Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 03:44 PM

213 posts, read 821,446 times

Advertisements

On July 7th, my mom and I are leaving to visit D.C., drive to Philadelphia, drive to NYC, and then drive to Boston. So aside from the obvious tourist attractions and whatnot, any cool places (even restaurants) you'd suggest? I'm willing to try anything and I'm not at all a picky eater.

This is going to be a silly question, but exactly how's July weather going to be over there up in the northeast the week after next? I've had friends tell me that it's been as cool as mid 70's in the middle of the month, but from my own experience (visiting Virginia and Washington D.C. in middle of June of '06), I was dying in the insane humidity. I just wanna have an idea of what kind of clothes I should be bringing.

I was also recommended by a friend to take a train from Philly to NYC instead because of how terrible it is to drive in the city. However, hotel reservations in the city as well as the rent-a-car have already been made....so I'm guessing my mom and I will just leave the car there and take the metro around the city since taxi cabs can get expensive? If that's the case, I'm still worried. I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a very smart girl and I'm slow-witted.....when my older sister and I went to D.C. two years ago I had a hard time figuring out how the metro system worked. She was able to think quickly on her feet and figure out where we needed to go that the second we stepped off a train, we'd be speedwalking/jogging to make the next one (I'd be following her lead), while I had little to no idea what line we were taking or which one we were supposed to.

That's all for now. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 04:15 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,220,450 times
Pretty last minute. Here is my thread about travel in July to the same places. I leave tomorrow morning.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...dc-philly.html

Old 06-28-2008, 04:22 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,629,233 times
The humidity is a killer. I just moved back to NJ after a 12 year stint in California (San Francisco and San Jose). The humidity is taking its toll on me. Hubby is from Los Angeles and he is having a hard time too.

I lived and worked in NYC for many, many years. I still have many friends there and visit quite often.

For NYC: Dressing light is obvious but there is one thing to remember. NYC is uber-conservative to San Diego. Walking around the city in flip-flops and shorts well...that is for the Jersey Shore and Long Island not for Manhattan proper.

I would suggest sleeveless polo shirts, capris and a good sandal for day. Sundresses, well....no not in Manhattan. Again, sleeveless little black dress and ballerina flats will serve you in the evening. Do bring a wrap because the A/C will freeze you.

Google a NYC subway map and study it. Print it out before you get to New York. Thieves love tourists....especially if they don't know where they are going and for crying out loud....DON'T STARE UP TO THE SKYSCRAPERS.
Doing so is just screaming, "Please Rob Me!"
Subways are fine in the daytime but I really wouldn't go on a subway after 9pm or so. In comparason, I found NYC taxis cheaper than any other US city. Seriously!

Although I live just 6 miles from Philly, I just moved here so I can't help you there. I did live in Massachusetts for a time but not near Boston. I was on Martha's Vineyard and Western Massachusetts so again, can't help you there.

Anyhoo, have a great trip!

Cheers,
Shanny

Old 06-28-2008, 11:38 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,448,954 times
Philly weather is always awful in the summer! Right now (according to my mom) it is in the mid 90s and VERY humid. Pack tank tops!

Just a heads up, hotel parking fees can be very expensive in cities. Expect to pay anywhere between $25-$50 per night to park your car.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:31 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,141,865 times
Where exactly will you be staying in Boston? Driving in the city can be very confusing and stressful for tourists, since the streets were laid out on top of 17th century cow paths and don't make a whole lot of sense sometimes. Not to mention that Boston drivers aren't exactly the most sane. Besides, finding parking and paying for it is a nightmare.

Fortunately, the city is relatively small and *very* walkable. It is "America's Walking City," so I suggest you ditch the car and just walk around and use the T (Boston's subway / commuter rail system). If you're worried about getting confused by it, you can study these links: Map of T lines, buying and using tickets, more info (http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/getting_around/ - broken link). If you get lost, don't hesitate to ask someone. New Englanders may have a reputation for being reserved but most Bostonians are glad to help out tourists.

If you're staying somewhere outside of the city proper or you just want to avoid driving in downtown Boston altogether, then you can also take the commuter rail from farther away. Here's a map.

The average high in Boston in July is around 80 degrees, with nighttime lows in the 60s. The weather is unpredictable so it's hard to say whether you'll have uncomfortable humidity, but I'd say there's about a 50/50 chance. If you're lucky, you'll have a very comfortable sea breeze! Your chances are certainly better than in DC.

There's a lot to do in Boston in such a small area. The obvious tourist thing is the Freedom Trail (the red line on the sidewalk that guides you through the city), which is really a great way to experience the history of Boston. Some places that aren't covered by the trail but are definitely worthy of visiting are Beacon Hill (north of the Common) and the Back Bay (west of the Public Garden), two very high-class, beautiful neighbourhoods that are definitely worth a stroll.

This blog is a great photographic guide to the different neighbourhoods of the city, and also includes some restaurant tips. If you have time and you want to explore outside of Boston proper, however, some great places include George's Island (in Boston Harbor, home to an old Civil War fort), which you can get to by a quick hop on the ferry. If you're interested in history, the drive out to Lexington and Concord is also definitely worth it.

Another great drive would be up to the North Shore (especially Salem, Gloucester, Rockport, Ipswich, Newburyport and the scenic Route 1A). Tons of history up there.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:15 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,672,607 times
Don't know how long you'll be in Philly for, but some recommendations for Center City would be: lunch at Reading Terminal market, start behind the art museum and rent a bike or walk along the river past boathouse row, independence seaport museum then the ferry across the river to the Camden aquarium or battleship museum, the Liberty museum, and the PA Academy of Fine Arts. The Phila Art Museum is nice too but it's very big and could take up a whole day.

If you have more time and want to venture out of the city, you could try Longwood Gardens or Valley Forge.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Don't know how long you'll be in Philly for, but some recommendations for Center City would be: lunch at Reading Terminal market, start behind the art museum and rent a bike or walk along the river past boathouse row, independence seaport museum then the ferry across the river to the Camden aquarium or battleship museum, the Liberty museum, and the PA Academy of Fine Arts. The Phila Art Museum is nice too but it's very big and could take up a whole day.

If you have more time and want to venture out of the city, you could try Longwood Gardens or Valley Forge.
I just realized that we'll only be in Philly for several hours, since we'll have to drive to Seacacus, NJ to our hotel for the night. Does anyone know if we can simply drive to like a subway station and just take that to NYC?

This forum never fails to amaze me with the wealth of knowledge and help you guys so kindly provide. Thank you very much.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:11 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,448,634 times
i would bring a couple of long sleeve light weight shirts and a light weight jacket and well as a pair of jeans.
otherwise, shorts and tees would be fine.

in philadelphia i recommend the obvious attractions and also taking the trolly tour. you buy a ticket for the day and get on and off the trolly at any point as many times as you want all day long.
also you will want to have an authentic phili cheese steak and i recommend JIM steak on the corner of 4th st and south st.

in NYC--you will not want to drive.
get a metro card.
if you like rice pudding--you have to try this new place called Rice to Riches
rice pudding in every flavor you can think of!

Old 06-30-2008, 10:59 AM

286 posts, read 1,318,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambazon View Post
I just realized that we'll only be in Philly for several hours, since we'll have to drive to Seacacus, NJ to our hotel for the night. Does anyone know if we can simply drive to like a subway station and just take that to NYC?

This forum never fails to amaze me with the wealth of knowledge and help you guys so kindly provide. Thank you very much.
If you're staying in Secaucus, I'd google for the PATH website, which are trains that take you from North Jersey into Manhattan. It's been too many years for me to remember where the stations are, but my recall is there's one in Hoboken and another in Jersey City. There are also buses that go into Port Authority - not the GREATEST area, but very convenient.

By the way, you can't leave Philly without eating a cheesesteak and buy some soft pretzels for the road. The ride from Philly to Secaucus is a straight shot up the Jersey Turnpike.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:28 PM

Yeah I'm going to try studying all of the metro/subway routes of the cities we're visiting. One last question (for now): How's the weather at night time? Still hot/mucky?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel