U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 11:57 AM

11,218 posts, read 6,533,471 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip in August and I've been searching the travel sites (expedia, travelocity, ect.). I have the destination and hotel picked out, but I notice that the price changes almost daily. It has gone up a lot in the past few days. I know most of these sites work by booking rooms that the hotel can't fill regularly. I have seen some "last minute deals" that are pretty good. I was wondering if I could just book that vacation now and lock in the price, or wait a little bit and see if it comes down a little. Any advice?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 12:15 PM

39,582 posts, read 47,825,261 times
The closer you get to August the higher the price is going to get. To have gotten the bst price, should've booked 6 months ago.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:19 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,995,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
The closer you get to August the higher the price is going to get. To have gotten the bst price, should've booked 6 months ago.
Not necessarily. It depends on the economy. If they don't sell as well as they expected the may still have a sale.
Where are you going? Are you flying too? Did you try priceline?

Old 06-15-2008, 12:41 PM

11,218 posts, read 6,533,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Not necessarily. It depends on the economy. If they don't sell as well as they expected the may still have a sale.
Where are you going? Are you flying too? Did you try priceline?
I want to go to Mexico (los cabos). I'll need to fly and then pay for the hotel. I'd like to do the all-inclusive because I think it's probably a better deal than paying for the hotel and food/drinks separately. I did try priceline, but I think the rates were about the same. I found expedia to be the cheapest.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:49 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,291,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I want to go to Mexico (los cabos). I'll need to fly and then pay for the hotel. I'd like to do the all-inclusive because I think it's probably a better deal than paying for the hotel and food/drinks separately. I did try priceline, but I think the rates were about the same. I found expedia to be the cheapest.
Flying to Cabo is EXPENSIVE no matter what time of year. I was even looking last week for a last minute weekend getaway and the fares on the flights NEVER came down to below $1200 PER PERSON and this was still up until 4 hours before they left! Friends going later in the Fall have already booked their flights and it is over $1000 each. There is no cheap airfare now at all. With the way they keep changing their luggage policies if you book BEFORE the date it goes into effect you don't have to pay that fee.

Okay, as for Cabo and staying at an all-inclusive - DON'T!!!!! There are some places you can stay that once you check in you can purchase an all-inclusive (the property we go to does this). I have stayed at the all-inclusives here and the food SUCKS!!!! I'm not kidding either. Then most of the all-inclusives are out along the Hotel Corridor. You will HAVE to take a cab to go do anything off property as you are WAY too far to walk to anything. Stay closer into town be it Cabo or San Jose (where the airport is located and more of the artsy type city of the two). You might still need to take a cab to some places you want to go to but not for EVERYTHING! There are also WAY TOO MANY very good places to eat in Cabo and San Jose to waste money on the all-inclusive. It is not that expensive to eat out here at all. Stay at a property that has a mini-kitchen and stop at Costco, Walmart or the grocery store and buy a case of water, beer, soft drinks and snacks (munchies or breakfast items) to eat and snack on. Then go out for your dinner in the evenings. You will SAVE money by doing this in the long run and get a MUCH better experience. The all-inclusives all have the one "special" restaurant for you to dine at one night during your stay but you can't make reservations till you get there and by then they are booked. If you do get in it is not crowded (thought it was booked ) and the food is still just "okay". The buffet's for dinner are HORRID!!! Sorry but cutup hot dogs don't cut it for me. The pasta is ewww. Don't even want to know what part of the "chicken" that came from. The dinner we had at the bull fight (tourist trap) was MUCH better than anything we ever had at one of the all-inclusives.

The Villa del Arco where we stay in Cabo has the plan you can purchase when you check-in. They have several restaurants in the 3 properties right there that it is good at but only certain items are not included (like steak & lobster). These restaurants HAVE to be good as they are also serving those that are not purchasing the meal plan otherwise they would not eat there. If your going to drink a lot out by the pool and want a warm breakfast and lunch by the pool then the meal plan would be worth it. If not then don't and save your money for some great meals out at night.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:48 PM

30 posts, read 114,249 times
Can you use miles?

if not...do it now.

Check out Yapta.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:59 PM

39,582 posts, read 47,825,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
No, it depends on how they are booked. We're on their short notice list. We get their rock bottom bargain price offers for those who can go on a short notice. They are not the best rooms.
We have found over the years the best rooms, especially those with views are sold out way in advance. The bargain rates are for the interior rooms near the engines or other nuisance areas. If you're into el cheapo and don't care where they put you, then take the last minute bargains.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:00 PM

55,696 posts, read 74,690,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I'm planning a trip in August and I've been searching the travel sites (expedia, travelocity, ect.). I have the destination and hotel picked out, but I notice that the price changes almost daily. It has gone up a lot in the past few days. I know most of these sites work by booking rooms that the hotel can't fill regularly. I have seen some "last minute deals" that are pretty good. I was wondering if I could just book that vacation now and lock in the price, or wait a little bit and see if it comes down a little. Any advice?

Thanks
now...........

pdcliparst.com
free clipart

Old 06-17-2008, 08:05 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,701,576 times
I am not sure, if it is my "luck" of some sort....or what....But, I've gotten my best deals, when I booked far in advance.
Example: I booked my last trip to Germany last year Dec., in order to travel for April.
It was already high priced, since I was not flexible with my travel dates.
I ended up paying $1700 for 2 airline tickets...the highest price I have ever paid since 1990.
I checked into the prices and availabilities right before we departed (out of curiousity) and found that most of the flights were booked solid, or went up in price to over $2000 !!!
I guess, I really got lucky in a way......huh....even though I already ended up paying an arm and a leg.
Seriously....I think the best travel deals are found:
(1) on the Internet
(2) book in advance
(3) be somewhat flexible with your travel dates
(4) avoid the "all inclusive" deals. (Seriously, there are so many resonable places to eat at EVERYWHERE, and no one is really going to sit around at the hotel all the time.... you venture out. )
If anything, just book it with a breakfast, before you head out for the day to explore the place, town, country you are staying in.
That's just the experience I have made in the past....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or