U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:27 AM

968 posts, read 1,525,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
And ESPECIALLY exciting during rock slides...
I think the rockslide was on I-40 near the TN/NC border - but I could be wrong. I do remember the alternate routes being given out here in SC for Gamecock fans heading to the S. Carolina/Tennessee game in Knoxville on Halloween night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 12:06 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,303,845 times
I-84 from Portland to Umatilla (Oregon) is something to see as you drive through the Columbia Gorge with its steep, geometric basalt walls.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:23 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,345,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I-84 from Portland to Umatilla (Oregon) is something to see as you drive through the Columbia Gorge with its steep, geometric basalt walls.
YESSS!!! Love the Columbia River Gorge on I-84! Even with snow and fog, it's one scenic interstate! And don't miss seeing Multnomah Falls (just East of Portland)!

Old 11-19-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
YESSS!!! Love the Columbia River Gorge on I-84! Even with snow and fog, it's one scenic interstate! And don't miss seeing Multnomah Falls (just East of Portland)!
Lot of good stuff along there. (I know you know all this but others can benefit.) Going east, it only begins with Multnomah Falls. As you come to Bridge of the Gods there's Beacon Rock and a lot of other hiking (Beacon will test one's resolve on summer afternoons as the sun blisters onto the west face), plus Stevenson and Bonneville Hot Springs. Further on, if you windsurf, Hood River is a big deal. By The Dalles, you're definitely getting to the dry side of the mountains and the vistas open up--stop at the second exit to have pizza at Spooky's, a TD institution (though for some years under other names and concepts, it is true). At Biggs, across on US 97 to see the Stonehenge replica/war memorial and an impressive art museum, Maryhill. After that, the main appeal is the simple immensity and beauty of the Columbia basalts that wall the Gorge, knowing that much of this was carved out in a single violent day by the first of the Ice Age floods. By the time I-84 takes you away from the river toward Pendleton, you'll wonder why you never did this before.

The Washington side is a bit slower (non-freeway) and in parts absolutely empty of human anything, but climbs to greater heights and thus is a place for camera nuts to just go hog wild.

Only downside: the Oregon speed limit is 65. While that's not an unreasonable limit given the curvy nature of the highway in many places, it's lower than many are used to on freeways, and if you have out-of-state tags you'd better not presume 67 or 68 is okay. Don't do like my Russian friend did in his rental car and go 100--the fine for anything exceeding 100 in Oregon is $1000. That is not a typo. I had tried to tell him, but he just has a serious case of leadfoot. Bad place to have it.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Lot of good stuff along there. (I know you know all this but others can benefit.) Going east, it only begins with Multnomah Falls. ...
and even before Multnomah Falls,

This is what I pay high taxes ($33/day) to have as a view from / near my home.

vista house + oregon - Google Images

cape horn + WA - Google Images

At the moment it looks just like this
http://rlv.zcache.com/vista_house_co...45qibm_400.jpg
If it wasn't for 100+" of drizzle during 285 days / yr of cloud cover, I might be tempted to stay. 80 mph winds with freezing rain can be a bit nasty at times too...

Old 11-21-2009, 12:34 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,445,409 times
Quote:
By The Dalles, you're definitely getting to the dry side of the mountains and the vistas open up--stop at the second exit to have pizza at Spooky's, a TD institution (though for some years under other names and concepts, it is true).
It's funny that you mention Spooky's. I took my kids there about 8 years ago while on a trip to The Dalles and places beyond. Of all the places we went on that trip, they can't remember anywhere we went, except Spooky's. They both remind me occasionally that they would like to go back there again. Most recently, my daughter mentioned it about a month ago. The only problem is that it's about 800 miles away.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
It's funny that you mention Spooky's. I took my kids there about 8 years ago while on a trip to The Dalles and places beyond. Of all the places we went on that trip, they can't remember anywhere we went, except Spooky's. They both remind me occasionally that they would like to go back there again. Most recently, my daughter mentioned it about a month ago. The only problem is that it's about 800 miles away.
In my forties, I am convinced it isn't nearly as good as when I was twelve. However, memory is a malleable thing. It may just be that the idea of pizza, a rare enough treat living 25 miles from any town big enough for a decent grocery store, was so delectable my mind made it out to be more than it truly was. I will say, though, that the world shifted a notch back toward its proper state when Spooky's became Spooky's again and stopped trying its various floundering 80s and 90s incarnations--even though a few reviews I've read tend to support my throwback allegiance.

If you ever come that direction again from the east, and you want to get your kids a pizza that might make them forget about Spooky's, try Casa Mia in Kennewick or Richland (25-mile dash north from the I-82/84 interchange near Hermiston, OR). It has the same strong sense of quality ingredients that Spooky's once radiated. Both restaurants are much smaller than cavernous, labyrinthine Spooky's, but do a consistently excellent job at a very reasonable price.

I've also been partial in the past to Pietro's in Hood River, though I'm not sure how it is lately. Usually when we are going that way, we're thinking not of stopping for pizza, but for the ethnic food smorgasbord of Portland.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:53 AM

1,276 posts, read 2,995,560 times
My favorites are the Blue Ridge Pkwy in N.C. and V.A., and also I-93 driving from Boston into N.H. thru the Franconia Notch ending in V.T. Also, I-75 in upper M.I. over the Mackinac Bridge into the U.P. and finally, U.S. 1 thru the Florida Keys and over the 7-mile Bridge.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:10 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,657,271 times
Valley of Suns I believe in Montana, Highway 101 with side trips to the orginal hiway are amazing. You can not not say that Alcan Hiway doesn't count because it insn't inter state it is inter country. Cassier Hiway in BC going to Alaska gets my bet. Haven't been down south but nothing compares to going across BC in the mountains

Old 11-23-2013, 07:36 PM

373 posts, read 483,838 times
I-10 from San Antonio to LA has a cornucopia of scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or