Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 09:10 AM

61,673 posts, read 87,060,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I will say, however, that I have no complaints about how I'm treated by airport or airline staff. Both have been more than professional when I've dealt with them. Sure, you have your bad apples, but in my experience they are few and far in between.
I agree. I don't know what OP experienced, but I never felt abused or mistreated by anyone at the airport (and I travel quite a bit).
Be nice, and most people will be nice to you too.
Never had to deal with cancellation, so I just have no opinion about that. Delays, yes - but that's not something that would bother me too much.

Last edited by elnina; 12-29-2022 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 09:19 AM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
I love flying in an aircraft. Nothing relaxes me in quite the same way, BUT I refuse to fly anywhere with any commercial airlines PERIOD. The completely abusive manner in which we as passengers are treated at the airport before during and after boarding angers me. I will now only ride the train service (or drive) which offers a 100% better experience than the airline as well as the lovely view from my seat or the observation car(s). Food is better also. So it takes 5-6 hours from SF to LA by train and 3 hours min at the terminal for a 1 hour flight. Far less stress (IMO anyway.)
What "completely abusive manner"? What airports are you using? What are you doing to provoke abusive behavior towards you?

And btw, train travel is much more expensive, but it's great if you can afford it. Bear in mind, though, that the trains often arrive at their destination hours late, because freight trains have priority on the tracks, so passenger trains get sidelined routinely.

Old 12-29-2022, 09:58 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,861,506 times
Quote:
I love flying in an aircraft. Nothing relaxes me in quite the same way, BUT I refuse to fly anywhere with any commercial airlines PERIOD. The completely abusive manner in which we as passengers are treated at the airport before during and after boarding angers me. I will now only ride the train service (or drive) which offers a 100% better experience than the airline as well as the lovely view from my seat or the observation car(s). Food is better also. So it takes 5-6 hours from SF to LA by train and 3 hours min at the terminal for a 1 hour flight. Far less stress (IMO anyway.)
If you want first-class service, you have to pay for it; the same is true relative to rail transport. That said, I find it difficult to believe anyone is ‘completely abusing’ or mistreating you before, during and after boarding; else, you’d provide (meaningful) specifics (and directly complain to/name the airline).

That said, you’re certainly entitled to board a slow boat to China, if you want. However, most fly relative to time, convenience and perks - particularly when the travel is connected to business and/or is frequent; food is not a crucial issue. The point is to reach one’s destination quickly.

Old 12-29-2022, 10:52 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,697,686 times
I used to say flying was a nice way to travel, even with the nits that need picking. I've backpacked around the world and been on all kinds of miserable transportation, so I always considered domestic air travel to be in the top 2 or 3. For about a decade, I hewed to this opinion.

No longer.

I, and my family, are never flying domestic air again, voluntarily. There are only a few places in America we want to go, anyway, and none of them are worth the hassle.

This past year I've had to visit a dying relative five times--on different airlines each time--and four times my flights were cancelled, stranding me and costing me thousands of dollars and days of work. The relative is now deceased and I am done flying domestic voluntarily, forever.

We were planning trips to NYC, Disney World, Florida's Gulf Coast, and a few other places over the next decade, but now our plan has changed. Instead of visiting those places in the US, we will take international trips on foreign carriers exclusively, or we will just drive to local attractions.

I've flown internationally on foreign carriers as much as I have flown domestically, and it is always a joy. Sure, there are the usual airport and customs annoyances, but the planes ALWAYS go where and whence they are scheduled.

Four former customers here who are just saying "NO" to United States airlines.

I'll do domestic air travel for business if my company sends me and foots the bill. I will still be annoyed when I'm stuck by a cancellation, but at least I'll be getting paid (and getting additional per diem) to be annoyed, rather than spending my own dime. Also, it's a lot easier to rebook 1 person rather than 4.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:21 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,097 times
The completely abusive manner in which we as passengers are treated

I've never seen this, but I have seen passengers be abusive to airline staff.

This past year I've had to visit a dying relative five times--on different airlines each time

Very sad to hear, sincerely. But your reason implies it was an unplanned trip. Unplanned trips lead to bargain hunting -and bargain airlines tend to not really have a backup plan.

Best chance was a mainstream (big3) airline, and the earliest possible flight, with a backup flight on another carrier. Is that how you did it? And you still failed? Four times? You've got to be the most unlucky flyer I've heard of this year.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:40 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
I have no choice but to fly, to visit family thousands of miles away. I have never encountered abusive airline staff. I find if you treat people with respect & politeness, you get it back.

Train travel can be hit & miss also. We took the train from San Francisco to Oregon, & we were picked up by bus in SF & taken to the east bay to get on the train. Some crazy passengers.
We also took the train to Reno a few times, & that always took way longer, due to snow on the lines. We woudl be parked for a few hours while they cleared it.

Last edited by evening sun; 12-29-2022 at 01:24 PM..

Old 12-29-2022, 12:48 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,083,615 times
Quote:
I have always wanted to take the train to New Yawk from here in Tampa but no one else in the family wants to. I think it would be fun and your description makes it more intriguing.

When I was younger, I traveled almost entirely by car which is my preferred method of travel to this day. But time wise an aeroplane is more convenient. It is a 34 hour drive each way from here to Vegas, baby!

Of course, a boat is useful too We used to cruise often (before the pandemic) and would like to begin again. In fact, I have 2 vouchers from Carnival to cruise as they cancelled the last two I booked. A cruise is a more relaxing week -with -the- old- lady- time vacation , whereas Vegas is more of an on the goal with the kid type vacay. `

Old 12-29-2022, 01:44 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,656,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
If you want first-class service, you have to pay for it; the same is true relative to rail transport. That said, I find it difficult to believe anyone is ‘completely abusing’ or mistreating you before, during and after boarding; else, you’d provide (meaningful) specifics (and directly complain to/name the airline).

That said, you’re certainly entitled to board a slow boat to China, if you want. However, most fly relative to time, convenience and perks - particularly when the travel is connected to business and/or is frequent; food is not a crucial issue. The point is to reach one’s destination quickly.
We flew first class from Nashville to Alaska and back on Alaska Airlines in June. Nothing but good things to say about our experience both in the airports and on the planes. To us, well worth the extra cost to avoid flying coach.

Old 12-29-2022, 01:56 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,569 times
We've had our own issues flying with prompts us to continue driving instead. We drive 1,000+ miles back and forth to California multiple times a year. We did a road trip to Maine and the people we met and places we saw on that trip to Maine and back could not be duplicated from sitting in an airplane. It was a road trip if a lifetime with my two teens and it was amazing. Sure flying would have been faster, but we would have missed out on so much. Plus it was cheaper to drive instead of fly, even when you added up the gas and hotel stays.

Some people prefer to fly, despite the issues, we prefer to drive, despite the longer time getting from A to B. To each their own, do what works for you and your family.

Old 12-29-2022, 02:07 PM

5,737 posts, read 4,692,864 times
Flying isn't what it used to be for sure. But to travel long distances you don't really have any other choice.

If the train situation in the US was like the trains in europe, I'd be all for it. But they never will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel