U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:08 AM

463 posts, read 1,146,569 times

Advertisements

I think your right Delta....I have been to Mexico several times and never had a problem. I am in So. TX and never have any problems.
Have you thought about Cabo ? It's pretty nice and it is a very laid back mellow place.
I've heard Ixtapa is cool. I am looking into Cozemel right now. I have been to Puerto Vallarta and it was ...ok...nothing special. Good luck on your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 01:59 PM

75 posts, read 89,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
These kind of things don't really worry me. Life is too short to think about what might happen, especially when the threat is pretty minimal. I might rethink a trip to the middle east right now, but Mexico isn't really on my radar. Besides, I will be steering clear of border locations.

It seems its just another scare tactic like the threat color codes the dept. of homeland security uses. I'm not here to debate that, just to say I'm not worried.

Mexico, here I come!
I LOVE your way of thinking . You're so right, life's too short to spend it worrying and not doing certain things because of fear. Besides, Mexico is really not as bad as they protray it.

Anyway, I think you would get far more responses if you post your exact thread on the Mexico forum, lots of people that frequent that forum are long time Mexico goers and could provide you some great recommendations. Also, somebody else already suggested this, but Cabos I hear is spectacular. It's a little on the expensive side but very worth it (I've never been there but know people who have and say it's absolutely breathtaking.)

Old 06-07-2008, 03:35 PM

Cabo was not expensive.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:52 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,343,087 times
I was going to suggest Cabo. LOVE CABO!!!!!! If you want to see what some of the resort touristy areas USED to be like before they exploded into mini US cities then Cabo is it. We stay at the Villa del Arco which is just inside the city limits. One CAN walk to some places in town from there be it on the street (safe and fine) or down the beach. Taxi's are fine as is renting a car in Cabo. You will find retired Canadians and Americans living in and around Cabo be it in Cabo San Lucas or San Jose Cabo (where the airport is and more on the artsy side than Cabo). You mentioned wanting an all-inclusive - DON'T! Unless your going to be drinking your moneys worth while laying around the pool and eating breakfast there and lunch at the pool. Otherwise there are WAY TOO MANY very good restaurants to dine at in Cabo. The Villa del Arco is not exclusively and "all-inclusive". They have added a "package" you can buy when you check in that does include meals & drinks. Pretty affordable even if you do plan on dining out for dinner in the evenings (which there are PLENTY of places I highly recommend). The del Arco has rooms that go from a Jr Suite w/ a mini kitchen or a full 1-3 bedroom w/ a full kitchen so you can visit the onsite grocery store or the local stores in town or Costco and stock up yourself on drinks (case of water, beer, etc) and some items to snack on and just buy other meals/drinks instead of the all-inclusive package.

Now, we stayed several years ago at the Melia in the Hotel Corridor between San Jose and Cabo and it IS an all-inclusive and the food was HORRIBLE!!! I mean it was just flat out BAD!!! Where we have stayed in Playa that was all-inclusive the food was very good. This was NOT! Sorry but chopped up hot dogs on the dinner buffet do not cut it. For the difference in price I'd rather stay closer IN to Cabo and be on my own for meals & drinks. Besides at most of the all-inclusives in this area (which are not that many as it is more of an "ownership" type or time-share properties) your going to pay dearly for it and not get your monies worth.

Yes, Cabo CAN be more "expensive" but it is just a totally different atmosphere. It is more laid back, relaxed yet w/ an understated "elegance" to it. Since there is MAJOR restrictions on buildings (size, where, height, etc) you won't find the hotel craziness like you do in Cancun or PV. Since Cabo does attract many retirees (mostly "young retirees") from Canada and the U.S. it is more on the time-share and ownership type properties and does not attract the party crowds. You will see some but not near on the level as the other places in Mexico.

The Hotel Corridor - this is a strip located on the highway between San Jose Cabo and Cabo San Lucas. There are many very nice and PRESTIGOUS resorts located along here as well as private residences of some of the well knowns (actors and such) and golf courses. If you stay out here you will HAVE to take a taxi every single time you want to go somewhere or rent a car (we have rented cars and it is not a problem driving here). You are NOT within walking distance of ANY stores at all or other restaurants. I'd recommend staying closer into the city. However, if you stay on the Pacific Ocean side you CAN NOT get in the water at all. You will see many properties list "swimable beach". They will NOT be swimable or even strolling ankle deep on the Pacific side. The undercurrents are VERY BAD on the Pacific side. They are strong on the Sea of Cortez side but NOTHING like the Pacific. While the Pacific side does have some VERY NICE and beautiful resorts (The Finnestra) I'd rather stay on the Sea of Cortez.

Time Shares - you CAN avoid this completely. In the airport once you leave customs stop, get out your dark sunglasses, get your bearings BEFORE you walk thru the frosted sliding glass door. Know which way your going to go once you do (there are only 2 exits out of "the pit" and once out they can't bother you). If you have already prearranged for transportation you will go thru the doors and then to your right and outside. If not and need to catch a shuttle yourself you can go out the doors on the left from "the pit". So get your dark glasses on, grab your bags, hold your head up and walk thru those doors, go straight to either the left or right and out the sliding doors and your free. Once you check in to wherever your staying only if it is a timeshare will they ask you to visit w/ someone when you check in. If your not interested or just flat out don't have time just tell them and they will let you go and that is it. On our first visit to the Villa del Arco which is a timeshare we were a day late getting there and told them we already had things booked the rest of the week (golf and fishing). They left us alone the rest of the time and the only other time we heard anyone say something about a "tour" was while in town while walking past some of the street kiosks but we just kept walking. On our next trip we DID want to tour and had already talked and researched at home the possibility of purchasing. When we arrived and checked in we ourselves went straight to their desk and arranged our "tour". Pretty easy really if you don't want to do it at all. One of the guys we talked to while there and told him "no" actually ended up talking to a few days later in conversation about where we were from and he was from where we live but now lives there. He never asked us about touring or anything just idle chitchat about "home".

If you do check out the Villa del Arco to stay at there are 3 properties w/in their gates (yes, they have a private gated entrance). The Villa del Arco, La Estancia and the Villa del Palmar. The La Estancia is a private residence property located between the Palmar and Arco. The del Arco is the newest and has a new spa that just opened in the fall that is AWESOME!!!! The pools are very relaxing and while there is a small "splash" type area w/ water shooting up for the kiddo's it is not a "kiddy" type place even though families will still feel welcome and at home there. The Palmar has the kids activities and kids club (they tried to put one at Arco but the owners got upset and wanted to keep it more lowkey which is fine w/ us), whale slide, mini putt-putt, etc. I think there was music playing at the Palmar but there is NOT at the Arco except your own that you must keep down to a low level. There is a small (teeny-tiny) store at the Arco but a trolley goes between all 3 properties for free and over at the Palmar there is a grocery store (prices same as other stores in town and coupons in your room to use), wifi cafe, deli, ice cream shop, etc. One night on our last trip it was just dh and I. He was not feeling well (he was BEAT before we even went and it caught up with him). He wanted something to eat but did not feel like going out but nothing heavy and also I was going to get him to take something we did not have. I went by myself at night on the trolley over to the Palmar grocery and never felt like I was in fear of anything and dh was not afraid to let me go either. Even on trips w/ our girls we have let them go together to the store or back to the room if we are at the pool (I always make them come out to the balcony to wave and let us know they made it okay no matter where we are). Pretty much all of Cabo is like this. It is no different than being at home here in the states. Just be observant and know your surroundings and even if you don't act like you do.

Gosh, I want to go now

Old 06-08-2008, 12:35 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,467,714 times
Thank you so much momof2dfw! We are leaning towards Cabo, since neither of us have been there before. We were aware of the issues on the pacific side, so we want to be sure to stay on the Sea of Cortez side. We also would like to be within walking distance of town so thanks for the hotel suggestion. I was leaning towards all-inclusive because whenever we go to Playa it is the best deal. However, I have had bad experiences in PV, so we may just go the al-la-cart thing. We usually only do drinks, breakfast, and maybe lunch at the resorts anyways. We almost always eat out for dinner. I will check out the hotel you suggested for sure. Thanks!

Old 06-08-2008, 03:18 PM

I have only been to Cabo once...And I really liked it.
What's the deal with the current that you are speaking of ? Where is the dividing line between the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific ? I stayed at the Plaza Las Glorias and only went to the beach near there. I can't remember having any problems with a current.
Did soemone mention the have been to Playa Del Carmen ? What's that like.
We are looking for a family area in Mexico that is laid back where I can also do some diving.
Any suggestions ?

Old 06-08-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
I have only been to Cabo once...And I really liked it.
What's the deal with the current that you are speaking of ? Where is the dividing line between the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific ? I stayed at the Plaza Las Glorias and only went to the beach near there. I can't remember having any problems with a current.
Did soemone mention the have been to Playa Del Carmen ? What's that like.
We are looking for a family area in Mexico that is laid back where I can also do some diving.
Any suggestions ?
Having never been to Cabo, I can only speak from what I have heard. I guess the current on the Pacific side is extremely powerful, therefore you cannot swim on that side.

I just talked with my mother who has been to Cabo and she hated it. They went in April and it was cold and rainy the entire time. She thought it was mostly golf resorts and we wouldn't like it. We are in our early 30's, and while we don't go out to clubs, etc. we would like to go somewhere where we can go out after 10pm.

I have been to Playa twice and loved it both times. The first time I went was in 1996 and it was very much a little town. I went back again for my honeymoon in 2002 and it had grown quite a bit. It was still very nice though. We stayed a couple of miles from town in Playacar, but you could rent bikes and ride into town. When I went in 1996 I was with my family, so it is family friendly. I don't dive, but I have heard there is nice diving off of Cozumel. It is a short fairy over from Playa. I would highly recommend going if you have never been.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:45 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,343,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Having never been to Cabo, I can only speak from what I have heard. I guess the current on the Pacific side is extremely powerful, therefore you cannot swim on that side.

I just talked with my mother who has been to Cabo and she hated it. They went in April and it was cold and rainy the entire time. She thought it was mostly golf resorts and we wouldn't like it. We are in our early 30's, and while we don't go out to clubs, etc. we would like to go somewhere where we can go out after 10pm.

I have been to Playa twice and loved it both times. The first time I went was in 1996 and it was very much a little town. I went back again for my honeymoon in 2002 and it had grown quite a bit. It was still very nice though. We stayed a couple of miles from town in Playacar, but you could rent bikes and ride into town. When I went in 1996 I was with my family, so it is family friendly. I don't dive, but I have heard there is nice diving off of Cozumel. It is a short fairy over from Playa. I would highly recommend going if you have never been.

Really. She must have been there the ONLY time they get ANY rain. Cabo is very arid and dry. Up in the "mountains" around there they get some rain but the rest of the time they don't at all.

What to do in Cabo (and I do NOT play golf. Heck, I don't have the attention span for 18 holes of PUTT-PUTT let alone a game that last THAT long ).
1. Zipline. There are two companies in and around Cabo that do ziplines. We have not done this but plan on it next time. The newest one is the one I've heard good things about.

2. ATV rides. My husband and the other guys on one of our trips did this. LOVED IT!!! If you plan on doing this take some long pants (jeans), t-shirt to get dirty/dusty in, closed-toe shoes, bandana's (one for face one for head or a hat). I want to do it now.

3. Clubs. There are clubs. My favorite is of course Cabo Wabo (owned by Sammy Hagar). We eat here everytime we are in Cabo. The club downstairs has a GREAT house band. They are AWESOME!!!! If your there when Sammy happens to be performing (I SO ENVY YOU IF SO) you CAN go and it is FREE! The tickets do NOT go on sale. For those that want to go people camp out overnight on the sidewalk outside the club (Cabo IS that safe) and early in the morning (6am) a group of locals brings the people breakfast and the wristbands are given out. They ask for your ID and write your name on the band. When you come back that night for the concert they check the name on the band and make sure it has not been cut and your ID. If they don't match you can't go in. So DO NOT pay someone ANY amount of money for a wristband to the concert off the Cabo Wabo premises. We are in our 40's and not into the "club scene" but it is a nice place to go and listen to the band (along w/ people watch) and just hangout for an evening.
There are other clubs in Cabo as well that people go to. It is just not as clubby and crazy as Cancun, Cozumel or PV.

4. Rent a boat to go fishing for a day or half day. Marlin are king here as well as some other fish. Whale watching too. Or you can take one of the small glass bottom boat tours of the bay out to the Arch.

5. Take a boat ride out to Lovers Beach for a few hours. Divorce Beach is on the other side of Lovers Beach. LOL!!!

6. Sit by the pool and do NOTHING! Well, practice your arm curls lifting your drink

7. If your into touring the REAL laid back artsy beach/fishing towns of Mexico then rent a car and go visit Todos Santos and La Paz.

8. Surfing. There are some great surfing areas down by San Jose (if you go there go eat at Zippers on the beach and visit Big Tony). People surf right by there as it is on the zipline. The SURF zipline not the one mentioned earlier.

9. Shop. There is a nice mall w/ some neat shops in it and some higher end stores right outside of it by the marina. Then there are all of the other shops and the open area markets to bargain w/ the vendors.

10. Go to the spa. The Villa del Arco has a new spa that opened in the fall. WONDERFUL!!!! OHMYGOSH!!! While your waiting for your massage in the ladies area there is a HUGE hot tub and a cold plunge pool. Afterwards there are the tubs and the steam showers and steam room. Word of warning, if you DO want to get in the hot tub or cold plunge pool (and it IS COLD) your only wearing your robe . Some people are not comfortable w/ that so just beware if you want to but don't want to get exposed in front of someone IF there happens to be someone else there as well. You can take your swimsuit w/ you and wear that for your massage under your robe when you change. They have EVERYTHING you need afterwards to shower and get ready if your not going back to your room.

11. There is MUCH more to do and even in your 30's it can be LOTS OF FUN!!! My husband wants me to take up golf so I can play w/ him. Don't know if I can hack it (well, I'm sure I'd be hacking at the ball ). He has played at several of the courses in Cabo and said they are all GREAT (tough but great).

Old 06-09-2008, 10:26 PM

Thanks again! I have always heard great things about Cabo, so I was a bit surprised. I am really leaning towards it because it would be somewhere new for us. We really do love PV and Playa, but we have been there twice each. It would be nice to explore a new part of Mexico! I will look into it.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:38 PM

6,034 posts, read 13,164,682 times
Cabo San Lucas - absolutely. Been to a few places in Mexico... nothing else compared. It's something everybody should experience at least once. There's something for everybody and somehow it's all spread out just perfectly that no matter where you are - you feel like you've got it all to yourself. At least the times I've been there, that's how it's felt. And it's not that $$ either, really. Rent a time share right on the beach. Oh... my... some of the best fish tacos I've ever had in my life... good food... good good food... and lovely beaches.

And just wanted to add - we stayed each time at the terrasol... it's wonderful... right on the beach and the pools are spectacular... tennis ccourts even and everyone is wonderful. Good chips at the pool bar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel