U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:45 PM

213 posts, read 464,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLev View Post
Hello

I'm new to this site. I'm going to Israel in 13 days and I'll have about a week on my own after I'm done there to travel. I'd love to go to Egypt. Do I need special visas, also any recommendations for budget travel for a female solo traveler? I want to spend a few days there, see the pyramids, museums, local culture, maybe a Nile cruise.
Thanks!
I'm female. I travelled to Egypt from Israel many years ago. You need to get a visa for Egypt and at the time the recommendation was a 3 day "tour" (really transportation there and 3 days in a hotel) needed to be booked to get the visa.
As a woman it is a difficult place to travel. I travelled with a male friend which offered me some protection, but did feel quite exposed (and was propostioned several times) if I went out alone. Two female friends travelled together and they did NOT have a good time. I would definitely recommend very modest dress (long skirt, long sleeved shirt) which would make you a little less of a target. But do remember that the culture is quite different than in the West.

As for places to see - the pyramids, Egyptian museum and many other sites are all either inside or close to Cairo, easily reached and heavily visited by tourists so you would certainly be safe there.

I had a fantastic time when there, we spent a month in the country and travelled a pretty big chunk of it with our trusty Lonely Planet guide.

Just travel smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 06:17 PM

351 posts, read 1,720,591 times
We used See Egypt, which was recommended by expats living in Cairo. I thought their rates were quite good (something like $2,000 per person for 2 weeks, including hotel at Marriot and comparable, boat cabins and domestic airfare). We "did" Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Abu Cimbal (special request and the highlight of the trip). We passed on the Red Sea. Their communications weren't great, but the trip absolutely WAS. I'd recommend them strongly, and would recommend a tour company (and I don't normally). Figuring out the airfare alone, the open/close times, etc is a challenge.

Have fun!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:14 AM

12,299 posts, read 18,421,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLev View Post
Hello

I'm new to this site. I'm going to Israel in 13 days and I'll have about a week on my own after I'm done there to travel. I'd love to go to Egypt. Do I need special visas, also any recommendations for budget travel for a female solo traveler? I want to spend a few days there, see the pyramids, museums, local culture, maybe a Nile cruise.
Thanks!
I remember the days when you couldn't travel directly to Egypt from Israel. So much has changed, now Egypt has resorts for Israelies.

From my research and a trip a long long time ago I can give you a few pointers - if you are a citizen of the USA you can get a visa at your point of entrace I think and don't need to apply before hand, but you may want to verify.
Being a female alone, you just have to understand that you are entering a muslim country. What Lastinshow stated in her response is the treatement I would expect. Men will assume things about a single female. Not that its dangerous, Egypt is a heavily policed state, I'm talking police with automatic weapons at every corner, they are very sensative on the safety of it's tourist sites. But, you will have to deal with hassles. Dress conservatively, that means no shorts or even sleveless shirts. You CAN travel independently in Egypt but it takes some careful planning, but for a single female I would recommend a tour group or at least a guide.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Many of us are against organized tours and prefer independent travel because it takes us out of some of the wonder and magic of travel - lack of contact with the local population, lack of ability to change the intenerary on the fly, you feel like you are herded around like cattle, you can't see the hidden unspoiled spots of the place you are visiting (just the same worn out tourist spots), and you just miss those accidental moments of cultural enlightenment that can only come about by screw-ups and mistakes during independent travel (i.e. missing a train connection and having to ask the locals for info, and then getting invited to a home made dinner with the locals family).

But it's not for everyone. It takes some research, a sense of adventure as well as a sense of humour, and some risk.
I travel a lot for work and holiday and have always gone on my own. This includes about 90+ trips to Asia, Europe and Central America over the past 15 years. Just want you to know that for a baseline. My wife and I are wanting to go to Egypt next March which would include a Nile cruise. I have only been to two Muslim countries (Malaysia and Indonesia) and are seriously thinking of a guided tour. It just seems like it would be difficult to include a cruise without a travel guide. Two questions:

Is the temp in March good?

Would you still suggest going on our own?

Old 07-14-2008, 08:50 PM

5,697 posts, read 8,607,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Many of us are against organized tours and prefer independent travel because it takes us out of some of the wonder and magic of travel -
I 100% agree with this. But I think independant travel suits only a certain personality type, those that have an above average sense of adventure and don't mind roughing it out a little. Some people are just not cut out for it.

I have always done my own research and fixed my own itineraries, had plenty of mis-adventures but those are my best stories and experiences, I came to learn so much more about the country and people by being in those situations and interacting with the locals.

The only time I take tours is when it's for a few hours. I never take tours that encompass a multi-day itinerary.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:21 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,601,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asooner View Post
I would like to make a trip to Egypt. I understand that to get the most out of this trip (and reduce the forseen hassles) that you should use a tour company. If anyone has any experience with a tour company on an Egyptian trip, I would appreciate your comments/suggestions.
My name is monaliza , from Egypt , you could not immagine my feelings when I read this thread . I was so afraid when I enrolled on this page how people excepted me as an Egyptain , so I have just written my location( Egypt) on the top of my page . I think that most of people did not notice it . now I realize that people give you some information for your trip . This situation encourage me to tell my nationally . back to your question I don't know any information about tour company ,but I will ask and tell you soon . good trip.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,738 times
Default Egypt and Israel

I am a newby to this site - we are taking a cruise and will be docking for 1 day in Haifa and Ashdod and 2 days in Alexandria - we do not like organized tours - "they're only as fast as the slowest person" - are there taxis or vans that offer one day or two day tours to Jeruselem, the pyramids, etc. at these sites?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel