U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:01 PM

5,714 posts, read 8,622,680 times

Advertisements

Timeshares are mostly scams, this has been very well documented...just research it. Many have tremendous amount of restrictions on travel dates, availablility etc. It's totally inflexible and unless you plan to visit a destination that much it makes no fiscal sense whatsoever. In 99.99% of the cases timeshares are a total waste of money and you are getting 100% scammed, why do you think the sales people are so aggressive about selling them...they make a killing on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 04:16 PM

5 posts, read 5,208 times
We went to the Dominican Republic with RCI and I would not reccomend it to anyone. We were only given that location as it was a last moment decision to go on vacation and that was all RCI had to offer..

Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,079 times
I just bought one on Tuesday the 16th. I know I have 5 days to change my mind. Reading the posts I certainly want to. Does anyone know what I have to do to get out of it. Someone said send them a certified letter. I feel that wont get there in time. PLease help!!!!!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,776 times
the prize for sitting in a 2 hour presentation is a trip to Vegas ( or other choices) incl air thru Spirit. Anyone else done this. do they try to get you into yet another sales pitch?

Old 03-07-2011, 05:02 PM

4,485 posts, read 8,158,457 times
I'm not sure I'll go as far as some to call timeshares a "scam" but I will say most of the people that I know that have invested in them, totally regret it. Rather than doing a time share, just rent with sites like VRBO.com or Homeaway.com You can rent interesting and upscale places in various cities.

Or rather than rent if you want to invest and if you can afford it, just buy a place you like in an interesting city. Or if you live in an interesting city already, check out Home Exchanges via sites like HomeExchange.com My wife and I own many rental properties and we swap and go all over the world with Home Exchanges...they are great.

I'd much rather do the home exchange route vs. time shares so check it out.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:38 PM

72,114 posts, read 83,786,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
everybody I talked to that bought in a timeshare regretted it for various reasons.In the end they were disapointedin times avialble and the fact that many times they could have gotten a condo etc in the same place far cheaper.
I have to totally disagree: it depends on how much one pays and how much they use them. I know so many people who are happy with theirs, but the secret is: do not buy new and make sure you don't have yearly fees that will break you. yes, the biggest problem is availibility when you want to use. But normally, if you stay at the one in the resort where you purchased you have no problems, It is when you want to trade your week for something else.

The secret is be very careful what you buy. To the OP, Wyndom properties are very nice, but I would go on line and see if you can't find something less expensive. Some people are not happy, texdav says and will sell at a huge loss. Some buy on impulse and end up not being able to afford the payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel