U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:43 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,995,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
But again I wouldn't encourge drinking to a 17 year old. Come on now, that's just ridiculous.
I didn't tell him to drink or get drunk. I just told him something he will see as soon as he sets foot in any restaurant. Then again you are looking at the world from your own set of rules. Other people's and countries rules are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 11:53 PM

666 posts, read 2,255,184 times
LOL I don't think getting drunk was ever mentioned...

Old 06-15-2008, 12:43 AM

2,349 posts, read 3,928,786 times
My rules are drink when you can, smoke them if you got them!

I ran into so many from these school groups/tours, I have had a few even break off from their groups and stay with me. It is something about the whole shuffling around like a bunch of cows that they didn't like.

Spain has a great night life, enjoy the freedom!

Old 06-15-2008, 05:15 AM

605 posts, read 2,220,538 times
Quote:
But again I wouldn't encourge drinking to a 17 year old. Come on now, that's just ridiculous.
As ridiculous as it is making someone wait until they are 21 to have one?

Old 06-15-2008, 05:26 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,944,605 times
My almost-19-year-old son took his first solo Eurotrip in May. He visited Barcelona and Madrid and loved both, they were his favorite places, especially Barcelona.

He loved La Sagrada Familia (his photos, with all the cranes, looked just like mine from 30 years ago!) in Barcelona, and the Prado in Madrid.
La Sagrada is like no other cathedral you have ever seen; it is otherworldly, and I mean that in a good way.
In Toledo, my son ran into a school group of 15-16 year olds. He spent part of the afternoon with them.
They all had a little bit to drink, but nobody got out of control. When alcohol use is not a "forbidden fruit," people feel less of an urge to binge.
The pictures were actually pretty cute; he was practicing his Spanish with them, while they were trying out their English with him.

For the flight: sleep if you can. If you can't, I guess you just have to watch the movie and/or read or talk with your friends.

About the south of France: the Chagall Museum in Nice really is worth it.
Antibes has a sandy beach and great people-watching.

I don't know where you are going in Italy, but I imagine Florence will be on the itinerary. Try to enjoy the art because it really is magnificent. Be sure to eat gelato, it is far better than regular ice cream.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:00 AM

650 posts, read 1,111,380 times
I've been to the south of France and northern Spain, and hope you'll love it--sunny and friendly and lovely.

but, since you'll be at the mercy of a school trip, I won't suggest places to go, just a few tips from an old European lady SINCE YOU ASKED (and won't you be sorry haha):

Try your Spanish or French on local people, while smiling and being polite. You might feel a bit foolish, but very often they'll appreciate it! And appreciating sometimes comes with a pleasant surprise or two, like a free dessert at dinner or interesting tips for your free time: happens to me, every summer in France.

For the flight, just be aware of all the baggage restrictions so nothing gets taken off you, bring a big book to read or something to do (in case you can't sleep) and pack lip balm and a small moisturiser because the air's dry as a bone.

Don't drink pots of coffee in the airport, because you can't always get to the toilets furing the flight.

Wear very comfortable shoes that are easy to slip on and off, because of security checks and just comfort during the flight.

Bring a light jacket onto the plane with you because it can get chilly, but don't overpack; it's a misery to be overburdened.

Don't forget your camera, DON'T BE SHY about taking LOTS of great pictures, and for heaven's sake don't leave the camera anywhere.

Tourist groups are a thief magnet, and every country has thieves: don't keep all your money in one place (some in different pockets, your wallet, another amount in your suitcase, etc.), never lose sight of your passport or ticket home, and don't put anything valuable down on a table or bar or seat; put it in your pocket or keep hold of it. My daughter was on a school trip on a train in Italy, and her friend fell asleep with her backpack for a pillow...someone lifted her head while she slept and took EVERYTHING she had. That's bold! And catastrophic. So just stay alert.

AND HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

Last edited by LilyLaLa; 06-15-2008 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-15-2008, 09:30 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,580,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
As ridiculous as it is making someone wait until they are 21 to have one?
Oh my, ummm this "kid" is going to Europe, why not tell him/her about the wonderful sights and things to do there rather than saying "you can get a beer anywhere."

Old 06-15-2008, 09:41 AM

2,568 posts, read 5,995,919 times
Quote:
Oh my, ummm this "kid" is going to Europe, why not tell him/her about the wonderful sights and things to do there rather than saying "you can get a beer anywhere."
First I don't consider a 17 yo a kid". Second he is going on an organized tour so he is not going to decide what things to see.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:50 AM

650 posts, read 1,111,380 times
...and since it's an organised American school tour, alcohol consumption will very likely be banned, so it's a dead point anyhow.

Still, it IS an attraction for a lot of people!! We have a teenage daughter, and visit France every summer. Ordering a beer with his Big Mac gives my husband the grins, and my daughter loves being able to order a glass of wine or beer with her dinners out with us. No big deal, nobody's getting drunk, it's just because it's a rare treat that it does seem special.

Obviously drinking on a class trip abroad is a pretty dumb idea...but knowing that you COULD, if you WANTED to...well, that's just part of the out-of-country experience.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:40 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,032,619 times
Well:i wouldn't be too sure. That girl in Abruba was on a school tour when she went to those bars and got killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or