U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:23 AM

13,322 posts, read 25,578,684 times

Advertisements

I add my vote to the much-overlooked beauty of southern Utah. Driving Route 12, Capitol Reef, the Zion/Bryce/National Staircase parks (with Best Friends Animal Society at Kanab), then up to Moab/Canyonlands/Arches, oh, and southeast, Valley of the Gods, one B&B on some 300,000+ acres, magnificent sights everywhere, and very few people. If you hike, mountain bike, volunteer at Best Friends, ride horses or motorcycles, or just plain drive through- it's like nothing you've ever seen, especially to these East Coast eyes.
Overrrated? Maybe Taos, New Mexico, at least in the summer. Great out of town, though.
Having lived near major East Coast cities most of my life, I'm pretty uninterested in cities. Don't know that any are overrated, but the charms of them seem to be about the same.
Anywhere hot and humid is overrated no matter what it offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 10:50 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,926,509 times
Overrated is Gatlinburg area, that place sucks, there is nothing there and my idea of a "good time" is not shopping as many people seem to think. That was probably the worst place I ever visited.

Also south Florida is overrated, but not always, I find the off season to be nice. Miami clubs suck pretty much, they need to know what entertainment is.

Vegas can add to the list along with Hollywood.

International overrated is the Mona Lisa, the louver is outstanding museum, but I saw 10,000 pieces of art that were way better then the mona lisa. Also on the international list are the great Pyrmids, they were boring and not very impressive except for the Sphinx. The smaller pyrmids in Memphis and the Valley of the Kings in Luxor were a lot better.

Underrated would be the SD area, paticularly 1880 town which I found to be one of the best places I have ever visited, of course I am an old west fan. Also southern Utah does not get much attention but the scenery is great, I could spend weeks out there.

There are many places in Florida off the beaten path that are underrated.

Plus I would add upstate NY, spent a week in a cabin there in the winter, wonderful experience and very nice scenery one would not think of when NY is mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel