Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 04:44 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times

Advertisements

Which type are you? What are some places that drew you back?

I'm strongly in the "someplace new" camp.

I went back to Guatemala, Paraguay. Chile, Romania.

I have unfulfilled hankering to re-visit Algeria, Kyrgyzstan, Comoros..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 04:52 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
If I really like a place, I'm happy to return again and again. I've been to France 9 times, Israel 5 times, and this fall I'm going back to Tuscany for the third time. In the US, I've visited Chicago countless times. I just love being in these places.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:19 AM

987 posts, read 1,017,187 times
I'm also in the "someplace new" camp, as I feel like life is short and precious, and we have only so many years (if we're lucky) of good health and financial security to explore the world. So when we plan our 1 or 2 big vacations for the year, we almost always start with the premise that we're going somewhere that is new to us.

That said, we're not into checklist travel and aren't trying to rack up as many countries or states as we can for the sake of saying that we've been to X number of places. We like to travel slowly and not move around too much, and we much prefer to spend say a week in a city or area instead of trying to visit 3 different cities in the same amount of time.

But we certainly have some favorite places that we've returned to, and once our daughter was born 9 years ago, we have revisited a number of places and enjoyed seeing them through her eyes.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:13 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
I straddle both. I just love to travel and I love almost every place. I love to see how places evolve and grow. So if you send me back to a city, I'll love it. Perhaps if it was my 5th visit in the last year then I might be over it, but I could go back to any place that I liked and be happy returning once a year.

But then, of course I love seeing new places as well. Just not enough time to do everything...oh well!

Old 05-14-2022, 04:43 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I like to return to places that I have connection to (meaning family, friends or I lived there in the past) but I also happy to go to completely new places.

Old 05-14-2022, 12:50 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
New.

I will never understand those ppl who like go to disney every year or the same boring Caribbean all-inclusive resort.

Maybe get out of your comfort zone a little … that is how you grow

My 2 cent but to each their own

Old 05-15-2022, 06:38 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I straddle both. I just love to travel and I love almost every place. I love to see how places evolve and grow. So if you send me back to a city, I'll love it. Perhaps if it was my 5th visit in the last year then I might be over it, but I could go back to any place that I liked and be happy returning once a year.

But then, of course I love seeing new places as well. Just not enough time to do everything...oh well!
I’m the same. There are some places I will go to again. I think a lot of people go to nearby locations again and again, just because they are convenient and you may only have a weekend. I don’t feel like the time needed to make a flight is worth it for 2 nights, but doing a trip 2-3 hours away by car is fine. Unfortunately there are only so many places you can visit within that timeframe.

I do know people who fly to the same places over and over again and not to visit family. It just seems to me that it might get tedious going to the same city via a longer flight for the 5th time in 10 years. I would rather use that time to go somewhere new.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:54 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
We like going to someplace new but as BD said up post, we're not about "checklist" travel. The only time we visited more than one country on a trip across the Atlantic (or in the case of Asia, across the Pacific) is when we were in the UK and the Eurostar made it very easy to visit Paris for a few days.

When we visited Italy with our kids we started in Rome and stayed in a neighborhood B&B for a week, then traveled by train to Florence and stayed in an self catering apartment, took a bus to Siena and then finished up in Venice in another self catering apartment off one of the many side streets/canals. Traveling this way we really got to know our way around, shopping in local markets and getting invited to local church parties to view soccer matches (awesome!) I speak a little Italian so that probably opened a few more doors for us.

We've visited many other countries since our trip to Italy and as much as I loved it, I don't have any desire to go back.

Old 05-16-2022, 04:03 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
New.

I will never understand those ppl who like go to disney every year or the same boring Caribbean all-inclusive resort.

Maybe get out of your comfort zone a little … that is how you grow

My 2 cent but to each their own
Some people don't want to "grow" when traveling. They want to rest and relax, or they want to recharge themselves in places that they already know they enjoy.

I'm a little of both. I've done repeated visits to Hawaii and also taken multiple cruises, because I love them. But I've also tried to visit a wide variety of national parks and different cities, just to experience the variety.

Old 05-16-2022, 07:13 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I think I'm in the camp of wanting to get a fair sampling of the world before deciding which locations I'd like to travel to over and over again

To this extent, I've been to the following US (listing only the more commonly known locations that I've been to) and international locations:

-Las Vegas (once)
-San Diego (once)
-Los Angeles (once)
-Detroit (once)
-DC (several times, to include living there)
-Baltimore (several times, to include living there)
-New Orleans (several times, to include living there)
-Honolulu (several times, to include living there)
-New York City (several times, to include living there)
-Chicago (several times)
-Minneapolis (once)
-Philadelphia (several times)
-Pensacola (several times)
-San Francisco (once)
-Beijing (once)
-New Delhi and Mumbai (once)
-Istanbul (once)
-Paris (once)
-Oslo (once)
-London and Oxford (once)
-Fukuoka, Sasebo and Okinawa (several times)
-Manila and Subic Bay (once)
-Kota Kinabalu (once)
-Sydney (once, but was there for several months)
-Bermuda (once)

While I still have some locations that I'd like to travel to for the first time--to include locations within Africa and Latin America--I think I have a fairly decent sampling and don't mind traveling back to several of the locations where I've been to, to include Honolulu, New Orleans, DC, NYC, India, Sydney and London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel