U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:56 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,941,187 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information on getting a longer Schengen Visa for non-US-citizens and also a longer US-citizen stay in the Schengen Visa countries?

I'm travelling to Europe this fall, and I would like to spend about 4 months going from country-to-country. My fellow traveller is a non-US-citizen and needs a Schengen Visa. I believe we are both required to leave the Schengen areas within 90 days of arrival, but we would prefer to stay for about 110-120 days. Has anyone had any experience with extending their stay in the EU past 90 days? What's the best, cheapest, and most reliable way to legally apply for extended tourism papers?

We might be travelling through Switzerland, Turkey, and other non-Schengen countries, but I think the Schengen Visa "timer" does not "pause" when you are outside of the EU zone.

I have a few other questions as well:

We're backpacking across Europe, and some of the visa requirements are making us a little nervous.

1. How strict are the requirements for having a place of lodging? (EU and UK) Do the dates need to match up exactly, and do you need to have already paid for your stay?

2. Is there a problem with flying out of a different country than the one you entered?

3. Does the 90-day "timer" "pause" if you leave the EU Schengen zone for a week or so?

4. How strict are the "job requirements"? Some of the visa paperwork suggests you need a note from an employer that you will have continued employement when you go home. (Ostensibly to prevent illegal immigration and prove you intend to go home). Does it matter if the travellers are a US citizen and a US Permanent Resident? Both will be unemployed, but with significant economic interests in the US. Can that serve in lieu?

5. How can one spend 110-120 days in the EU Schengen areas rather than the typical 90 days?

Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 02:53 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,888,914 times
An American passport gets you an automatic 90 days. This is not enforced. I stayed in Italy for over a year. No one cares. I went to the Italian visa office at 90 days and they just told me to get out of their office so they would not have to deal with me. You can also just leave the EU before 90 days and return. I hear they are cracking down with fines, but the fines are far less than the airfare.

The ability of your companion to stick around or enter for that matter depends on which country passport he or she has. Travel in that situation can be very difficult as a visa for each country may be required. This can be time consuming and very costly.

1. How strict are the requirements for having a place of lodging? (EU and UK) Do the dates need to match up exactly, and do you need to have already paid for your stay?

Hotels do not care about a visa. They are generally required to copy your passport info and send it on to the authorities for checking. You can pay as you go.

2. Is there a problem with flying out of a different country than the one you entered?

NO

3. Does the 90-day "timer" "pause" if you leave the EU Schengen zone for a week or so?

No one cares about this 90 days. Your companion is a different matter.

4. How strict are the "job requirements"? Some of the visa paperwork suggests you need a note from an employer that you will have continued employement when you go home. (Ostensibly to prevent illegal immigration and prove you intend to go home). Does it matter if the travellers are a US citizen and a US Permanent Resident? Both will be unemployed, but with significant economic interests in the US. Can that serve in lieu?

The US Citizen has no problem. The travel document of the companion will dictate the ability to obtain visas.

5. How can one spend 110-120 days in the EU Schengen areas rather than the typical 90 days?

Just stay until you get asked to leave.

A Lonely Planet or a Let's Go Book will outline all your visa requirements. From the questions you are asking, it sounds as if you can really benefit from one of these.

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 05-27-2008 at 03:05 PM..

Old 05-27-2008, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the info!

I will not overstay since my trip will be tied to my US PR travel companion. The Schengen visa will allow them to move around within the EU zone--assuming it is granted.

They require a separate visa for the UK, Switzerland, Turkey, etc.

I'll probably need to call the embassies for specific answers. Thanks to anyone who responds! Please keep any info you have coming!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Thanks for the info!

I will not overstay since my trip will be tied to my US PR travel companion. The Schengen visa will allow them to move around within the EU zone--assuming it is granted.

They require a separate visa for the UK, Switzerland, Turkey, etc.

I'll probably need to call the embassies for specific answers. Thanks to anyone who responds! Please keep any info you have coming!
Visas take time, photos, a passport and application with fees. I take frontal face photos with a white background, size it up to fit the required dimensions, clean it up and print out sheets of them for me and my family, then I email a digital copy to myself for backup.

Go on the net and download visa applications. You must take the passport or travel doc of the other traveler to the consulate or embassy of the country you request entry. You can do this at the country prior to entry. Get the Turkish visa in your starting place. When in Istanbul get a visa for Italy. In Rome etc. I DO NOT KNOW IF YOU NEED A VISA FOR EACH EU COUNTRY. My US passport does not require visas for the EU, If your friend gets one, I do not know if it is good for the whole EU.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:06 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,697,216 times
I don't think, that a visa is needed for each EU country, but would still check websites, embassies and consulat for proper info about visa requirements.
Most borders in Europe are now open, and don't even have checkpoints anymore, to even check passports and/ or visas.
Although I am not for certain, but...so many people cross borders every day, sometimes only to spend a day in the other country, or just to go shopping.
Could you imagine being required to obtain a Visa for each trip?

And, I agree with the pp.....no one really cares, if you overstay (unless you are getting involved in some illegal activity, for instance, and get picked up by authorities)
and how would or could they possibly enforce it?
Also, I agree....the possible fines are not really something to worry about, IMHO, because they are not as stiff, as they could be.
Hotels/ Motels don't care if you have a passport and/ or visa.
If you are a potential guest, and pay....that's all they need and want. They are not authorities, and can care less.
I think checking into Visa requirements is a must, so you know EXACTLY what you are dealing with...but, I think you worry to much about the "overstaying" policy.
I think, you have nothing to worry about, IMHO.
Good luck with planning your trip.....and just go, and have a blast!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:08 AM

Thanks for all the advice!

One point of clarification: The British Visa (for my companion) online form has a field requiring information on where we will be lodging. I think it includes reservation numbers, telephone, and addresses. I intend to make preliminary bookings, but I was wondering if the government cares if you don't stay in the place you said you would (on the travel visa.)

I'm not worried about hostels checking my papers. Just to clarify.

Thanks again!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:22 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,697,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Thanks for all the advice!

One point of clarification: The British Visa (for my companion) online form has a field requiring information on where we will be lodging. I think it includes reservation numbers, telephone, and addresses. I intend to make preliminary bookings, but I was wondering if the government cares if you don't stay in the place you said you would (on the travel visa.)

I'm not worried about hostels checking my papers. Just to clarify.

Thanks again!
I understand.....
Yes, most countries want to know where you will be staying, after the point of entry.
But, have to assume, that chances are present, that you WON'T stay the ENTIRE length of the vacation time there.
It's a common thing.....and nothing to worry about.
Just book a hotel, use the address.....and do what you want and/ or need to do.
You can even cancel the original hotel reservation after you get there.
There's is no way for authorities to "follow up" on the accurate address and if you really end up staying there....or not.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
I understand.....
Yes, most countries want to know where you will be staying, after the point of entry.
But, have to assume, that chances are present, that you WON'T stay the ENTIRE length of the vacation time there.
It's a common thing.....and nothing to worry about.
Just book a hotel, use the address.....and do what you want and/ or need to do.
You can even cancel the original hotel reservation after you get there.
There's is no way for authorities to "follow up" on the accurate address and if you really end up staying there....or not.
If you get a travel book like Let's Go or Lonely Planet, they list addresses a and names of places to stay.

Last time I crossed the border driving into Italy from Switzerland two years ago there was a border check.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:59 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,917,231 times
Quote:

Last time I crossed the border driving into Italy from Switzerland two years ago there was a border check.
Me too. But the line was so disorganized I think we just bypassed it and got on our train. The conductors were checking passports, though.
Delta has a nice little visa-checking site:
Visa/Passport Info (broken link)
Interesting stuff:
+ US passport holders require visa to enter Russia (confirmed)
+ US passport holders do NOT require visa to visit Ukraine (as of about 2 years ago?)
+ US passport holders can stay in Serbia, Bulgaria, Israel, Romani, Croatia = 90 days each. I didn’t know this; I thought it was only 30 days.
+ Turkey 15€ for 3 month single-entry visa
+ Kazhakstan, visa required $30 one week

Old 06-16-2008, 12:53 PM

I'm back.

After some more research, it looks like the 90-day schengen visa limit is pretty hard-and-fast, so we'll probably either detour through Switzerland and Turkey or just come home early and maybe go to Florida or the Caribbean for a few weeks.

For those who want to know:
-Non-US citizens need to apply for the visa at the consulate of their point of entry (France, for us).
-The 90-day limit pauses when you leave the Schengen zone, but many borders are not enforced. If we get stamped entering in France, then we'll have to be sure to get stamped when we leave the Schengen zone for our transit of Switzerland (another visa) and Turkey (yet another visa), to prove we didn't spend more than 90 days inside the Schengen zone.

Of course, if they don't stamp/scan our documents when we arrive in France, we'll not worry so much about it and just retain our travel ticket stubs so we can prove dates and times.

- The UK, Switzerland, and Turkey (among others) are not part of the Schengen zone, so if you want to travel around Europe for more than 3 months (this includes US passport holders), when you stay in these countries, you can extend your European trip by that many days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel