U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:04 AM

812 posts, read 2,104,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
See the problem is not that the parents are not trying to soothe the baby it just is near impossible if there ears will not pop. It is no fun as a parent to have your kid screaming and people looking at you like you are not doing anything. Trust me I want the kid to stop screaming just as much as you but unless I stuff his mouth there really is not to much you can do but to ride it out. So please try to understand it is not the parent goal to "disturb" the whole plane.

Trust me, some parents let their kids scream and the plane isn't even in mostion so there is no popping in the ear. I had an infant once and he traveled w/ me. Their are bottles, pacifiers, ways of holding a child and talking w/ a child and many other things to keep a child busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 10:08 AM

10,736 posts, read 31,806,692 times
My daughter traveled with me to London from Dallas when she was 3 years old. She didn't scream once.

I brought plenty to keep her busy and at the time (before 911) I was able to bring her own food along as well. She watched cartoons because the plane had a TV in the seat back. I had also gotten her those Crayola Markers that ONLY color when you use their paper. They were a new thing she had never had that I let her play with the first time on the plane.

I highly recommend bringing a portable DVD player and head phones or a laptop to allow them to watch movies. You can get a splitter so you can plug in more then one set of headphones if need be.

I also brought her favorite stuffed toy at the time and her blanket for when she fell asleep. We did fine.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:00 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,484,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
Trust me, some parents let their kids scream and the plane isn't even in mostion so there is no popping in the ear. I had an infant once and he traveled w/ me. Their are bottles, pacifiers, ways of holding a child and talking w/ a child and many other things to keep a child busy.

Funny... We went to DR last year with my 6 and 2 year old. On the way there everything was fine. On the way back all hell broke out with my 2 year old from waiting in line to waiting to get on the plane to the flight to getting in the car to the house. Let me tell you we tried everything, I'll propose this to you. If you can get my kid to stop crying and settle down please come over and help. Keep your looks to yourself. I would be grateful for you to do it. Sometimes babies will be babies and there is nothing you can do to stop them from crying until they are just done. Keeping a two year old busy is crazy they have an attention span of a fly and if they are not hungry they will not eat etc....

Old 06-16-2008, 12:30 PM
rfb

1,889 posts, read 5,184,387 times
Quote:
Trust me, some parents let their kids scream and the plane isn't even in mostion so there is no popping in the ear.
In my experience, most parents try their best to keep their children from being disruptive. But there are inconsiderate people with children, just like there are inconsiderate people without any.
Quote:
I had an infant once and he traveled w/ me. Their are bottles, pacifiers, ways of holding a child and talking w/ a child and many other things to keep a child busy.
There are, and many/most times these things work. But sometimes an infant will cry, despite the parent doing their best to soothe and calm the child.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:15 PM

213 posts, read 464,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
In my experience, most parents try their best to keep their children from being disruptive. But there are inconsiderate people with children, just like there are inconsiderate people without any.

There are, and many/most times these things work. But sometimes an infant will cry, despite the parent doing their best to soothe and calm the child.
I agree 100%. I have flown with small kids and infants and it is incredibly hard work. NO parent wants to hear their child cry, certainly not for an extended period of time and even less with a bunch of judgemental people sitting around clucking at them.

I went on a boat once with my (then) 18 month old. As soon as the engine started he started to scream. Unfortunately there was no way to take him off (it was a barge in a lock) nowhere to go, and he refused to be placated. He screamed like that for 45 minutes until we could get off. I was mortified. But worse, was one evil old biddy muttering to herself the whole time about how inconsiderate I was.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:24 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,083,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiseg View Post
HELP !!! I'm going to be traveling in July with my 7 year and 7 month old grands. It's has been a long time since I traveled with an infant. so any tips would be great ,like can I take his small stroller thru the airport and put it on the plane. What about his baby food?
I havent read thru the whole thread so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but if you don't want to spring for an extra seat for the infant (and don't feel completely comfortable w/ the baby loose in your lap), invest in the 'Baby B'Air'. It's awesome! It's a little flight vest that the baby slips over his/her head and it has a loop in the back that you thread your seatbelt thru. Then, during the flight, the baby is safe during turbulence etc and you are 'hands free'.

We used this w/ our 6 month old in April and it was a lifesaver. Technically, the device is not approved for taking off or landing yet (which means you'd have to put it on during the flight -when over 99% of injuries to children occur anyway) but southwest saw us with it and never mentioned it.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:25 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,631,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiseg View Post
HELP !!! I'm going to be traveling in July with my 7 year and 7 month old grands. It's has been a long time since I traveled with an infant. so any tips would be great ,like can I take his small stroller thru the airport and put it on the plane. What about his baby food?
you can take your regular stroller and they take all strollers as you are entering the plain. they are then brought back up at the same spot when you exit. you may need to wait a couple of minutes, but they will help you open it etc.
use that 7 yr old!!! you will need the extra hands. when going through the scanner you will ALL have to remove your shoes. i am sure you will be carrying formula. be prepared--they may ask you to drink some of it.
the infant is easy. baby will sit on your lap. and the 7yr old i am sure is old enough to be occupied with a book or game.
i dont know if you mentioned if this was an international flight. but in that instance they put all people with babies in the first row, so they get the wall in front--and they give you a crib that hangs off the wall--it's great!

you will do fine. i have flown with my son, on my own a few times when he was about 18 months old.---toddlers are tough. they want to walk and move and when you need to keep them sitting with you, they might scream or cry. and we have been stuck in the plane with delays for at least an hour or two. not fun--lol

Old 06-19-2008, 09:13 AM

2,568 posts, read 5,994,377 times
Take ready to feed formula. They just took my bottle of water yesterday. It was for my back up formula so it wasn't a big deal for me. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:27 PM

115 posts, read 403,093 times
I agree with the suggestion about bringing a portable dvd player and 2 earphones for them to use. You may also want to bring some "new" toys and bring it out if the kids get restless. Usually something new will keep their attention for awhile.

You should definitely reserve your seats when you make your reservation. Make sure you tell them you're traveling with 2 children. Request for the bulkhead seat at the airport. It's the row right behind first class which will give you a bit extra room. If you decide not to purchase a seat, keep in mind the flight may be full and your child will end up sitting on your lap. So if you decide to bring a car seat, I would check first at the counter whether the flight is full. Therefore you can just check the seat in without carrying it all the way to the gate if you know already the flight is full. Depending on the agent, they may or may not block the middle seat for you. Like Snazy said, you want to make the gate agent your new best friend. Usually their will be an option for you to preboard with the children. You'll be ok, I'm sure you'll receive help from your fellow travellers if needed.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:48 AM

56 posts, read 81,931 times
Hello Snazy,just curious and guess you'd know about this as a ticket agent.
will i be able to put 2 kellogs cereal (unpacked from the box) in my hand luggage and 2 in my daughter's plus 2 cookie boxes.
I know no liquid, but just curious if this will be allowed on board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel