U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:57 PM

463 posts, read 1,146,025 times

Advertisements

We would like to go somewhere not too far from South Texas.
Fairly inexpensive.
In the Caribbean.
Great for family's and for scuba diving.
Any suggestions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 PM

9,034 posts, read 16,464,495 times
not in the islands - but have you looked into belize?

I've never been but know quite a few divers who love it - lots of english speaking, relatively inexpensive and enough to keep the kids occupied if they don't need all the fancy gadgets to keep them going

Old 06-04-2008, 11:52 AM

845 posts, read 2,484,394 times
I second Belize. It is not an island, but it in on the Caribbean Sea. It was fairly inexpensive but now airfare is out of control so I have no idea. I was looking into going to Belize in June and flights from Portland were around $500, not too bad and there are plenty of affordable hotels. You have to do a bit more research to find the hotels because Belize is still a growing tourist destination and not as established as other places in the Caribbean.

I wanted to go diving there during the whale shark migration in June, but maybe next year. The have the Great Blue Hole which is a popular diving destination. There is also a barrier reef off of one of the barrier islands. It's the largest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere and the second largest in the world. There are also three atoll reefs. Belize is a great diving destination but, if you want to do something different, Belize is also a hotspot for ecotourism with plenty of nature reserves, preserves and national parks to take the family. And there is also the Mayan ruin sites.

I have never been to Belize but have done a lot of research because I want to go in the near future. I think is a great alternative to the traditional cookie cutter resorts with water slides that you see on a lot of Caribbean Islands.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 PM

25 posts, read 112,702 times
Cozumel.....your dollar will go a little farther compared to Belize.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:48 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,736,896 times
Jamaica

Old 06-05-2008, 06:11 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,008,597 times
Punta Cana Dominican Republic. It's loaded with all inclusive resorts so food and drink won't be an added expense. Check out Iberostar.

There is a shipwreck right off the area- it's visible from the beaches there and it's fabulous for diving.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:00 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,176,906 times
Punta Cana! my God! it's so overrated! every European secretary flies there in winter for a one-week all-inclusive in order to show their tan to their colleagues back at work. They could as well go to the next suntanning boutique!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:12 PM

444 posts, read 1,494,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJHinDE View Post
Cozumel.....your dollar will go a little farther compared to Belize.
My family just returned from Cozumel and they dived every day. My son thinks it is the greatest.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:06 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,008,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Punta Cana! my God! it's so overrated! every European secretary flies there in winter for a one-week all-inclusive in order to show their tan to their colleagues back at work. They could as well go to the next suntanning boutique!
What do European Secretaries have to do with a guy from Texas who wants a relatively inexpensive family vacation?

It's a beautiful resort area, I've stayed at all inclusives throughout the caribbean and I feel that the food and scenery are outstanding there- it's a fantastic value for the price.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:42 AM

463 posts, read 1,146,025 times
All great suggestions. I was really interested in Belize too. Looks like to get to the nice part of Belize you have to fly into Belize City and then take another small plane or boat to get to a resort. Is this true ? Did I also mention would would like some place that is easy to get to ? Last trip we went to St. Lucia and although it was beautiful, it was a 2 hr taxi ride from the airport to the resort. My family was car sick by the time we got there. I haven't checked into Punta Cana yet.So far it looks like Cancun is the least expensive from So TX.
Anymore suggestions ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel