U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:52 PM

166 posts, read 632,859 times

Advertisements

You will not want to drive in any of the cities you will be visiting, trust me. Weather will be hot...don't count on anything below 80 unless it's a rainy day. Temps at night are about 5-10 degrees cooler than the daytime temp. You will not need a sweater unless you get cold easliy.

Boston: There are all the historic sites associated with the Revolution. These are all small museums that take about 20-30 minutes to visit. If you want to see all of them, it take at least a full day. When you need a break from the history, visit the Museum of Fine Arts. Do not visit the Aquarium or the Science Museum as you probably have better ones wherever you're from. Keep in mind all museums this time of year get pretty crowded. Great areas to stroll around are Beacon Hill, the Public Garden and the North End. If you want to pretend you're a local, grab a Chilean sandwich at Chacarero, a beer at the Boston Beer Works, a seafood meal at Legal Seafoods or an Italian meal at Vinny T's (both popular local chains). Boston's subway is easy to understand... just remember two words; "outbound" and "inbound". Outbound trains take you away from the downtown area, while inbound trains take you toward the downtown area.

New York City: Do not listen to the earlier poster about not looking up at skyscrapers. Half the people in Manhattan this time of year are tourists. New York had come a long way since the 1980s and is statistically the safest city in the country. Do not take taxis unless you want to waste a lot of money. The subway can be intimidating, read all the signage on a subway train and on the platforms to figure out where the train is going. Learn the difference between express and local trains. You can always take a bus instead for the same price....slower, but less confusing. Plus, you can ask the driver questions, which you can't do on the subway. Download a bus map from the MTA website. Keep in mind that all major attractions get extremely busy this time of year. I'd recommond making reservations for the Statue of Liberty if you plan on going there. Great free attractions are walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, taking the Staten Island ferry, and the American Indian Museum. Great areas for strolling are Greenwich Villiage, Upper West Side, Upper East Side and Times Square at night. If you want to act like a local, have a black&white cookie, an egg cream (not a fav of mine, but you never know), and try some street food like a pretzel or a gyro.

D.C. and Philly I can't help you with since I've never lived there. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 12:58 PM

215 posts, read 748,156 times
Hey everyone!

I came back on Sunday afternoon. AMAZING trip. My mom and I each took over 300 pictures on our cameras and I had about an hour of footage on my video camera. I'm almost done making a sweet movie and I'll post the link in a little bit. All of my outfits were shorts and t-shirts since it was so hot.

- Nothing in D.C. was really new to me and we saw the obvious attractions....took the free tour of the inside of the Capitol building, saw the memorials, etc.
- Drove to Philly the next day and spent a little over an hour there to see the Liberty Bell and eat a genuine cheesesteak sandwich, stopped at our hotel in northern New Jersey, and then took the NJ Transit bus to New York City the following day.
- We went on one of those double-decker bus guided city tours which was extremely convenient. I ate 3 slices of pizza in the 2 days we were there.
- Spent the morning to explore NYC again on the bus, then went back to our hotel in NJ to check out and drive to Boston.
- Arrived in the late afternoon, and did the Freedom Trail the next day. Saw all the things we wanted to see....except the Boston Tea Party area was under construction.

Great trip. 2 years ago when I visited my aunt in Virginia and did sight-seeing in D.C. for a week, I fell in love with the place; particularly Georgetown. For some reason I didn't feel the same way this time around but instead felt like wanting NYC more.

THANK YOU so much for your help everyone. I deeply appreciate it.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:40 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,221,725 times
Glad you had a great trip

Shanny (Who will still not look up at skyscrapers)

Old 07-15-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Glad you had a great trip

Shanny (Who will still not look up at skyscrapers)
Hey! We drove right through your town via the turnpike. And I always kept my totebag clutched firmly by my side at all times.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:05 AM

Alright guys....here it is. My east coast trip!

YouTube - Summer 2008 - East Coast Trip

Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,968,192 times
That was a great video, Sambazon. Nice editing skills! Looks like you guys had fun on your trip. I hope you enjoyed Boston!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel