U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:52 PM

51 posts, read 122,901 times

Advertisements

We are an interracial couple heading from CA to NC to move me there for graduate school. (WM/BF). I like to think that this will not matter, but my California friends have me frightened about travelling through the South by car. We are planning to take 7 days, with one night each in Laughlin, NV, Albuquerque, NM, and Oklahoma City, OK, and two nights each in Wrightsville Beach, NC. Any thoughts on safety, where to stop for gas and food, and sights that must be seen in these cities? What about food in Nashville? Any advice would be great. I think my friends are just snobs, but I have never done anything like this, so I would like to hear from people who know better than I do. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 07:26 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,859,729 times
What's wrong with traveling through the south by car? What is the concern?

Old 05-26-2008, 07:28 PM

The concern is that we are an interracial couple. Silly, I think, but my friends and one of my professors make it sound like this is a HUGE problem.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:55 PM

4,659 posts, read 15,773,408 times
One of your professors in CA or in NC?

I've been all across this country and have seen interracial couples everywhere including where I live which is considered a majority of "whites".

Oh yeah, once you see a Cracker Barrel sign, you do want to eat there as they are yummy and quite different than what you might be used to in CA. Oh, if ordering iced tea, you might need to order it unsweet if you don't like it loaded with sugar as sweet tea is a huge thing out that way

Old 05-26-2008, 08:13 PM

One of my profs in CA.

We are so isolated here, and you meet tons of adults who have never lived anywhere but CA, which makes for widespread misconceptions about the rest of the country. I don't know if discrimination along highway 40 is one of these misconceptions or a fact that others have experienced, so I just want to check. Thank you!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:32 PM

2,369 posts, read 7,758,843 times
Many people that have never lived in the southern states (or even visited the southern states) carry around a lot of misconceptions and stereotypes. Although I have lived in CA for a majority of my life, I've lived in plenty of other places in the US and overseas. In the 1990s I lived in Auburn, Alabama for several years on a contract job assignment. When I tell people here in California that it was a nice place to live and that there are plenty of good places to visit or live in the southeast, I usually get a question back that usually includes something like "did the rednecks bother you there" or "did you ever get pulled over by a cop for no reason and have to pay them a bribe" or something else along the line of a movie or TV show from years ago. Visiting or living in most parts of the south is not that much different than visiting or living in most other parts of the US, except that you may find that people are polite and friendly to you more often than in most other parts of the US.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:50 AM

5,849 posts, read 15,935,833 times
I'm in a small city in Alabama and see interracial couples almost daily. If I go to a bigger city - Huntsville, Birmingham, Nashville - I see them almost constantly. No big deal. However, I will say I rarely see wm/bf.
I think you'll be fine.
Welcome to the South!

Old 05-27-2008, 01:32 PM

Okay, the concensus seems to be that my friends are snobs. Are there any must eat restaurants along 40? My boyfriend is very interested in us eating our way across the country!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:44 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,888,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavincainjuly View Post
Okay, the concensus seems to be that my friends are snobs. Are there any must eat restaurants along 40? My boyfriend is very interested in us eating our way across the country!
Your friends are not necessarily snobs, but perhaps have an unjustified high opinion of themselves as human beings. I was born and raised in the Bay Area. Many people move to California and seek affirmation that they are superior to all others.

Cracker Barrel breakfast is a must. I would pass on them for lunch and dinner.

In Nashville, I think the BBQ joint is called Corkys. Stop and see Graceland.

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 05-27-2008 at 03:20 PM..

Old 05-27-2008, 07:58 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Enjoy your trip to NC!!! I am a native but have also lived in the midwest (loved it!!) Sadly, the South is disparaged in so many ways. Indeed, it is politically incorrect to disparage all other groups in this country - except for Southerners! (well, illegal immigrants - seems to be ok to disparage them, too). People are just people and no one cares about anyone else's ethnicity or cultural heritage (except - if someone is foreign and can teach us something - then we are curious). Southerners are "live and let live" people. Of course, there are some right wingers who have some odd ideas and are judgmental, but that is all over the country, not just in the South.

Come to NC and enjoy our beautiful state! And have a great trip across the country. Your professors are elitists and probably the same people who assume I am uneducated b/c I have a Southern accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or