Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2022, 02:56 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,766 times

Advertisements

I have put off this drive due to weather. We are actually driving to Albany, OR and planned to cut off at Butte to I-15 then west 84 as it seemed like “safer” less mountainous way even if add a few hours.
Looking at weather though it doesn’t look so pretty. I know at this time nothing looks pretty but I HAVE to get their! And only by vehicle.
My question to people who drive this route in winter. If I take the faster way to Spokane then shoot down to Oregon and both Sat/Sun have no weather like rain or snow does this mean nothing? I only say this as I know there will be both in previous days and doesn’t mean it will be as clear as I’d like to think it would be. This area I am speaking of is mostly Missoula to Spokane as the first leg of MT looks to be good. Please, any advice I’m stressing!
Oh yeah, we are driving a minivan with all weather tires, no AWD or 4x4(not sure our type if Rwd or fwd). Pretty good traction in snow. Driver is experienced a truck driver in ND. Me I am a nervous wreck in any mountain drive regardless of time of year. We will have chains(but don’t want to use!) Most important we are not too rushed and can chill a few days along the way if need be. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 04:08 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,600,617 times
The good news is, going west, you'll meet any weather head-on and it'q then quickly behind you. If you need to hole up, it'll cost you less than a day. Do you plan to drive 24, or stop nights?

Interstates won't save you much time in that part of the world, other roadss are lightly traveled and much less stressful and restrictive. Consider 2-lane roads across flat lands.

Old 01-02-2023, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
The good news is, going west, you'll meet any weather head-on and it'q then quickly behind you. If you need to hole up, it'll cost you less than a day. Do you plan to drive 24, or stop nights?

Interstates won't save you much time in that part of the world, other roadss are lightly traveled and much less stressful and restrictive. Consider 2-lane roads across flat lands.
We do plan to stay a few nights along the way. We have only made it to Billings so far due to everyone getting the flu so we plan to resume this week. So when you mention other alternative routes like 2 lane on more flat surfaces which are you speaking of? We can also take longer to do this if need be. What is worrying me more now is those little stops you have to make like gas or if we need to turn off for emergencies and getting stuck with no AWD or 4WD. I say this as it already happened lol. Was innocent but I didn’t gain enough traction going up a mini hill at a gas stop. Had to roll back down it was ok no biggie but just thinking in a much higher elevation thus happening Billings is the ultimate right now no snow, if only it could be like this the whole way lol.

Old 01-02-2023, 06:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
From Billings, stick with the 4 lane until Ritzville, WA, then cut to I - 84 to I -5. 2 lane in Mtns is not as well maintained and frequented in winter. We don't want you following a gps route through the mtns and getting snowbound for the rest of the winter. Or frozen to death.

Just trek on, be reasonable, eventually you will arrive safely.

When you reach Spokane, check the weather forecast for I-84 / The Dalles and Cascade Locks, Oregon. Rain is predicted by Tuesday evening, but does not appear to be freezing rain. If so, follow least weathered route to I-5.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
From Billings, stick with the 4 lane until Ritzville, WA, then cut to I - 84 to I -5. 2 lane in Mtns is not as well maintained and frequented in winter. We don't want you following a gps route through the mtns and getting snowbound for the rest of the winter. Or frozen to death.

Just trek on, be reasonable, eventually you will arrive safely.

When you reach Spokane, check the weather forecast for I-84 / The Dalles and Cascade Locks, Oregon. Rain is predicted by Tuesday evening, but does not appear to be freezing rain. If so, follow least weathered route to I-5.
Yes I think this is route we will take. We will be leaving Thursday. So the part from Missoula to Spokane, if there is weather does it still ok to proceed? Doesn’t look bad this week but does seem spotty in some areas. Thanks!

Old 01-03-2023, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
Yes I think this is route we will take. We will be leaving Thursday. So the part from Missoula to Spokane, if there is weather does it still ok to proceed? Doesn’t look bad this week but does seem spotty in some areas. Thanks!
The Western MT and ID portion of I-90 is not too steep, not too curvy, and well maintained. And... It is the most traveled route.

Weather looks to be warming in Columbia River Gorge. Ritzville is still near freezing.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2023, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The Western MT and ID portion of I-90 is not too steep, not too curvy, and well maintained. And... It is the most traveled route.

Weather looks to be warming in Columbia River Gorge. Ritzville is still near freezing.

Good luck.
Thanks for all your support and advice I feel so blessed to have not hit bad weather on the trip. We did hot rain, wind and fog at the exact moment we passed Lookout pass which scared me and made me nervous for Fourth of July pass but the sec we passed Lookout it completely cleared up and was even sunny. 84 was good some showers but no snow. Once we hit Portland it was pouring rain though. Will hopefully stick to only summer or non winter drives like that again. Montana is so worth those road trips!

Old 01-15-2023, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
,,, Will hopefully stick to only summer or non winter drives like that again. Montana is so worth those road trips!
Enjoy more of ID... Go home in the spring via Lolo Pass (Hwy 12)and enjoy fishing the Clearwater River. End up in Montana's Bitterroot Valley! A great summer road trip.
Hit a bunch of hot springs for overnight (and afternoon naps)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel