U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:46 PM

8 posts, read 23,329 times

Advertisements

Hmm we're in a similar position where we'll have to move with our cats, from oregon to Indiana, in August. Not looking forward to it. 500-600 miles a day is also approximately what we had in mind. Last year I took a trip with my mother, from Oregon to Wisconsin and then down to Texas (to see the Little House on the Prairie Museums, and then fly home). We took 13 days and saw 13 states. On some days we managed around 600 miles with brief sightseeing/food stops, which was do-able, but six days in a row would be tough. Take a little time to stop here and there and see some sights, it'll help take your mind off the long drive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 10:52 PM

10,736 posts, read 31,809,572 times
My suggest for traveling with children is to ONE take an ice chest in each vehicle with snacks. I usually buy things from the deli of your favorite grocery store like the chicken they make or sandwiches that some make because fast food get NASTY fast.

I also would make sure they both have portable DVD players. If you have one Portable DVD player and a laptop that plays DVDs that will do AND of course they both need headphones. Those will be invaluable.

One time when we flew to the UK from Dallas, I got my daughter who was then 3 years old a set of special markers and paper, they only worked on THAT paper and she had never seen them before so she had that and her regular crayons. That kept her occupied as well.

Nothing makes me crazy quicker then NOISE while I'm trying to drive.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:24 PM

681 posts, read 2,600,013 times
As long as you take a "southern route" you should be able to avoid any early snow storms. With the Penske your dh will not be able to make as fast a time as you might think, so don't be disappointed if it takes longer than you've planned. Allow for that. Unless he has a commercial drivers license or truck experience it will take him a couple of days to get comfortable with the extra size, etc., of the truck.

A couple of inexpensive handi-talkie radios might be more convenient to use between vehicles as long as you're within a mile or so of each other, instead of using your cell phones - unless you both have Nextels with Direct Connect.

When I dove back and forth cross country with my family last I made my refueling and pit stops at Pilot Truck Stops for the best local fuel prices and all the travelers support services I wanted, even though I used the front automobile fuel islands and not the truck pumps in the back. You might want to look them up on the net because they are pretty evenly spaced out along the interstates and convenient to off ramps, and you can pay at the pump. Some of the others make you come inside before you refuel, which is a total waste, imo.

Drive safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or