Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:41 PM

286 posts, read 1,322,184 times

Advertisements

You asked about the terrain. Have taken I-40 from Flagstaff thru AZ, NM, TX, OK and then headed south at Memphis. To be honest, the ride from Flagstaff is a blur, but there is a sign at Winslow, AZ - it you're a fan, I think they have a flatbed Ford set up where you can get a picture! NM has a varied terrain. Some sections are hilly in the west, as you're going across the Continental Divide. However, as to steepness, it's not bad. You'll just go up and down hill. Try to avoid ABQ at rush hour, as I-40 and I-25 (known locally as the Big I) can sometimes get a bit busy.

There is a truck traffic, but there are plenty cars and RV's as well. I prefer the I-40 ride to taking I-10. I-10 takes you thru approx. 900 miles in TX, with nothing really to see (plus no cell service, radio and no rest stops) until you get to San Antonio. Then there's a lot of traffic around Houston. I've done that ride a couple times, and always go back to I-40. I find it's faster.

From eastern NM thru to Oklahoma, City, pretty flat, but from east OK to Little Rock, up and down the hills we go. There's actually a nice rest stop in Oklahoma, east of OK, City, which has a lot of info on the Native Americans in the state. East of Little Rock is pretty flat - it's the rice growing area of the state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 06:39 AM

51 posts, read 137,481 times
Follow up- We made it just fine with no problems whatsoever. Believe it or not, our favorite place was Memphis for the food and music, though I won $400 in Laughlin, NV. I also LOVED the Wildhorse saloon in Nashville. The Southern US is amazingly beautiful, something I never would have known had we not taken this trip!

Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,960 times
well, if you are moving to North Carolina for a while, there is no reason to do this during your journey (well, maybe there is depending on your route and where you are ending up) but Chimeny Rock, I think in Asheville (sp) is a MUST see in North Carolina. I've only been there once about 12 years ago but it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. a lovely way to spend a day!
"A scenic attraction in the Blue Ridge Mountains. With hiking trails to the waterfall, unusual rock formations, picnic areas, nature center, and more."
http://www.chimneyrockpark.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel