U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 08:58 PM

230 posts, read 1,045,947 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. So, we've finally made the big decision and have decided to move to Boston from Long Beach, CA. We secured and paid for a sublet in a great area that we fell in love with when we went to visit and had family that lives in the area take care of all of the logistics (so grateful for good family!). We already have the keys so that's good and we're setting up the utilities and packing, etc.

My husband got a great job and needs to be in Boston on June 11th to sign papers and such so that he can start on the 16th. So, basically. . . we gotta get out of here! Here's the glitch, we're renewing our vows on May 31st, so we can't leave any earlier. So, our target date right now is to leave June 4th. This gives us 7 full days to get there (which I think is more than enough time and accounts for things like accidents, incliment weather, sleepiness, minor illness, etc). That way my husband can have those 5 days after to rest before actually working as well :-)

So my question is . . . . do you know the best route from the LA area to Boston? We got an atlas and were thinking of taking the 80 (because I've heard the 70 is a little crowded in areas. Correct me please if I'm wrong). After that it's a crapshoot and there are a million different ways to go.

We'll be driving a 12' Penske (yeah, we're light packers) and will have our three cats in the truck with us (two separate crates. two in one. one in the other). We're looking for a route so that we can find and book pet-friendly lodging along the way (I have AAA, so if anyone has any experience with pets/AAA, please let me know).

Please let me know if you've done this and can offer some advice. Thanks everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 05:46 AM

605 posts, read 2,219,321 times
MapQuest Maps, Directions, Gas Prices & Business Directory ? This will show you the fastest, most direct route, which is probably what you need.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:14 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,155,973 times
I personally like 70 into Pittsburgh then 79 to 80. Take 80 to 81 toward Wilkes/Barre - Scranton then jump onto 84 . It will take you all the way through New York State, Conn, and into Mass. Just into Mass, get on 90 and it will take you right into Boston. That way there are less toll roads, and you don't have to drive right through downtown New York City. All the other major cities are pretty easy to get around and through. Hartford, can be a pain at times, so plan on hitting it on the off hours if you can. I have taken this route a few times and never have a problem with it.

Oh yeah, by the way, when referring to the freeways and highways when you get the the Northeast (and everywhere else really outside of SoCal) it is just numbers. If you refer to a highway as "The XXX" people will look like you just grew a set of antennas.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:29 AM

Haha about the the freeways and highways. I'm no Socal girl. ;-) I was raised back east and that's something I remember. So funny :-) Thanks for your input!

Old 05-24-2008, 05:40 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,346,592 times
WannaGoHome, my trucking company always routed us (shortest way):

I-15 to I-40 at Barstow, CA.

I-40 to Oklahoma City. I-44 at OKC (Toll to MO border but not that expensive. Would imagine it offsets extra fuel to go a longer route.)
I-44 to St. Louis, MO. where you'll pick up I-70.

I prefer the route Bydand recommends once you get to Pittsburgh, too.

Have a good trip and give us a full report when you arrive in MA!

Old 05-25-2008, 03:03 PM

Hi. Thanks for your input. AAA put us at: I-15 to I-70 then I-76, then I-80/I-35/I-80, then I-280/US-6, then back on I-80/90, then I-480, I-471 which turns into I-90.

This would stop us in, roughly: Grand Junction (the only really long day 11 hours), Lincoln, NE; SOuth Bend, IN and then Syracuse, NY

I really want to go through Colorado and upstate NY, so I like this route. Any other suggestions that include Colorado and upstate? Thanks everyone!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 10,378 times
Best way
I-15 to I-40 at Barstow, CA.

I-40 to Oklahoma City. I-44 at OKC (Toll to MO border but not that expensive.
I-44 to St. Louis, MO. where you'll pick up I-70.

I-70 all the way to the Pensulvenia Turnpike just east of Pittsburgh and stay on the PA turnpike east all the way to the NJ turnpike north all the way to the george Washington Bridge then stay on I-95 north through CT, RI, into MA then take I-93 north to boston.

have your EZ pass with you becasue ALL the tolls in the PA,NJ NY aria accepts them.

Have a good trip and give us a full report when you arrive in MA!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,282 times
Hi Wannagohome,
Hope you arrived in Boston safely and quickly. My boyfriend and I are moving from Boston to LA and were wondering if you had any advice - esp regarding bringing cats along (we also have 3), and aren't sure whether to bring them or ship them later. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or