U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:57 AM

845 posts, read 2,481,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
what is the road that runs along the Wash-Ore border on the Wash side/ Seems like it would be nice.
That is Route 14 also called the Lewis & Clark highway. It mirrors I-84 through the Columbia River Gorge. Driving on either side of the river is gorgeous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 02:42 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,972,002 times
I-89 also deserves a mention, particularly the Vermont portion. Beautiful views through the Green Mountains.

Photos from I-89

Old 07-08-2008, 11:14 AM

44 posts, read 127,665 times
Of those I've been on, I would say I-15 north from Las Vegas through the I-70 split. Although for the first 80 miles or so after leaving Vegas is a huge wasteland - no signs of life. Then take I-70 east toward Denver. The scenery is striking and the feeling of pure isolation on I-70 is eerie. There isn't much more than a tiny town or two for hours.

I know this original post was about interstate highways, but has anyone taken Utah Rt 12 from Bryce Canyon to Capitol Reef NP? Thats the most amazing road I've ever driven.

I also was impressed with I-93 in NH.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:35 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,071 posts, read 1,832,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
I-89 also deserves a mention, particularly the Vermont portion. Beautiful views through the Green Mountains.

Photos from I-89
I would also added up Route I-91 in Vermont only and aggreed with Verseau on I-89 particularly the part from Montpelier till Burlington

Old 07-08-2008, 12:41 PM

237 posts, read 1,008,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Have to toss in another vote for I-70 west of Denver. To narrow it down further I love the stretch around Glenwood Springs.

I think all of the Interstates have some fantastic scenic portions, as well as some real snoozer sections. It would all depend on what an individual finds scenic I guess. I like Mountains, my wife likes ocean views.
I vote for I-70 (w of Denver), also! I was in Glenwood Springs about a month ago and was breathless the entire time - gorgeous!

Old 07-09-2008, 10:32 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,448,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BjhMachine View Post
Of those I've been on, I would say I-15 north from Las Vegas through the I-70 split. Although for the first 80 miles or so after leaving Vegas is a huge wasteland - no signs of life. Then take I-70 east toward Denver. The scenery is striking and the feeling of pure isolation on I-70 is eerie. There isn't much more than a tiny town or two for hours.
There are actually quite a few towns and cities along I-70 between I-15 and Denver, though some of them are fairly small. Some of the larger ones are Richfield, Green River, Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs, Rifle, Vail, Silverthorne, and Golden. Other than a 110 mile stretch west of Green River, these towns are only about 50 miles apart, with lots of smaller ones in between. I have never felt isolated on I-70, even when driving along that 110 mile stretch in the snow last winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjhMachine View Post
I know this original post was about interstate highways, but has anyone taken Utah Rt 12 from Bryce Canyon to Capitol Reef NP? Thats the most amazing road I've ever driven.
I've done the drive through there a couple of times, and also found it to be amazing, though I've found the same to be true of all the backroads I've driven in southern Utah. I just did the drive on Hwy. 128, along the Colorado River from Cisco to Moab last weekend, and was amazed by the scenery. Later, I took US 89 south from I-70 to Rte. 20, and again found the scenery amazing. The same was true for Rte. 20 from US 89 to I-15. Other southern Utah highways that have amazing scenery are US 191, US 163, Hwy. 24, Hwy. 95, Hwy. 14, Hwy. 9, and Hwy. 59.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
That is Route 14 also called the Lewis & Clark highway. It mirrors I-84 through the Columbia River Gorge. Driving on either side of the river is gorgeous.
I had the good fortune of being able to travel a portion of Rte. 30 on the Oregon side of the Gorge this past May. It was beautiful, and offered a different view of the Gorge than I-84. Since this thread is about interstates, though, I'll add that I-84 was also beautiful through this area.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 PM

Another place that I just thought about along an interstate that is beautiful is along I-25, just north of Chugwater, Wyoming. The bluffs along both sides of the highway through this area are gorgeous, especially when everything is green in the early summer.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:12 PM

521 posts, read 1,491,544 times
Pacific Coast Highway is number 1 in the country. Runs from Mexico all the way to Canada. You'll run across San Diego, Santa Monica (Los Angeles), Malibu, Vantura, San Francisco (Golden Gate Bridge).
You get to see everything from the beach, to the forests, to the cities, to the mountains. Been labeled the number 1 highway in all of america.

Last edited by wesside; 07-10-2008 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: end

Old 07-10-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
Pacific Coast Highway is number 1 in the country. Runs from Mexico all the way to Canada. You'll run across San Diego, Santa Monica (Los Angeles), Malibu, Vantura, San Francisco (Golden Gate Bridge).
You get to see everything from the beach, to the forests, to the cities, to the mountains. Been labeled the number 1 highway in all of america.
But, it's not an "Interstate," as designated by the federal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or