Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 10:29 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times

Advertisements

So I sit on a beach here in Krabi Thailand. As an American sitting next to another nice American family, we are in full agreement that we ugly Americans have passed the baton over to people of this nation.

I don’t know how to create a poll so I’ll see which one of you can guess the nationality of the new ugly travel champions?

They are loud, very very demanding, rude, grumpy looking and opinionated. It’s apparent the nice sweet Thai hotel staff does not like to deal with them at all, for good reason!

Any guesses?

Last edited by pete98146; 11-22-2022 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 10:42 PM

11,465 posts, read 5,995,398 times
I am going to make a crazy wild guess and say "Chinese" for no other reason than the rapid rise of the Chinese middle class makes me suspect there are a lot more Chinese tourists out there today, and because new money can be kind of rude.

The newest kids are often the most arrogant.

Just a pure guess. I have no rational basis on which to make it but I am going with Chinese tourists.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am going to make a crazy wild guess and say "Chinese" for no other reason than the rapid rise of the Chinese middle class makes me suspect there are a lot more Chinese tourists out there today, and because new money can be kind of rude.

Just a pure guess. I have no rational basis on which to make it but I am going with Chinese tourists.
Thanks Igor. BTW, always enjoy your posts! I’ll view a few more replies before announcing the winner!

Old 11-23-2022, 05:48 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

The Chinese and ASEAN countries are the main visitors to Thailand, followed by the Russians, and then Australians, Brits, Americans etc.

It should however be noted that Thailand has traditionally attracted a sex tourists and middle aged men looking for young girls, and these type of people are not reflective of any nation, they are just pervs.

The other thing Thailand attracts is gap year student back packers, and this is very much the case in terms of Brits and Aussies.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

The Chinese and ASEAN countries are the main visitors to Thailand, followed by the Russians, and then Australians, Brits, Americans etc.

It should however be noted that Thailand has traditionally attracted a sex tourists and middle aged men looking for young girls, and these type of people are not reflective of any nation, they are just pervs.

The other thing Thailand attracts is gap year student back packers, and this is very much the case in terms of Brits and Aussies.
Appreciate the post but nope! We don’t have a winner yet. Keep the guesses coming!

My guess is this resort, Centara Grand, is owned or managed by someone from this country and they advertise HEAVILY to their home country because the couples and large packs keep arriving by the boat load (gotta take a boat to get here). So no they are sex tourists nor backpackers.

Last edited by pete98146; 11-23-2022 at 07:18 AM..

Old 11-23-2022, 07:57 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
So I sit on a beach here in Krabi Thailand. As an American sitting next to another nice American family, we are in full agreement that we ugly Americans have passed the baton over to people of this nation.

I don’t know how to create a poll so I’ll see which one of you can guess the nationality of the new ugly travel champions?

They are loud, very very demanding, rude, grumpy looking and opinionated. It’s apparent the nice sweet Thai hotel staff does not like to deal with them at all, for good reason!

Any guesses?
Americans can have pretty ugly behavior, although from what I've seen travelling Russians are boorish in a way that is notable.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:33 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Indians
Malaysians
Japanese? Japanese tourists can be quite pushy but I don't know if they outdo Americans or Russians in being irritating.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:35 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times
I'm going with Brazilians.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:51 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
My guess is Brits.

Old 11-23-2022, 10:08 AM

409 posts, read 872,539 times
Germans?

I had a professor or Russian History in college who complained about German tourists on more than one occasion, in a non ironic way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel