Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:13 PM

153 posts, read 565,790 times

Advertisements

I noticed there's a lot of anti-car people on City Data. Not owning a car may be fine if you live in a big city with an excellent mass transit system like NY. But not having a car severely limits you. Not everyone lives in NY or SF or even Seattle. What if your job isn't on a bus line? What if you need to do something on the opposite side of town? Are you going to spend an hour or more on a bus to get there when you could take your car and get there in 10-15 minutes?

Also, do you want to stay in your own little corner of the world and never get out? City people need rural areas to escape to once in a while. It's impossible to get out and refresh yourself and take in some scenery without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 12:51 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I can't imagine being without a vehicle of some sort. Of course, where I live we have no transit system other then 1 taxi in town.

But I'd recommend buying an old beater. Something cheap. All you have to carry is liability. $200-300 a year in insurance. But use public transportation as much as possible.

But like mentioned. Have you tried packing a picknic basket onto a bus and riding to a park in town to have a day of lounging around? Can you go fishing? Can you get to an area to go hiking?

I just think a person without a vehicle would limit themselves to being "stuck" in the city. I'm too much of a country boy. Gotta have my fishing and hiking out in the timber. Couldn't get there on city transportation.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlusting View Post
I noticed there's a lot of anti-car people on City Data. Not owning a car may be fine if you live in a big city with an excellent mass transit system like NY. But not having a car severely limits you. Not everyone lives in NY or SF or even Seattle. What if your job isn't on a bus line? What if you need to do something on the opposite side of town? Are you going to spend an hour or more on a bus to get there when you could take your car and get there in 10-15 minutes?

Also, do you want to stay in your own little corner of the world and never get out? City people need rural areas to escape to once in a while. It's impossible to get out and refresh yourself and take in some scenery without a car.

Our move to Seattle was a conscious decision and public transit availibility was a vital part of that decision. We completely aced any place/city which we knew didn't have sufficient public transit to service daily needs. That included a whole lot of western and southern America.

Now that gas has gone up almost 50 cents a a gallon just since we've been here, I'm really happy not to be pumping ever more of our household budget into the gas tank. We just can't possibly afford the ever-rising price of owning and operating a car. I saw somewhere on the internet yesterday from AAA that the average cost of owning and operating a car in America is now more than $8,000 a year.

And in Seattle it's relatively easy to "get out of town" even without a car. There's a ferry dock not a mile from our apt. which goes to the Olympic penninsula. The Puget Sound beach is 1/2 block away.

Still it remains inconvenient to be in America without a car. Very trying.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:45 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Consider getting a scooter or perhaps a nice collapsable cart for transporting goods home.

The occasional cab is not a bad idea either.

I have a very fuel efficient Toyota Corolla since a car is mandatory given where I live....and if I ever need anything bigger I can rent for a couple days.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:42 PM

39 posts, read 169,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Still it remains inconvenient to be in America without a car. Very trying.
Depends. I lived in Atlanta for about 10 years without a car.
Of course, I had a bus and rail pass, and purposely rented an
apt. a block or so from grocery, restaurants, etc.
Rental cars and/or Amtrak did the job for vacation trips.

I'm sure there are a lot of cities with better public transportation
than Atlanta. So with a bit of planning, it can be done.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:31 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Here's your answer to comuting woes: Segway

Old 06-05-2008, 09:36 AM

593 posts, read 2,440,004 times
Living without a car isn't as hard as you might think, but as previous posters have said, your need for a car varies significantly based on where you live. If you are already established in a car-dependent area, it is tough to really change things without uprooting your family. But if you are young and mobile, now is the time to design a lifestyle that will be sustainable in the long-term and won't leave you panicked when gas prices rise.

If you are planning on moving to a new place, choose a city that does have great public transportation. Some cities are really making a difference in educating people about how this kind of lifestyle is possible, just like Arlington, VA (Arlington's Car-Free Diet). More cities that do things like this will attract more people of all ages willing to move in and live car-free.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:33 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Here's your answer to comuting woes: Segway
Now, if it only come with a trailer so I could get the new mircowave home.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:44 AM

39 posts, read 169,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Now, if it only come with a trailer so I could get the new mircowave home.
You'll have to admit it would be quite entertaining to see you try that without a trailer.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:48 PM

325 posts, read 1,077,428 times
You would be able to live very well without a car in Pittsburgh. We have an excellent public transportation system. All of the busses here can take you to shopping districts, malls, restaurants, the zoo, museums. Almost everything. I think I we are very spoiled here. Especially with the gas prices many beople take the bus just because its easier. I bet there are 1000's of people here without cars and they make it just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel