Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:02 PM

675 posts, read 2,683,987 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. The kids and I are planning a cross country drive from MA to CA next week, with pit stops in Wichita, Dallas and Austin. Given the recent tornadic activity across the nation, does anyone have any thoughts, tips etc... on such a drive. I've driven across countyr several times before and love it, but never alone with the kids and never in a year with such unsettled weather. Does anyone else share the same concerns? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 10:21 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,371,808 times
As someone who grew up in tornado alley in Kansas I wouldn't be too concerned about. We are actually getting toward the tail end of spring tornado season and they usually start becoming less now especially in the southern plains where you are heading. If you do come across one of those violent t-storms with the puffy clouds and greenish colored squall lines, try to avoid it but if you get caught in it, best not to keep driving in it. Pull off to the side near an underpass and keep a sharp eye on the clouds for any swirling rotating clouds and wait till it passes which is usually only a few minutes. If you try to drive through it a tornado can drop right down on top of you without you seeing it ahead of time. But the likelihood of anything like that happening is very small.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,721,752 times
No worries. You can see one of those big storms building and rolling across the prairie from 200 miles away. If there's bad weather you'll know it and be able to avoid it. No missing the kind of storms that produce tornadoes. No to mention the plethora of weather warnings.

But your route.....Austin to CA. You're driving I-10? In the summer? Why? oh, the horror.

Absolutely tht most desolate ungodly 2,000 miles you will ever drive. I'll bet after you do it once you won't ever do it again. And if I could convince you, you wouldn't do it the first time either.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
I agree with the others, there is nothing to worry about. If there is a storm on the plains you can see it come a long way off and will have plenty of time to find shelter. The odds of seeing anything are basically zero too. It has been an odd spring only in the fact that these storms have hit so early in the year. I would bring a US Atlas with you that has the counties in each state marked so if there are storm warnings around you can check to see if they are in your path or not.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:34 AM

675 posts, read 2,683,987 times
Thanks for the support. Some of my relatives in Kansas have been concerned, and suggested we don't attempt it. But I didn't think of the fact that you can see for miles out there. Yep, I-10. I've done it before, and it is not fun. But, it is the quickest route from Austin to the CA desert where my in-laws are. I'll come back on the 40.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:55 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
I like I-10. I find the desert beautiful and the driving is easier and more relaxing without all those semi's. And the speed limit is higher. I-40 is just an unpleasant drive, unless you enjoy staring at the rear of semi's and chewing deasel exhaust for 1,000 miles.

"Tornado season" concerns are a non-factor, particularly in mid-June.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:15 PM

2 posts, read 10,845 times
I have driven the coast down the I-5, to the I-10 from Seattle, Wa. to Phoenix, Az. it is quite nice! Easy traffic up and down the west coast on I-5. There is a steep hill down the I-10 to Az., for about 5-10 miles or so. If you just go slow and keep to the inner lanes, you should be golden! There is no barrier though, and the truckers like to speed down it, and will honk at you for going slow! But just ignore them, and your trip will be a nice one! I am looking forward to driving to Texas soon, and I am a little worried about that Java Hurricane in Mexico, do you think this will blow on up to Texas? Should I be worried about tornados? Any tips for driving? I know if I encounter heavy winds down the steep hill on the I-10 in that 17 foot Truck, it may be deadly! Any tips for the travelers like me out there? Any Truckers have advice? They seem to wizz by at 80mph with no worry?

Seriously Concerned About Tornados,

Reply-

Old 10-15-2011, 08:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
I would estimate that the number of tourists who are killed by tornadoes in the USA per year is approximately one, and maybe less.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:24 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daunte slettebak View Post
I have driven the coast down the I-5, to the I-10 from Seattle, Wa. to Phoenix, Az. it is quite nice! Easy traffic up and down the west coast on I-5. There is a steep hill down the I-10 to Az., for about 5-10 miles or so. If you just go slow and keep to the inner lanes, you should be golden! There is no barrier though, and the truckers like to speed down it, and will honk at you for going slow! But just ignore them, and your trip will be a nice one! I am looking forward to driving to Texas soon, and I am a little worried about that Java Hurricane in Mexico, do you think this will blow on up to Texas? Should I be worried about tornados? Any tips for driving? I know if I encounter heavy winds down the steep hill on the I-10 in that 17 foot Truck, it may be deadly! Any tips for the travelers like me out there? Any Truckers have advice? They seem to wizz by at 80mph with no worry?

Seriously Concerned About Tornados,

Reply-

I can't place that steep hill you're talking about going east on I-10, so I have no advice to offer.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:49 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I can't place that steep hill you're talking about going east on I-10, so I have no advice to offer.
I suspect he means the hill from Sunset Point to Black Canyon City on I17
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel