Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:21 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,760 times

Advertisements

Hey. The Airlines are all a mess. I don't see how most of them stay in business. I am flying AA in July on my return from JFK. The AA article said

"The first-bag fee will be charged to everyone except people who belong to elite levels of its frequent flyer program, those who bought full-fare tickets, and those traveling overseas."

AA offered the best fare by far for my Atlantic crossing. Presumably the fee will not apply to me.

I suppose the airlines are still banking on the domestic business traveler who will pay many times what I pay for the same flight. But that gravy train has got to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 07:11 AM

542 posts, read 1,928,716 times
I let out a groan this morning when I heard the news on GMA!!! uuggghh I never fly AA, I always fly NW. I REALLY hope the fee doesn't become the norm across the board!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I think you have to realise that they are doing it this way so that theycan get back some of the cost on tickets that were sold before the prices of fuel went up. This gives them a way of modifying charges for increased cost. It also helps i that they charge more for people carrying baggage and not the day tripper that travels more on say business.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:25 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,474 times
It really comes down to: what's preferable to all of you? A healthier airline industry (with yes, higher prices but the service that you all may be used to), or a faltering industry with lower ticket prices, bare-bones product, and terrible customer satisfaction? That low prices in the face of high fuel costs appears to be most important, so that's what we get.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:28 PM

45 posts, read 145,153 times
I saw today t hat if you print out the baggage rules for the day that you bought your ticket, then they can not assess you current fees when you check in. You get grandfathered in to the rules in effect on the day you bought your ticket. that is if you can prove it.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:44 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,007 times
It's only business and they have to stay afloat! To anyone that owns a business you know u do what you have to in tough times right? So I cannot get mad at the airlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel