Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 02:04 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeme View Post
I say bring back the train!

No kidding. I have never flown commercial airlines... I have only flown myself privately, but ever since traveling on Amtrak I severely doubt I will ever set foot on a commercial U.S. flight unless it is taking me overseas to Europe or beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 04:35 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
But the extra "fees" to try and make up the difference I do NOT agree with. Just put it down as one price and build in all of the costs of doing business instead of having 5-20 extra "fees". Instead they show one "low cost" but by the time you "finalize" the deal the fees doubled the price.

BTW, I thought airlines were trying to get people to CHECK their bags instead of carrying them on. These extra "fees" are only going to force more and more people to try and carry on their bags vs checking them.
In a lot of instances, the airlines would love to throw out (many of) the fees too. Nowadays, you've got a large number of people that purchase their tickets on comparison sites, and as a result, C2B power is quite large. There also exists a surplus of seats in the market right now, and the announced reductions in service are (economically speaking) step one to equilibrium... so that advertised fare is quite important in terms of competitiveness. For a lot of folks, airline A with no fees and a high fare looks more unattractive than airline B with 49 dollar one way and fees for everything... the ol' $199 looks cheaper than $200 fallacy. Priceline, travelocity, orbitz... you name it, but they always show base fare, and the extreme competitiveness has really backed airlines into a corner.

I'd suggest that the airlines wouldn't mind you carrying on a lot of the time, as long as you abide by the size rules, bag # limitation, 3-1-1, et al. This way, no pi$$ed off people when the bag gets mishandled. The carryon rules also go along way in deterring folks from bringing the kitchen sink - which people love to do when checking.

I agree wholehartedly about paying for terrible service. The problem stems from bad attitudes toward management from the folks dealing with customer service, such as agents and flight attendants... yet so many don't realize that good customer service, and thus increased customer loyalty, could go a long way in getting out of this quagmire... d'oh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel