U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer to the vacation...
at the beach. 55 48.25%
in the mountains. 59 51.75%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 05:04 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,344,497 times

Advertisements

I grew up in South Florida near Fort Lauderdale and some very fine beaches within 1 1/2 miles of my parent's house.

The beach holds very little attraction to me. I just don't understand the appeal of walking in the sand, sweating in the hot sun, slathering on greasy suntan or sun protection products on your skin. The sun causes serious damage to your skin and to your health. Swimming? Salt water ... jelly fish ... sharks ... the undertow? No thanks.

Hiking in the cooler fresh mountain air, visiting small rural communities and historic towns, wine tasting in a nearby vineyard ... now that sounds like a much more agreeable weekend to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 PM

3,257 posts, read 4,481,198 times
I voted beach, but I go to Hawaii mostly and to be fair they have both. Green lush beautiful Mountains. I don't like the barren Rocky Mountains anymore after seeing the Na Pali and Koʻolau mountains.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:32 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,449,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Mountains. I never knew how much I liked them until I spent time hiking in them. I'm a born flatlander and never knew any better.

If there are no mountains, I'll happily take the beach.
Same here! I was born and raised in the Great Plains and moved to the Black Hills a couple years ago. I feel like the hills/mountains are where I'm supposed to be. I don't dislike the plains, though. There are some things I definitely miss about living in a flatter, more humid area. The severe thunderstorms are incredible! Still, when I'm on the road and see the hills come into view, I feel like I'm coming home.

I've never spent time at the ocean, but I'm pretty sure I'm not a big beach fan. I hate the feel of sand on my bare feet, I don't like sunbathing (I'm very fair skinned) and I don't care to swim with fish.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:09 PM

4,465 posts, read 3,466,959 times
The beach for me. Love to feel the ocean breeze as I lounge on the beach soaking up the sun. Love walking on the beach as the sun is going down or in the morning before it gets crowded. Love sitting on the balcony at night and drinking fruity concoctions. Love the fresh seafood.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:16 PM

120,066 posts, read 14,297,388 times
I always will love the mountains. I grew up in the Alps and I feel so light in my heart when I can hike up a mountain and just yodel deeply from my lungs Kidding aside,there is nothing more peaceful than the sound of the wind,the wild birds and a running mountain spring and the smell of pine and wild flowers. To see Ravens or wild mountain goats is a real plus too

Old 11-09-2013, 02:52 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,750,060 times
I live on a sea loch (no waves except during storms) but the beaches are mostly rocky, and am surrounded by mountains where I can go hiking any time. However, I'm about an hour's drive from a pretty ocean beach but the water is usually cold here.

So I voted beach as I do love to walk barefoot on warm beaches and am going to one in Thailand in January. Not going to lie on the beach as I'd like to avoid skin cancer. Wearing a big hat, lots of sunscreen and visiting the giant Buddha statues and other sites, going kayaking, swimming, shopping, drinking mai tais in the shade with some great people.

I think it's funny how people think a beach vacation only involves lying on a beach! I've been to SW Florida in winter and we did a lot of kayaking, canoeing, bicycling, boat trips through the Everglades, visiting all the nice state parks.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:07 AM

1,974 posts, read 2,717,490 times
We live in the Ouachita Mts. in Western Arkansas so when we go on vacation we go to one of these beach spots.
Dauphin Island, Alabama....my favorite. Not so commercial. Beach house rental rates are fair.
Gulf Shores, Alabama....nice, but commercial and crowded. Expensive.
Pensacola, Florida....same as above.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:19 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,928,266 times
I grew up on both coasts, plus Colorado, so I've seen plenty of beaches and mountains.

The mountains are great, I love the dramatic scenery and bracing air.

HOWEVER--Whether it's just walking, watching the wildlife, or swimming, I prefer the beach. I love Mother Ocean. She never changes, yet is different every day. When we lived in Denver, we never really took enough advantage of the mountains. Now we live 5 minutes from the beach, and I go there every day 12 months a year.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:21 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,849,797 times
BEACH yeah!!

Old 11-12-2013, 03:23 PM

43,562 posts, read 52,699,775 times
Beach.
So much more to do there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or