U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:42 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,318,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Alka, are you speaking from personal experience regarding Jamaica? Seems like such a shame that an island that is reportably so beautiful has such a bad reputation.

I like cruises alot but to feel like I'm getting the most out of each port I always feel compelled to research each place and then book independent excursions. By the time you book the shore excursions, and add in the "extras" the real cost of cruise can add up too. That said, the above RC cruise looks like a good one. If you haven't been there honeyryder, you might want to visit the cruisecritic bulletin board. Royal Caribbean is a great cruise line.
I never had any problem in Jamaica. There are a few bums here and there but the police keep them away from the resorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 04:09 PM

144 posts, read 762,854 times
I live in Montego Bay and can tell you first hand that the media has hyped this whole thing up...of course Sandals doesn't want you to leave..they don't want you to do something stupid and then get sued and they want you to spend all your money on their stores and shops and on their food and not on the locals who work their own stands or shops. Yes there is violence but it's rarely random. I am white and walk all over Mo Bay and have never ever had a problem...so big deal someone asks you if you want something for you head..you just say no thank you and move on. Not a big deal. JA is wonderful country full of wonderful people and it saddens me that ppl won't come and see for themselves.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:08 AM

198 posts, read 590,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
St.Maarten/St.Martin is a great island with fantastic shopping opportunities in both Phillpsburg and Marigot, scrumptious dining in Grand Case, and wonderful beaches all around the island. It also has the very large plus of being a relatively safe place to wander around in.

The only fly in the ointment I can see from the point of view of the original poster is affordability. Food, accomodation and entertainment for 2 people in SXM for 7 days would quite likely surpass the $2000 budget limit.
I think it depends on where you stay- if you have access to renting a timeshare, it's not too bad. If you don't, some of the hotels on the dutch side are cheaper than on the french side. I went there last december and it was beautiful! The snorkeling out there was amazing on the north side of the island as well!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 4,130 times
You must try Saint John in the USVI. Plenty

Old 07-22-2008, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 4,130 times
Default St John

You must try Saint John in the USVI. Plenty of flights to Saint Thomas, quick ferry to St John. Incredible beaches, snorkeling, dining. Most of the island is state park. Rent a jeep and explore it all. Lots of accommodation options.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:45 AM

184 posts, read 321,959 times
might be more expensive- but try to go during each islands Carnival season to really get a real cultural experience you will never forget

Trinidad & Tobago (TnT Carnival)- Jan through Ash Wednesday
Cayman Islands (Batabano)- April-May
St Kitts & Nevis- Nov through Jan
USVI- Nov through Jan
St Lucia- April through May
Barbados (Cropover)- July through August
Antigua & Barbuda- July through August
St Vincent & the Grenadines (Vincy Mas)- June through July
Grenada (Spice Mas)- July through August
Guyana- March through April

Old 11-11-2008, 12:56 PM

22 posts, read 42,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alka View Post
Just a thought.. there is a great itinerary on Royal Caribbean out of San Juan:
Departure Port: San Juan, Puerto Rico
Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; St. John's, Antigua; Castries, St. Lucia; Bridgetown, Barbados; San Juan, Puerto Rico

it's a 7 day cruise, and you are going to be in 6 different ports.Those are beautiful islands!
You can arrive a day or two before your cruise,explore San Juan and than get on the ship a go visit 6 other islands.
I think you could do it with in your budget.
I agree, a cruise is your best bet.
I did a similar one 8 years ago. PR, St. Thomas, Tortola, Martinique, Barbados, St. Kitts, Dominica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel