U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:22 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,510,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
9 HOURS on the tarmac! WITH NO WATER OR FOOD! The flight attendants weren't allowed to give us ANYTHING!
FAA regulations.... not AA policy.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:50 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,253,110 times
1. When you book your flight it will say if a meal or snack is provided/served or available for purchase. Make note of this BEFORE booking your flight if eating on the plane is of importance to you. Just about EVERY flight and airline gives out a free drink but is only limited to soft drinks, juice, coffee and water.

2. If the flight is during a NORMAL meal time then a meal will or most times will be served/provided or for purchase. Most meals now are only sandwiches and a bag of chips and cookies. Not much but it will do if your hungry.

3. If you would rather have a better selection for a meal BEFORE your flight you can time it so that you can book a flight at that time and eat at the airport. Arrive in plenty of time to be able to afford this luxury though as checking in, getting thru security, finding your gate, finding a place to eat (most of the time many options), sometimes waiting for a table just like a normal restuarant, getting served & eating, paying, stopping at the bathroom and then getting back to your gate before boarding call does take time. We prefer in most cases to get something BEFORE we arrive at the airport.

4. If your going to be connecting you can time your flights so that you have ample time between them to grab a bite to eat.

5. You can purchase anything INSIDE of the secured area of the airport and take it onto a plane to drink/eat EXCEPT FOR ALCOHOL!

6. Fly first class as they get served a full meal ONLY IF the flight is during a "NORMAL" meal time. They also get free alcoholic beverages and served drinks as soon as they board the plane.

As someone else mentioned, the food on the planes is not like it used to be. We used to have Legend Air out of one of our local airports. They had WONDERFUL planes (two large leather reclining seats abreast on each side of the plane) and the food was SUPERB!!!! Nowadays the "box lunch" is the norm.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:32 PM

812 posts, read 3,583,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
We used to have Legend Air out of one of our local airports. They had WONDERFUL planes (two large leather reclining seats abreast on each side of the plane) and the food was SUPERB!!!! Nowadays the "box lunch" is the norm.
You can (partly) thAAnk your hometown carrier American for that demise.

------
It strikes me as funny that for, I don't know, perhaps the past 40 years, the standard joke of all hack comics was airline food, how cold, old, mystery meat, et cetera. Now, you have the freedom of 1)not paying for bad food and 2)bringing better food onboard about 99 percent of carriers (skybus is the only one that comes to mind that had a prohibition, and they're gone), yet, still complaining. The common denominator? People love to complain.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:08 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,253,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
You can (partly) thAAnk your hometown carrier American for that demise.

------
It strikes me as funny that for, I don't know, perhaps the past 40 years, the standard joke of all hack comics was airline food, how cold, old, mystery meat, et cetera. Now, you have the freedom of 1)not paying for bad food and 2)bringing better food onboard about 99 percent of carriers (skybus is the only one that comes to mind that had a prohibition, and they're gone), yet, still complaining. The common denominator? People love to complain.
Oh I know full well it was AA that got them to go under . They spent how many millions fighting a lawsuit to get Legend to go away. URGH!!!! We LOVED flying them. Between AA's bully tactics and wasting millions there and their head officers raking in the dough they could have a lot more money in the bank now.

NO KIDDING!!! I remember when business travelers that I dealt w/ ASKED to be on flights that did not serve when the food got really bad. When it was actually pretty decent fair they WANTED the flights w/ inflight food service. I'd MUCH rather buy something in the airport and take it onto the plane. I'd also much rather eat BEFORE I get to the airport. Depending on where we are we time it so that we can hit one of our fave's on the way to the airport before departing. Then pick up some snacks at the airport to take onto the plane along w/ a bottle of water or two. Just in case and you can always use it later as it is not like it is going to go bad the minute you step off the plane when you land. Many times that snack or bottle of water has come in handy to have a bit later.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:47 PM

49 posts, read 190,926 times
i just got back from my vacation last week...i had to fly american airline and american eagle...

the first flight of AA going to my destination was a pain...i remember i have to pay for the snacks if i wanted anything on my second flight....i just remember thinking that i won't fly AA again, but then when i'm heading back home...same thing..i have to pay...but the people are much nicer and very attentive...then i realized....it's not bad...i don't mind flying AA again...though i just need to make sure if i do fly again i have to double check my itinerary and be ready...hehehe

Old 07-03-2008, 01:57 PM

687 posts, read 1,858,024 times
I flew American in February from DTW to TUS and was aware they weren't serving meals on the planes anymore. That was fine. They still serve 'complimentary' drinks on the plane. Though with ticket prices as they are I wonder if we're being charged $10 for a can of Coke.

I just flew on the 14th from Phoenix back to Detroit with 3 kids. Now THAT was an adventure. We also sat in the emergency exit row (7) just behind first class. It was fun explaining why the people up front were getting freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, hot towels, meals that smelled the whole plane up and lovely little mints. Hahahaha. I planned longer layovers on the way there and back (Dallas and O'Hare respectively) so that we had time to get a good lunch in. And we brought a few snacks and water bottles on the plane with us as well. With their full bellies 2 of my 3 kids slept most of the flight after that.

The thing that drives me batty is the baggage pricing. $15 for your first bag and I can't remember what it is for 2nd. $25? And you will be charged $50 if it is overweight (I think the limit is 50 lbs but I'm not positive). So even if you try and fit all your stuff in one bag, you might get charged with a heavy bag. Or you can pack 2-3 smaller cases and be charged fees as well.

I know these airlines are running in the red and are trying to make up pricing somewhere. It just sucks. We moved from MI to AZ and will not fly as often as we thought we might due to the increase of prices to fly. Oh well.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:09 PM

13,106 posts, read 24,883,519 times
Who in their right mind eats airline food ??

Old 07-03-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Who in their right mind eats airline food ??
Not something I crave that's for sure. The woman next to me was given options to buy as it was lunch time. They showed her a turkey wrap that...was a little scary. She politely declined. I don't necessarily want a meal, though I will admit a little package of pretzels would kinda be nice.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:35 PM

812 posts, read 3,583,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
It was fun explaining why the people up front were getting freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, hot towels, meals that smelled the whole plane up and lovely little mints.
"Because they paid a lot more for that stuff" about sums it up.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
"Because they paid a lot more for that stuff" about sums it up.
That's exactly what I told her. She wanted to know what "First Class" meant. She said someday she wants to fly first class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or