U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:09 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,574,364 times

Advertisements

A few months ago, my husband and I had a flight to Albuquerque, NM from Newark, NJ with a connection in Ohio. Our nightmare started at 5:00 am,(we woke up at 1:30 am to get to the airport) when we overheard a flight attendant tell the desk person to "tell us what was going on". Well, what happened was, the pilots that we're flying our plane didn't get enough sleep, so our flight was delayed. They didnt officially inform us til 20 minutes before departure. So most people needed to be rerouted since they would miss the connecting flight. We were told they would take care of us in Ohio. Once we got there, and missed our flight, we were told they couldnt fly us out til the next day at 11 am (it was only like 8:30 am at this point.) Oh and we couldnt get a hotel voucher til 3pm. Now since this was our honeymoon and we only had a 5 day trip, we were going to miss out on 2 days! After an hour of complaining, we finally got a new itinerary-through 3 more airports. Coincidentally, our next flight was delayed, no joke. We flew next to Chicago, ran to the next flight, and was told we werent on their list!! The Ohio delta people never confirmed it. Once again, we were screwed. They put us on a flight later in the day, to
Minnesota. We got there at 9pm, 11 pm our time. Finally got into Albuquerque near midnight. When we asked about our luggage (we asked at other airports, no one could help us) they said if it didnt show up soon, we'd have to call in the morning (because they were closing). Luckily, our luggage did show up and we got to our resort at 2am, 4 am our time. We had been awake for 27 hours. and yes, this was our honeymoon! Although I have 2 $100 vouchers for delta I will not use them. They were horrible and unhelpful at all the airports (5 in total) we were at.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:15 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,353,076 times
The only reason any of the deplorable US airlines are still in business is because the govenment protects their monopoly on domestic routes. If international carriers were allowed to serve internal US routes--well, that would be a quick end to UA, AA, and Delta. And it would be a good riddance.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:39 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,741,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
The only reason any of the deplorable US airlines are still in business is because the govenment protects their monopoly on domestic routes. If international carriers were allowed to serve internal US routes--well, that would be a quick end to UA, AA, and Delta. And it would be a good riddance.

What would be so different about foreign carriers than what we already have?

The routes would be the same.
The weather would be the same.
The airport security would be the same.
The air traffic controllers would be the same.
The employees would be the same. (They would hire locals. Just like we hire Europeans over there.)
The delays would be the same.

And finally, it would be the same nasty passengers that don't want to pay what a ticket is really worth, because they think that airlines are a Government subsidized agency that only exist to haul your cheap butts around.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:31 PM

681 posts, read 2,597,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
You are not taking into account the darling "international" carriers of which you seem to be enamored are mostly monopolies of their own governments. Or the self-protection built into virtually all foreign air transit operations. Even worse than ours. So you think we should allow them to operate at under actual costs here and let US carriers die off the vine? Is that fair or equitable?

If there were some way to truly compare apples to apples on this issue I might agree with you. But today that possibility does not exist. Oh, that it would eventually come to pass. A few US carriers might even surprise us.

And South Range Family makes some good points, too.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:18 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,071 posts, read 1,832,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
A few months ago, my husband and I had a flight to Albuquerque, NM from Newark, NJ with a connection in Ohio. Our nightmare started at 5:00 am,(we woke up at 1:30 am to get to the airport) when we overheard a flight attendant tell the desk person to "tell us what was going on". Well, what happened was, the pilots that we're flying our plane didn't get enough sleep, so our flight was delayed. They didnt officially inform us til 20 minutes before departure. So most people needed to be rerouted since they would miss the connecting flight. We were told they would take care of us in Ohio. Once we got there, and missed our flight, we were told they couldnt fly us out til the next day at 11 am (it was only like 8:30 am at this point.) Oh and we couldnt get a hotel voucher til 3pm. Now since this was our honeymoon and we only had a 5 day trip, we were going to miss out on 2 days! After an hour of complaining, we finally got a new itinerary-through 3 more airports. Coincidentally, our next flight was delayed, no joke. We flew next to Chicago, ran to the next flight, and was told we werent on their list!! The Ohio delta people never confirmed it. Once again, we were screwed. They put us on a flight later in the day, to
Minnesota. We got there at 9pm, 11 pm our time. Finally got into Albuquerque near midnight. When we asked about our luggage (we asked at other airports, no one could help us) they said if it didnt show up soon, we'd have to call in the morning (because they were closing). Luckily, our luggage did show up and we got to our resort at 2am, 4 am our time. We had been awake for 27 hours. and yes, this was our honeymoon! Although I have 2 $100 vouchers for delta I will not use them. They were horrible and unhelpful at all the airports (5 in total) we were at.
Always try to fly on direct non-stop flight. As far as I know Continental flies non-stop to ABQ, I was flying both ways a few years ago. But also I heard this route will be cut with a few others by Continental in Septembet of 2008.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:14 PM

362 posts, read 1,562,861 times
I've flown with AA for years (and sometimes Southwest) as they are the main carriers in the Dallas area. I found AA clearly announced their policy regarding food when it changed and is also described on their website. I always travel with granola bar or two tucked in my carry on and usually buy water/juice once in the airport just in case of delays on the tarmac, bumpy weather that prohibits attendants from serving beverages, etc. For very long flights I will use my AA miles to upgrade to first class and I've found the food to be good considering it is pre-packaged and heated on an airplane. Sorry you were shocked by the the service. Has it been a while since you've flown?

Old 07-16-2008, 09:02 PM

12,617 posts, read 28,098,945 times
We flew three flights IN China this past April and on every flight, whether it was one hour or three hours we were served at least one meal. On our three hour flight we had a meal and a snack. The best part was on the long flight when the flight attendants led the passengers in some in-the-seat excercises. Not kidding!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:29 PM

402 posts, read 760,243 times
Default not so bad

here are your options. aa can add an extra 20 dollars to your flight and serve you a crummy meal, or you can buy good, reasonably priced food in the airport and carry it on. airlines had good service before deregulation, but that was because of no price competition. so you would be paying twice as much, and in return you got a crummy meal, free soda (which you still get), and a few extra ammenities. definately not worth it.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:50 PM

983 posts, read 4,095,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
here are your options. aa can add an extra 20 dollars to your flight and serve you a crummy meal, or you can buy good, reasonably priced food in the airport and carry it on. airlines had good service before deregulation, but that was because of no price competition. so you would be paying twice as much, and in return you got a crummy meal, free soda (which you still get), and a few extra ammenities. definately not worth it.
Can you tell me which airport that would be? I think the mark up at airports is INSANE and they know they got us by the u know what! That goes for Mcdonalds, Starbucks, Chilis, etc. I don't know how much rent these people are paying but when you are waiting for a flight and go to get food at one of these joints, it seems like you will be out $15 minimum for a sandwich, fries and a drink. Then stupid TSA people will take things like an apple or orange from you! I know it's part of security .

Old 08-17-2008, 07:44 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,741,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
Can you tell me which airport that would be? I think the mark up at airports is INSANE and they know they got us by the u know what! That goes for Mcdonalds, Starbucks, Chilis, etc. I don't know how much rent these people are paying but when you are waiting for a flight and go to get food at one of these joints, it seems like you will be out $15 minimum for a sandwich, fries and a drink. Then stupid TSA people will take things like an apple or orange from you! I know it's part of security .

Pittsburgh Airport requires street prices from all vendors. You won't find any gouging there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or