Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 08:54 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Off the top of your head.

Can be as large as a whole state, or as small as a marker, monument, or part of a building (a restaurant, for example).

10 for me (in no particular order):

1. Alaska

2. Hawaii (Ive been to all of the other 48 states)

3. Crater Lake

4. The Oregon Coast (I've been up and down the Washington coast, and the California coast, but never the Oregon Coast)

5. The Four Corners Monument

6. Arches National Park

7. Monument Valley

8. Mackinac Island (I've been to Petoskey, Mackinaw City, St. Ignace, and Sault Ste. Marie, but I haven't made it out to Mackinac Island)

9. Observation points (in buildings) in NYC:

The top level observation point in the Empire State Building...I've been to the second to the top level (outside) several times. I had a ticket for late in a day for the top. I went to the Brooklyn Bridge that day and found myself in a fascinating conversation that I didn't want to end, and I missed getting back to the ESB. That was my last day in NYC on that trip, and I wasn't able to get back to NYC before that ticket expired (at least then, the purchase was good for x number of days)/

One World Observatory ('top' of One World Trade Center/formerly the Freedom Tower)

10. Athens, GA (music, there are University of Georgia alums in my family, etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 09:51 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Drive the PCH
San Francisco
Hawaii
Alaska
Cross Country Roadtrip
All the National Parks

Old 05-07-2022, 09:57 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
The Four Corners site is just not that interesting. The “corner” isn’t even in the correct location!

However—and this is a really big however—much of the natural scenery in the region is astoundingly beautiful.

(I live in the SW corner of CO.)

Old 05-07-2022, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The Four Corners site is just not that interesting. The “corner” isn’t even in the correct location!

However—and this is a really big however—much of the natural scenery in the region is astoundingly beautiful.

(I live in the SW corner of CO.)
I thought I remembered something about that, but I wasn't sure.

I still want to go there. 'It's a wanting to go where some other family members have gone thing' above an accuracy thing.

Old 05-08-2022, 06:37 AM

401 posts, read 426,946 times
We have been to all 50 states, took us 40 years of traveling, to accomplish the task. One trip with our daughters when they were 16&12, was a month long, from San Diego to Seattle. The difference in the west coast vs east coast was very different with so many interesting places to visit.. Even if you just did California it would be a great trip.

We live in the Philadelphia metro area. If you love gardens, you can spend a few weeks just visiting the 30 gardens in the area as Philly is the American Garden Capital.

Philadelphia is America's Garden Capital

We have been to over 100 gardens in the USA and by far Longwood Gardens is in the top 3.

https://longwoodgardens.org/

Enjoy your trip the USA is a beautiful place to visit!

Tom

Last edited by TLC1957; 05-08-2022 at 06:45 AM..

Old 05-08-2022, 06:55 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
I have been to a lot of the country’s major national parks, but still have a couple to do.

1. The Utah National Parks (doing that in a few weeks)
2. Walking part of the Appalachian trail. - I did this as a tween and called for a medivac. I want to do a part and actually enjoy it.
3. Colorado
4. Death Valley/Joshua Tree - and most of California’s lesser national parks
5. Hawaii
6. Michigan UP
7. Nantucket/Cape Cod
8. Oregon
9. Door County, WI
I am not sure if this counts, but I would like to see PR other than just San Juan

Old 05-08-2022, 10:28 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I thought I remembered something about that, but I wasn't sure.

I still want to go there. 'It's a wanting to go where some other family members have gone thing' above an accuracy thing.
If you’re driving one of the roads that goes there, sure. It just isn’t worth making a detour for, that’s all. Not when so many other great places are near.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:39 PM

700 posts, read 446,903 times
Canoeing in northern MN
somewhere in the Ozarks

Old 05-08-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
If you’re driving one of the roads that goes there, sure. It just isn’t worth making a detour for, that’s all. Not when so many other great places are near.
Yeah, I wouldn't go just for that. I'd at least include Monument Valley.

Then another trip that includes Arches National Park, Cumbres and Toltec Railroad ride, etc (I've spent weeks in Santa Fe and Taos, have driven around the Enchanted Circle, visited the bridge over the Rio Grande that is in the movie Twins, etc., but I've never taken that railway ride).

Old 05-08-2022, 05:55 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
A one way trip to Punalu'u Black Sand Beach

That is all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel