U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:01 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,252,664 times

Advertisements

In ireland the drinking age is 18. Probably the same in England. Dont forget to get an adaptor for your ipod that will work in Europe ; its a different connection.

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 06:19 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,888,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
In ireland the drinking age is 18. Probably the same in England. Dont forget to get an adaptor for your ipod that will work in Europe ; its a different connection.

d
Note that if your charger has at 100 - 200 on the back it can take both and will automatically adjust to local voltage. The adaptor is tricky. I usually buy mine in Chinatown here in Italy for about a Euro. In London that would be in Leister.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:32 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,621,989 times
some of you sound like ignorant americans--how sad for all americans! you make us look like morons to the rest of the world. all you think about is how there is no age limit for drinking and how they will "drag you from museum to monument".
a trip to europe or anywhere outside your own country should be a learning experience on how others live, build, cook and create art.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:10 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,888,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
some of you sound like ignorant americans--how sad for all americans! you make us look like morons to the rest of the world. all you think about is how there is no age limit for drinking and how they will "drag you from museum to monument".
a trip to europe or anywhere outside your own country should be a learning experience on how others live, build, cook and create art.
I have a cousin in his late 50's who takes cruises all over the world and spends lots of money doing so, Most of it was inherited, but he and his wife have cushy Gov jobs in Central California.

They told me of their trip to Italy. The ship docked in Pisa so they went to Pisa but did not go the one hour to Florence. The highlight of their trip, according to him was Venice. There you could buy a beer and walk around in public. Oh, their only child/son was able to buy 4 watches.

People over here also don't think much of people walking around with ski poles.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:42 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,621,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
I have a cousin in his late 50's who takes cruises all over the world and spends lots of money doing so, Most of it was inherited, but he and his wife have cushy Gov jobs in Central California.

They told me of their trip to Italy. The ship docked in Pisa so they went to Pisa but did not go the one hour to Florence. The highlight of their trip, according to him was Venice. There you could buy a beer and walk around in public. Oh, their only child/son was able to buy 4 watches.

People over here also don't think much of people walking around with ski poles.
i have had the unforunate experience of traveling and seeing other american there and have had to hide the fact that i speak english and am american myself. i wonder why everyone thinks we are arrogant AND stupid at the same time?
could it be because we dont bother to learn the most simple phrases and instead are more likely to yell at the natives, flail our arms in aggitation and ask why in the world everyone does not speak english in order to accomodate US?!!!!
makes me sick really
and here you have a young person, who actually has a chance most dont!!! to see a part of the world completely different from their own. what does the teenager see? an inconvenience, a drinking binge waiting to happen and some possible "jokes and stories" to bring back home about how stupid the tour was, but how awsome that they were hung over anyway.
dont get me started

Old 06-19-2008, 08:58 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,923,905 times
Quote:
The subject of drinking just came up on the sidelines, I still find it funny and sad how much Americans demonize alcohol along with other social norms.

My experience from meeting person upon person is yes, many of these school trips and porganized tours do nothing other than drag people from musuem to museum, tourist shop to tourist shop and leave little time for individual exploration and freedom.

I lived in Europe for a few years, ran into many of these people, as mentioned, even had a few "escape" from their tours and hang out with me and stay at my house, they were tired of it and had enough.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:23 AM

2,568 posts, read 5,989,886 times
Quote:

I brought up the drinking age and I am from Spain. I also went on two organized trips. One from Spain to Italy and one from Wisconsin to Washington DC. You do get taken to too many places in a short time. It eventually does become a blur.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:04 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,917,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
The subject of drinking just came up on the sidelines, I still find it funny and sad how much Americans demonize alcohol along with other social norms.
Exactly. No harm done IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
You do get taken to too many places in a short time. It eventually does become a blur.
One of my kids went on one of those tours where you go from castle to castle in a coach. Those sorts of trips can indeed become a blur. People end up ticking off the sights on little mental check-lists, because they only see them from the window of their vehicle.
However, those whirlwind trips can be the inspiration for better journeys later on.
I've seen a few Americans abroad whose behavior made me cringe.
I've actually seen quite a few cringe-worthy nationalities represented.
I don't think we Yanks have a monopoly on obnoxious tourist behavior, and the OP sounds like he/she has a healthy attitude.
No hand-wringing from me.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:24 PM

666 posts, read 2,253,647 times
Quote:
i have had the unforunate experience of traveling and seeing other american there and have had to hide the fact that i speak english and am american myself. i wonder why everyone thinks we are arrogant AND stupid at the same time?
could it be because we dont bother to learn the most simple phrases and instead are more likely to yell at the natives, flail our arms in aggitation and ask why in the world everyone does not speak english in order to accomodate US?!!!!
makes me sick really
and here you have a young person, who actually has a chance most dont!!! to see a part of the world completely different from their own. what does the teenager see? an inconvenience, a drinking binge waiting to happen and some possible "jokes and stories" to bring back home about how stupid the tour was, but how awsome that they were hung over anyway.
dont get me started
i seriously doubt i will be going on a drinking binge and be hung over the whole trip , but whatever, this whole trip is supossed to be educational and fun, and im going to make the best of it because yes, i am fortunate and i might never be able to go back over to europe again, so im going to do and see all the things i cant here in the U.S. Do the people over there really label Americans as dumb and arrogant? I hope not because most of us arent, and for them to do that really shows that THEY are the dumb/arrogant ones, ya know?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:55 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,923,905 times
No, not everyone thinks Americans are dumb and arrogant, but plenty of Americans, even from my own experience, continue to prove that the steretype is true.

Not American bashing at all, but I lived in Europe for a few years and I did get sick and tired of them. Many come in, act like complete idiots, are demanding, not happy with the customs and ways of the country (they expect and desire for everything to be like in America) and the party crowd when getting drunk was always getting into some sort of trouble, fights, breaking things, causing general disorder, something.

Not all of them of course, but enough for people really to make a quick generalization and to reasonbly assume that the chances are great that the American they see will act the same way.

Others of course get drunk and make a ruckess of course, the Brits for example. But given their numbers in as compared to Americans in many areas of Europe, the rate is defintely and very noticably lower.

Of course it does not help me out knowing that out of the many years spent overseas, the only problem I had was with another American, go figure. he got all drunk, was trying to touch my sister-in-law inappropriatly, then wanted to fight when I intervened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or