Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 08:04 PM

8 posts, read 8,941 times

Advertisements

I love flying in an aircraft. Nothing relaxes me in quite the same way, BUT I refuse to fly anywhere with any commercial airlines PERIOD. The completely abusive manner in which we as passengers are treated at the airport before during and after boarding angers me. I will now only ride the train service (or drive) which offers a 100% better experience than the airline as well as the lovely view from my seat or the observation car(s). Food is better also. So it takes 5-6 hours from SF to LA by train and 3 hours min at the terminal for a 1 hour flight. Far less stress (IMO anyway.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 08:18 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
I love flying in an aircraft. Nothing relaxes me in quite the same way, BUT I refuse to fly anywhere with any commercial airlines PERIOD. The completely abusive manner in which we as passengers are treated at the airport before during and after boarding angers me. I will now only ride the train service (or drive) which offers a 100% better experience than the airline as well as the lovely view from my seat or the observation car(s). Food is better also. So it takes 5-6 hours from SF to LA by train and 3 hours min at the terminal for a 1 hour flight. Far less stress (IMO anyway.)

Lets see how that goes when you want to get to the East Coast or even somewhere like Denver or Dallas. (I won't even bring up Hawaii or Europe)

Seriously let us know how your experience with the rail service goes after a dozen trips.

The airlines run cattle car service because that is what the customers want. They want low cost service. That means cramming as many people as possible in each aircraft. people who only have carry ons don't see why they should have luggage built into their ticket price

Old 12-28-2022, 08:24 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
I love train travel, but Amtrak's on-time performance outside of the Northeast Corridor is absolutely abysmal. And if I'm going to be delayed, I'd rather it be in a climate-controlled airport with food and restrooms and security personnel readily available, instead of standing outside a locked station building on a dark, lonely platform late at night.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:27 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
If I want to visit my friend in Perth, the choice is a three or four day drive, a commercial airline or a private flight. The train is a once a week tourist trip these days and costs thousands. There are no bus services. Flying has become a necessary evil in a lot of cases.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:28 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
While I hate flying, I live in and commute from Hawaii to the mainland regularly so I have to fly. I will say, however, that I have no complaints about how I'm treated by airport or airline staff. Both have been more than professional when I've dealt with them. Sure, you have your bad apples, but in my experience they are few and far in between.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:37 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
It's a necessary evil. Travelling further than half the country by car is not practical for the vast majority of people due to schedule conflicts. So you gotta fly, and deal with all the crap that may come with that.

For shorter/regional trips though, I absolutely agree I prefer driving to flying. It's cheaper and it's only slightly longer than a day at the airport/on an airplane and you can go at your own pace, in your own vehicle.

Old 12-28-2022, 10:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
I love flying in an aircraft. ... BUT I refuse to fly anywhere with any commercial airlines PERIOD. The completely abusive manner in which we as passengers are treated at the airport before during and after boarding angers me. ...)

OK, fine, - good idea (for you)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I hate flying, I live in and commute from Hawaii to the mainland regularly so I have to fly. I will say, however, that I have no complaints about how I'm treated by airport or airline staff. Both have been more than professional when I've dealt with them. Sure, you have your bad apples, but in my experience they are few and far in between.
Similar here, except I love flying and usually treated just fine. . I Have done thousands of flights, slight hand full of issues. Nothing serious, tho I did have a week delay from a snowstorm in 2019. I had the carrier send me to PHX (free / SWA), where I found something to do in the sun for a week. My perishable food items in checked luggage were smelly by the time I got them to my destination airport.

I have never had lost luggage, including many international trips, Any late luggage has been delivered to my destination or I've been compensated to go pick it up.

I usually fly only with a carry on, but I sometimes take (2) x50# boxes of tools and supplies for home and equipment repair.

Old 12-28-2022, 10:44 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Different airlines have lost my bags 3xs and it took 4 days each time to get them. The worst was going to Poland for a 2 day wedding which meant I needed 2 nice dresses and no luggage until 2 days after the wedding. I should have arrived 2 days before the wedding but arrived the afternoon before because of plane delays. Hit the ground running on Friday afternoon shopping for clothes despite being sleep deprived. All airlines screw up sometimes.

Old 12-28-2022, 11:25 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Quote:
....The completely abusive manner in which we as passengers are treated at the airport before during and after boarding angers me. I will now only ride the train service (or drive) which offers a 100% better experience than the airline as well as the lovely view from my seat or the observation car(s). ....Far less stress (IMO anyway.)
Me too. Last flight we took was pre-Covid and both husband and I got really bad virus from the air travel. There is really no air travel that is worth it to us.

I wish train travel was more feasible but getting to Texas (Houston and Dallas) from Charlotte NC is the pits by train. Which leaves us at auto travel and that is also painful to contemplate. We used to have a van RV and travelled out west from east coast, guess we got spoiled by the comfort and now are older and know the rigors of long distance driving.

Yes we won't be going to Hawaii or Alaska (been there) via plane, maybe Europe by cruise ship when we get the money and energy. Airplanes? Nope.

Old 12-29-2022, 05:06 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
1) Arrive at airport
2) 10-15 minutes to go through the kiosk and then drop off my bag, if I'm checking one (read something on my phone while waiting)
3) 10-15 minutes to go through security (read something on my phone while waiting)
4) Kill ~30 minutes before boarding (hit the restroom, maybe buy a newspaper, read something on my phone while waiting)
5) 10-15 minutes to board and stow my carry-on; a little tedious, sure, but it's ten to fifteen minutes
6) Sit. Read a newspaper. Watch takeoff and climb-out if I have a window seat (and I usually do - I never tire of this). Watch a show/movie. Have a drink. Read a book. Watch approach and landing.
7) De-board; a little tedious, sure, but it's ten to fifteen minutes
8) Grab my bag, if I have one (read something on my phone while waiting)
9) Leave airport

I'm content to sit and read for a few hours. I can go from my home in southern Minnesota to my son's place in Brooklyn in about seven hours door-to-door. For half of a ~$300 round-trip fare? That's not just a bargain, it's freakin' magic! And what do I have to do? Drive a little. Sit and read for a few hours (who ever gets tired of reading? Not me.), or watch something if I feel like it. Oh, and spend maybe an hour total waiting (and, again, most of that time I can read on my phone).

I've never had an issue. I follow the rules. I don't make a fuss. And perhaps most importantly, I don't fly with a pre-emptively unhappy attitude, all the while spreading unhappiness around and looking for any excuse to rationalize my foul mood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel