,575 times
we seperate the money between us--me and DH, so that someone has mony in case the other one loses it in some way.
also i just carry what i need and in my front pocket--not my purse.
if you must carry cash, put some in your pocket and the res in the hidden pouch.
but with ATM's, i really dont carry so much cash anymore. even when i go to europe, the small towns have ATM's, and i get a better exchange rate--whatever it is for that day

Old 05-15-2008, 08:24 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,144,090 times
if i had them i would not post them on a public forum. some posters have come right out and said armed robbery was ok if they needed the money.
(not everybody that posts and reads on cd is a nice person.)

Old 05-15-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if i had them i would not post them on a public forum. some posters have come right out and said armed robbery was ok if they needed the money.
(not everybody that posts and reads on cd is a nice person.)
That's true. But I was really thinking of tips are to guard against casual pickpockets.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:55 AM

23,105 posts, read 28,829,719 times
Default Great ways to hide money

I've made 7 trips to South America and 5 to Central America the past 4 years and here's what I do:

I put a few hundred dollars in two zip-lock bags, fold it, stick one each into my socks so they're placed in the palms of my feet, and I wear shoelace tennis shoes. After awhile, You'll get used to the feel of that plastic under your feet as you travel about. This way, if they want the money, they'll have to knock me down, untie my shoelaces, take off my shoes and socks to get PART of my stash.

I have sets of travel pants and shorts. I went to Salvation Army and bought the deepest pocketed pants I could find, tore off the pockets, and then sewed them inside my pants in the back and one in front of my pants. There resides another PART of my stash.

I also carry an old wallet with a couple of outdated identity cards along with some bait money. I'm told that if you are robbed and they find no money in your wallet, they can turn violent. So put SOME money into that old, worthless wallet. My real wallet I carry in my front pocket, AND, even with that, the identification cards are all hidden away.

I also carry a thin pouch for my passport or credit cards.

In all my traveling, I have NEVER used an ATM machine, wouldn't even know how to use one, don't even recollect my pin number. I've heard too many horror stories about people using ATM machines in foreign countries, as thieves hang around ATM machines, just waiting for you to withdraw some money, and then rob you a block or two away as they follow you. Also, in some foreign countries, it's not uncommon for cards to be "eaten" by the machines and the machine fails to return the card to you. I was recently in Argentina and sitting next to a woman at an Internet cafe, who had recently been in Brazil, she had put her card in to withdraw $300. Well, she was charged $300 to her account, but no money came out of the machine. I have always carried cash only on all my trips throughout the world and haven't lost a dollar yet. But if ATM machines are your thing, then go for it! I'll continue to only carry cash on my trips.

Another thing to keep in mind, if traveling out of the country, make sure the bills you take with have no writings on them, no marks, and NO TEARS!!! Get them fresh from the bank. Why? I was down to my last $100 bill in China one time, and it happened to have a small tear in it, and when I went to change it into yuan at a bank one of my last days there, they refused to accept it because of the slight tear in the bill. It almost sent me into a panic! I finally tried another bank and yet another bank and finally, after the 4th bank, they accepted it. Countries that USE the American dollar, like El Salvador or Ecuador, you don't have to worry about it.

And while walking about, if you're a worrisome type person like myself, don't keep patting the areas of your body where your money is hidden, to make sure it's still there, as thieves are very observant of people, and that has a way of giving you away as to where you stash your money.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:30 PM

I've actually thought about reporting my credit card as stolen and requesting a new card with a completely new number. Then, keep the old card in my fake wallet (with a little bit of cash). If a thief steals my wallet and tries to use the "stolen" credit card...I don't know, just an idea. I don't even know if it would work.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I put a few hundred dollars in two zip-lock bags, fold it, stick one each into my socks so they're placed in the palms of my feet, and I wear shoelace tennis shoes. After awhile, You'll get used to the feel of that plastic under your feet as you travel about. This way, if they want the money, they'll have to knock me down, untie my shoelaces, take off my shoes and socks to get PART of my stash.
I never would have thought of carrying money in my shoe, but that method actually sounds like it would be pretty effective.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:43 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,784,073 times
I use a simple neck pouch. Use it even traveling in the U.S. I keep most of my money in there as well as one credit card. If I'm overseas I keep my passport there as well.

Pockets are too easy to pick....

Old 05-17-2008, 07:18 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,274,528 times
I agree with the 'bait money' idea. I use that even here at home. That way, hopefully, you'll lessen your chances of getting shot or attacked for having nothing for them to take. By the time they figure out that they've got a few dollars, a bunch of wadded up tissues, outdated coupons and some petty change, you'll be long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel