U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:00 AM

12,275 posts, read 18,401,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavincainjuly View Post
The concern is that we are an interracial couple. Silly, I think, but my friends and one of my professors make it sound like this is a HUGE problem.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah that toothless guy from the movie Deliverance hangs out at highway exits in the south and looks for interracial couples from "Kaliforneee" to terrorize. Heard he keeps a cross to burn in the back of his pickup.

You won't have any problem, and tell your professor that is apparantly caught in some sort of 1964 time warp glitch - welcome to 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 12:42 PM

286 posts, read 1,199,442 times
OK, if you want some great food in Albuquerque, go to Sadie's on 4th Street, between Montano and Osuna. Absolutely great food, but beware - this is a popular spot, so it gets crowded on the weekends. If you want other ABQ food ideas, check out the ABQ forum. There are endless suggestions.

As to traveling on I-40 or thru the south, my husband and I have done a lot of road trips, and have never had any problems (we are multi-racial). I have to agree with the Cracker Barrel suggestion for breakfast - it's just too good, and there are plenty along the way. If you want a real "landmark", there's the Big Texan in Amarillo, which has the 72 oz steak, if only just to say you were there.

Good luck with the move!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:49 PM

51 posts, read 122,920 times
That's what I told her! Clearly, we could not be the only interracial couple ever to drive along highway 40! Sheesh! I am not worried about it. I jsut want to make sure that we don't miss anything. We will be spending several days in Nashville, because i am a HUGE country music fan and we hear the food is great. We'll also hit Graceland. I've talked him out of Dollywood. Any other suggestions?

Old 05-28-2008, 02:13 PM

2,377 posts, read 4,854,146 times
If you go through Nashville.. you must see the Opryland Hotel...you could spend the day there!!(I did)...The atriums...boat rides..yes inside the hotel...the water light show .. the revolving bar...the restaurants.. shops... Great!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:13 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,888,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensgirl View Post
OK, if you want some great food in Albuquerque, go to Sadie's on 4th Street, between Montano and Osuna. Absolutely great food, but beware - this is a popular spot, so it gets crowded on the weekends. If you want other ABQ food ideas, check out the ABQ forum. There are endless suggestions.

As to traveling on I-40 or thru the south, my husband and I have done a lot of road trips, and have never had any problems (we are multi-racial). I have to agree with the Cracker Barrel suggestion for breakfast - it's just too good, and there are plenty along the way. If you want a real "landmark", there's the Big Texan in Amarillo, which has the 72 oz steak, if only just to say you were there.

Good luck with the move!
Kensgirl

Ahhh. The BIG TEXAN!!! I was just telling some Italian friends about it. Eat the 2.3 Kilo steak in one hour and it's FREE. Thanks. I Thought it was Abilene... You are right is was Amarillo.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:36 AM

286 posts, read 1,199,442 times
Bob, if you can eat a 6 lb steak in an hour...it should be free! Me, I can't do it...but it's worth the stop just for the kitsch factor!

Leavincainjuly, I have to agree with the Dollywood thing, but the Smokey Mountains are beautiful. Not sure what your route thru Tenn is, but I really liked Chattanooga - got stuck there when my car broke down, but we ended up really loving the city, and it was a fun stop, especially taking the funicular (sp?) trainride up the hill!

Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 AM

Well, he wanted to go to Dollywood because he thought she would be there with her, um... girls. Although chattanooga sounds fun ( I LOVE aquariums!) it looks like it's a bit out of the way. Although at that point in the trip we may be able to swing it. I wish we had more than 8 days to get to Chapel Hill.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:48 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,184,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavincainjuly View Post
Well, he wanted to go to Dollywood because he thought she would be there with her, um... girls.
More like a whole lotta screaming kids

There is an aquarium in Gatlinburg Ripley's Believe It or Not Aquarium in Gatlinburg Tennessee | Marine Life, Sea Life, Marine Animals, Aquatic Life
Be smart and park at the visitor center outside town and ride the trolley in. Downtown Gatlinburg is hell to drive around or find parking. There is a bypass to get around that if you decide to go through the mountains. The rest of the town is OK if you like an area comprised of mostly tourist tat. We go there every few years just to see the aquarium, then gallop away. Pigeon Forge (the location of Dollywood) is more tourist stuff - lots of outlet malls.

I, too, had a massive eye roll at your professor's warnings. We've lived in NC for 20 years. Interracial couples don't even rate a second glance around here. It's a completely *yawn* event to see them.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:09 AM

Wow! this is great information about stuff that we never even thought of seeing. Please keep it coming! Also, if anyone has driven the whole way out 40 from CA to NC, or at least long stretches of it, what it the terrain like? I am driving a Neon, that will have my breakable stuff and some luggage in it. Is it mountainous? Flat? full of potholes? I know it will be hot, so I am trying to find out about the potential of overheating my tiny little car. Thank you for all of the info!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:39 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,426,519 times
i went on vacation to TN last year and drove the area between nashville & memphis - i really don't see why you would have any issues and saw interacial couples in both cities (although i could miss stuff as i'm not in an interracial marriage)

I absolutely loved that trip - i enjoyed Jacks BBQ on broadway and found the lovelace cafe to be worth the wait a little outside of the city - over by vanderbilt the pancake pantry was great for breakfast

I think there was a corkys in nashville - but i also believe their base is out of memphis - rendevous is also another "famous" bbq spot in memphis - if you watch diners, drive-ins & dives they just did a show on memphis BBQ which didn't feature either, but the places they showed looked phenomenal

if you get a chance in memphis definitely take a minute to go to the civil rights museum at the lorraine motel - very moving stuff

i dig laughlin as it's like a smaller, more run down, senior citizens vegas - $30 rooms and $1 min tables make it a fun trip from phoenix

i have a brother in Abq so i've made the drive across 40 a few times - really nothing too crazy between flag & ABQ - petrified forrest is kind of neat if you want to detour

as for terrain you should be fine once you clear NM until you get into eastern TN - even most of the 40 through AZ is driving on a high plane without all that much climbing

enjoy the trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or