U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 06:51 PM

681 posts, read 2,597,694 times

Advertisements

Yes, Capt. Dan, the fire situation around Big Sur and Gorda could adversely effect through traffic on Hwy 1 right now. Before leaving SLO, or Monterey at the other end, check with CalTrans and the locals. Hwy 1 is beautiful, but slow and can often be blocked.

"Has anyone ever driven from LA to SanFran before?" [Sorry, had to stop rolling around on the floor]

And I know New Jersey is a long way away, but "kilometers"? Are we being over run by Metricists from the east?

Last edited by Franklyn; 06-29-2008 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: finish thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 09:41 PM

896 posts, read 3,926,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post

"Has anyone ever driven from LA to SanFran before?" [Sorry, had to stop rolling around on the floor]
Glad you found that funny but after asking a few people the same question, I got looks of disdain and responses that they would never drive there and flying is so much easier. Didn't think I'd get the same disdain on this forum. Guess I was wrong..

Old 06-29-2008, 10:08 PM

215 posts, read 748,281 times
I don't think that comment was meant out of malice.

Just a word of advice: I would recommend that on your way out of San Luis Obispo County, head on over to the 101. Taking highway-1 northbound to Monterey is a huge pain (I think), and was I think a 90 minute drive, which took my dad about 2 hours or so especially at night time. It's nothing but this endless mess of repetitive curvy road (almost motion sickness inducing) and hardly a view of the ocean, so if anything save that route for when you're heading back down.

Another cool thing is that when you're in SLO County, particularly in San Simeon on highway 1, you can see Hearst Castle nestled up on top of the hill. Do you plan on visiting that place? I haven't personally gone since my family didn't have enough time.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
Glad you found that funny but after asking a few people the same question, I got looks of disdain and responses that they would never drive there and flying is so much easier. Didn't think I'd get the same disdain on this forum. Guess I was wrong..
No "disdain" intended. Mea Culpa if it was taken that way. Yeah, like flying anywhere is so much "easier" these days. I think you have the right idea.

Every day I-5 is filled with folk driving between the two cities. Probably more than three times the number that fly. Most of them brag about what a short time it takes them, [Less time, even, than NorthNJ] either because of the way they drive or what they drive. [Its a testosterone thing] So if you do take I-5 in either direction, don't go to sleep in the fast lane. Best to use the center lane and let the Ferrari's suddenly scream past on the left. They will scare you, sometimes. And CHP uses a lot of aircraft out there where its flat and boring. If you see more than one cop car within a mile, you can be pretty sure a plane is up there somewhere.

Oh, and the right lane is too bumpy to drive in very far because of truck traffic grooving.

Have a safe trip

PS: My favorite route these days is I-5 out of LA until State Route 46 near West Hills, then 46 to State Route 101 at Paso Robles, then 101 on up into the Peninsula - entering Silicon Valley at the San Jose end of the bay. I just love the country thereabouts. Its like a completely different state.

Last edited by Franklyn; 06-30-2008 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-30-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambazon View Post
I don't think that comment was meant out of malice. Just a word of advice: I would recommend that on your way out of San Luis Obispo County, head on over to the 101. Taking highway-1 northbound to Monterey is a huge pain (I think), and was I think a 90 minute drive, which took my dad about 2 hours or so especially at night time. It's nothing but this endless mess of repetitive curvy road (almost motion sickness inducing) and hardly a view of the ocean, so if anything save that route for when you're heading back down. Another cool thing is that when you're in SLO County, particularly in San Simeon on highway 1, you can see Hearst Castle nestled up on top of the hill. Do you plan on visiting that place? I haven't personally gone since my family didn't have enough time.
Thanks for coming to my defense. You were right.

It regrets me to tell you that "hardly a view of the ocean" is true only if it is driven at night or if one is so car-sick from the curvy roads that one keeps their eyes fixed downward on the floorboards. Otherwise, in the many miles between Hearst Castle and Bixby Bridge, there is less and than a tenth of a mile where one might be out-of-sight of the Pacific Ocean. You might want to review your recollections of that area. It's only when you reach Big Sur that you leave the coast briefly for a couple of miles, but then you go back to it at the lighthouse and run along the ocean front all the way up to Point Lobos.

For raw beauty, in the daylight and no matter what kind of day it is, this has to be America's most beautiful highway. And I've seen a bunch of beautiful highways.

Anyway, thanks again - and cheers.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:06 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,369,126 times
Quote:
I don't think that comment was meant out of malice.

Just a word of advice: I would recommend that on your way out of San Luis Obispo County, head on over to the 101. Taking highway-1 northbound to Monterey is a huge pain (I think), and was I think a 90 minute drive, which took my dad about 2 hours or so especially at night time. It's nothing but this endless mess of repetitive curvy road (almost motion sickness inducing) and hardly a view of the ocean, so if anything save that route for when you're heading back down.

Another cool thing is that when you're in SLO County, particularly in San Simeon on highway 1, you can see Hearst Castle nestled up on top of the hill. Do you plan on visiting that place? I haven't personally gone since my family didn't have enough time.
WHAT????????Hardly any view of the ocean on Hwy 1? I guess that was Disney Land I was seeing over those cliffs?

Old 06-30-2008, 09:15 AM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 787,874 times
If you have time on your way up to SF and you are traveling Hwy 101 and want to do some wine tasting, stop in Paso Robles in San Luis Obispo county. Last I heard there are now over 150 wineries in our area and most of the wines are good. Napa is still the king for Cabernet Sauvignon, but the Zinfandel's and Syrah's in Paso Robles are much better than anywhere else. And, the wine tasting and the wines themselves are less expensive as well.

I would agree with someone else who mentioned traveling up the central valley and then taking the coastal Hwy 1 route back home (if you are going to only do it one way). I think the scenery is more spectacular going south on hwy 1, well same scenery, just a better perspective when traveling down the coast.

Anyway, have a great time!

Old 06-30-2008, 10:13 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,222,571 times
Quote:
And I know New Jersey is a long way away, but "kilometers"? Are we being over run by Metricists from the east?

Just so you know: I have posted along with NorthNJ on guess what...The New Jersey board and I will tell you he just moved here from Sweden, hence the km.

Carry on!

Shanny

Old 07-02-2008, 05:24 PM

215 posts, read 748,281 times
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for coming to my defense. You were right.

It regrets me to tell you that "hardly a view of the ocean" is true only if it is driven at night or if one is so car-sick from the curvy roads that one keeps their eyes fixed downward on the floorboards. Otherwise, in the many miles between Hearst Castle and Bixby Bridge, there is less and than a tenth of a mile where one might be out-of-sight of the Pacific Ocean. You might want to review your recollections of that area. It's only when you reach Big Sur that you leave the coast briefly for a couple of miles, but then you go back to it at the lighthouse and run along the ocean front all the way up to Point Lobos.

For raw beauty, in the daylight and no matter what kind of day it is, this has to be America's most beautiful highway. And I've seen a bunch of beautiful highways.

Anyway, thanks again - and cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
WHAT????????Hardly any view of the ocean on Hwy 1? I guess that was Disney Land I was seeing over those cliffs?
Guys, guys.....I said NORTHBOUND!

Obviously because you're driving on the right side of the road, the actual coastline isn't [as] visible as it would be as if you were driving back down southbound. I was sitting on the front passenger's side and could hardly see much, but I knew that if we were driving the opposite direction on the opposite side of the road nearest to the coast, the view would've been much more elegant than the cliffsides nearest to me. We weren't even driving too late in the afternoon and it took us so long (on our way to Monterey) that the sun had already set.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Guys, guys.....I said NORTHBOUND!
If you were a young child and the car had been a behemoth with high sides your POV could be plausible to me. Granted, southbound is probably a little more scenic than north. But we're speaking of mere degrees here, not magnitudes. However, it is your story and I you "lived" it. So I will not waterboard you further.

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or