Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times

Advertisements

THey make some cute back-packs with a long strap now, that are really a form of child lead. I got 2 for my grand-daughters b/c their mother hated the old-time child lead. These provide safety for the child and peace of mind for the adult. They can't dart away from you when you are holding the monkey'd tail (not a very big backpack butvery secure on the chest). You can google child backpack, I got one on eBay and one new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 07:27 PM

812 posts, read 2,306,628 times
The problem isn't people like you who try to think ahead when traveling w/ infants. I have a major problem flying when people do absolutely nothing to quiet their babies and it disturbs the whole plane. I thank you for thinking of others. We were recently grounded on the tarmac for an hour an half and there was a infant screaming the whole time. Needless to say it was outright misery for everyone. I do agree w/ others on making sure there is a lot to keep the baby occupied and happy. And your comfort too!....: )

Old 06-14-2008, 09:37 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,354 times
Just wanted to add that the liquids rules have changed. You can now take juice, formula or milk through security. You just have to take it out and put it on a separate bin. My favorite way to take formula is this (http://www.verybestbaby.com/GoodStart/Nurser.aspx - broken link) 3 oz ready to feed formula. As you use them you throw them away. They work with the nipples from regular bottles. Very convenient.
Regarding strollers. I would select the stroller based on the car you will be riding at your destination. When we go to Europe we can only use umbrella strollers. For US travel I prefer my regular stroller because I can put all my junk in it. It also has cup holders. Security is a pain no matter what so if the stroller doesn't fit through the x-ray machine they can manually check it like they do wheelchairs.
Regarding seats. When you get your seats tell them you want to have an empty seat in between you and the 7yo. When you get to the gate ask them if the seat is still empty. If it is not. Ask them if they can move you to another row with an empty seat in the middle. When you get in the plane take that middle seat and put the baby in it. If someone shows up because they sell the seat just trade them one of your assigned seats. Nobody would want to seat between your 7yo and you. Specially since you will be passing the baby from one to the other.
Regarding the carseat. If the baby is used to sleep in his/her carseat, take it with you to the gate. You can always do gate check in if you don't get the third seat.

Good luck

Old 06-15-2008, 06:49 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times
I flew many times across the atlantic with my boys who are 17 months apart. We started flying with them when they were 6 months old and many times I was alone with them. The first tiem alone was when they were 2 and 3 1/2.

As for babies ; make sure they drink a bottle or suck on a pacifier when they are taking off and landing. It helps a lot. The stroller can be brought to the gate and then taken from the gate when you land. I always had new toys or books for the plane to keep their interest. Bring a clean tee shirt for yourself in case of spillups. Bring two changes of clothes for the baby plus diapers. its always better to have too much than too little. Check in early and you can also board the plane first or so.

Good luck. I still fly with them alone but they are 8 & 9 now and are so experienced. They still ask who gets to sleep on the floor!!

d

Old 06-15-2008, 10:31 AM

48 posts, read 166,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiseg View Post
hipmama are you a Okie? I'm from around Tulsa.
Hey there fellow Oklie! Yep - I am a proud Okie too! Born and raised in Tulsa until 3 yrs ago when we moved to the Charlotte area!

Just FYI - the Tulsa airport is A LOT stricter than Charlotte! You would not think that, but it is!!

Old 06-15-2008, 12:40 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,351,955 times
I've been traveling with my son (now 3yo) since he was just a little baby, and have flown close to a dozen times with him (the longest being 22 hours, including connections!). While two children will undoubtedly be more difficult, you will be fine. Some basic thoughts:
  • You can bring formula and food for the infant, so don't worry about that. You can read up on the current regulations at TSA: Important Information on Traveling With Formula, Breast Milk, and Juice (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm - broken link).
  • You definitely want to bring your stroller. It will make navigating the airport much easier. You will have to take the infant out of the stroller when you pass through security, as the stroller will have to go through the x-ray machine. And you will need to gate-check the stroller.
Put your purse underneath the seat, along with any other stuff (e.g., jackets). And hang the baby bag off the handles. And bring a car seat for the 7 month old and hang it off the back of the stroller. Even if you are flying with the child as a "lap baby", the airline will let you use the seat if there is an open one available. If not, you can gate-check the car seat as well.
  • Probably obvious, but bring enough extra food and formula to cover an extended layover. Same thing with diapers.
  • Pack an extra change of clothes for the kids in the diaper bag, and an extra set for you too. I've heard of some children who get air sick, and you will appreciate a change of clothes if that happens to you!
  • Let the infant suck on a bottle or pacifier during landings, as this can cause ear pain. It doesn't hurt to do this during take offs as well, although in my experience take offs were never a problem. Don't fret if he/she cries - it is common, and most passengers will understand.
  • Bring something to entertain the little ones, like a new Nintendo game card for the older child. This will make the trip go quicker for them.
  • And get to the airport about 1 hour earlier than you would if flying alone. It *will* take longer to navigate the airport, and you don't want to be stressing out about it.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:43 PM

13 posts, read 87,920 times
Thanks it seems like simple stuff when you guys say it but I had truly not thought of some of it. Like take a extra shirt for me in the carry-on, he only pukes on me a couple of a week!!! The TSA link was very helpful.
I feel less stressful now and I'm ready to enjoy. My husband will be with us on the trip back to CLT, so that will be nice.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:31 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,949,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
The problem isn't people like you who try to think ahead when traveling w/ infants. I have a major problem flying when people do absolutely nothing to quiet their babies and it disturbs the whole plane. I thank you for thinking of others. We were recently grounded on the tarmac for an hour an half and there was a infant screaming the whole time. Needless to say it was outright misery for everyone. I do agree w/ others on making sure there is a lot to keep the baby occupied and happy. And your comfort too!....: )

See the problem is not that the parents are not trying to soothe the baby it just is near impossible if there ears will not pop. It is no fun as a parent to have your kid screaming and people looking at you like you are not doing anything. Trust me I want the kid to stop screaming just as much as you but unless I stuff his mouth there really is not to much you can do but to ride it out. So please try to understand it is not the parent goal to "disturb" the whole plane.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:32 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,684,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I still fly with them alone but they are 8 & 9 now and are so experienced. They still ask who gets to sleep on the floor!!

d

Oh Lord, Please tell me that you didn't actually let them sleep on the floor of the plane. The filth, and germs down there are disgusting. I make sure that I put down cardboard before I even kneel down on that carpet. I make sure that I have plenty of rubber gloves when I do any work on the seats, or in the cabin.

I would suggest that people don't kick off their sandals, and put their bare feet on the floor either. You should also look into the seat pockets before reaching in to grab a magazine. We have found used needles on occasion. I know a few of our cleaners that had to get a series of hepatitis shots after being stuck.

I would much rather work in the fuel tanks. At least I know that nobody puked, peed, bled, or died in the fuel tanks.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:00 AM

286 posts, read 1,321,827 times
Just a few other comments, as all the other posters have pretty much given you plenty of info:

1. Recently travelled from Denver to Philly with my kids, by myself. Had plenty of snacks, coloring books, crayons, etc., which was good. We ended up having a 3-1/2 delay at Denver due to bad weather in Philly. So...you can never have too much stuff. Plan for delays.

2. The airlines are usually accomodating about letting parents/adults travelling alone with kids get on the plane first. DO NOT be SHY! Let the gate agent know you want to get on first. You don't want to be caught in the line with all the other passengers.

3. Make sure the 7 year old hits the restroom BEFORE boarding. Trust me on this one! Also, they sell scented plastic diaper bags for used diapers. I recommend having a few on hand, just in case you need to change the baby during the flight. Makes the trip more pleasant for everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel