Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 03:43 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times

Advertisements

It isn't American's fault that you didn't read the itinerary or look up what 'food for purchase meant'. They gave you plenty of fair warning.

You should also note--airlines take into account not only the flight time but the time zone differences. Most travelers need to adjust their 'internal clock' according to their destination times and mealtimes. If you are flying from Newark to LA, you are flying backwards in time, so while the flight time is 6 hours, you are actually arriving only three hours after your departure. If you ate in-flight, you wouldn't be hungry at the appropriate meal time.

Whereas the reverse trip would be six hours in-flight but nine hours difference upon arrival. And they serve a meal on the reverse flight.

Last edited by kodaka; 03-31-2010 at 04:16 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 08:42 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelofsol View Post
My father worked for TWA before it was bought out by AA. I remeber the high level of service and quality they held themselves to even after the strike. So when we were first flying AA I was excited. Unfotunately AA has grossly failed to meet my hopes and expectations.
I reached the top level of the TWA frequent flyer status as I was working for a St. Louis based corporation.

TWA service was ABSOLUTELY miserable from 1988-95 for the most part. Maybe if you had some connections you received good service BUT if you were just the average joe, you received lousy service.

We all know that TWA had labor problems. We just did not appreciate having all of their problems taken out on us. When the station manager at SNA went off on me one day, I switched all my business to America West who was more than willing to help someone who commuted between SNA and STL.

Personally, I now give all my business to Southwest where I always receive good service ... with a smile.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,971,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
I will NEVER ever travel with American Airlines again.
In may, I traveled from Newark to Los Angeles (6 hr flight) and we never got any free food during the whole flight, except 1 drink. This sucks!
Yeah, the only airline that i know of that still gives free food is Continental for some of their "dinner" time flights. You get a little sandwich and snack box. But i havent flown them in a year so i wouldnt be suprised if thats gone. Usually for a 6 hour flight you get 2 beverage services but other than that it sounds like your flight was run of the mill.

G Man

Old 04-02-2010, 10:03 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
On domestic flights, American airline companies do not serve meals to economy class passengers any more. They only give drinks & snacks to economy class passengers within the USA. (Business class passengers get meals if they are flying during a meal time.)
On the other hand, on international flights on American airline companies meals are served in economy class as well business class (& of course first class). This is the same policy as foreign airline companies that fly to the USA.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
On domestic flights, American airline companies do not serve meals to economy class passengers any more. They only give drinks & snacks to economy class passengers within the USA.
Amen. It is one of the BEST things that happened over the years.

I was tired of the 3-oz hockey-puck chicken breast with the dried rice, hard roll and the tiny salad ... and having to wait 45-90 minutes until the FAs could take away the dirty dishes.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:20 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Yeah, the only airline that i know of that still gives free food is Continental for some of their "dinner" time flights. You get a little sandwich and snack box. But i havent flown them in a year so i wouldnt be suprised if thats gone. Usually for a 6 hour flight you get 2 beverage services but other than that it sounds like your flight was run of the mill.

G Man
Hawaiian Air still serves food on all flights over 4 hours.
But I always stop at Paradise Bakery in the airport and pick up a yummy chicken walnut sandwich. It lasts me all the way to Hawaii.

The thing to remember is that the airlines are really hurting bad. We've been flying cheap while the fuel rates have gone up and down and up and down. They're freaking out. That's why all the mergers. Southwest has a great business model, and so does Hawaiian. But a lot of them are just squeaking by. In 1971 When I first flew from California to Hawaii, my ticket was $199 Round Trip. That's back when long distance calls were a dollar a minute. NOW I fly to Hawaii for about $400 out of Phoenix. I make that trip 6 times a year, so I see the far go up and down. But if you factor in the value of a dollar today to 1971, $400 is really cheap. Plus, because of the economy, cities and states are charging airlines higher landing fees, higher maintenance for hubs, all that. It's just a crazy industry to be in. I want the airlines to stay in business so I can stay in business. So I buy my sandwiches to bring on board, and I gladly pay extra fees for luggage. It beats paying thousands of dollars for a flight.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:13 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
I will NEVER ever travel with American Airlines again.
In may, I traveled from Newark to Los Angeles (6 hr flight) and we never got any free food during the whole flight, except 1 drink. This sucks!
Well guess there are not many airlines you will be traveling because almost all airlines do not give food on domestic flights. People want super cheap ticket well then bad service and less service is what you get. Next time just bring some food with you. Or if you are really that hungry buy the food they have on the plane.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:01 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Want delicious food onboard? Bring on the smelliest, most pungent, foreign meal you can get through security (anything except liquids, pretty much). Kim Chi, Italian Subs, anything with onions or garlic. Have a feast on board. Foot longs from Subway for $5 is a deal plus it is durable to fit in your bag. The jerk sitting next to you who always hogs the armrest will love you for the next six hours.

Food fight: Meals are tricky in the sky - CNN.com

Want to avoid the $7 fee for a cocktail? Those little $1 shooter bottles of vodka for example are technically legal to bring through security. Airlines will serve orange juice for free. 2 + 2 =

Want to check a bag for free? Just make sure it will fit through the security screen machine and then gate check it for free.

Want extra legroom? Get to the airport early and try to get exit row.

Want free onboard internet? (I've never tried this) If you are in a group of travelers and you all have laptops, maybe it is possible one person pays for internet then does internet connection sharing using the laptops' wireless cards? Ad hoc network?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:41 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Want delicious food onboard? Bring on the smelliest, most pungent, foreign meal you can get through security

Want to avoid the $7 fee for a cocktail? Those little $1 shooter bottles of vodka for example are technically legal to bring through security. Airlines will serve orange juice for free. 2 + 2 =

Want to check a bag for free? Just make sure it will fit through the security screen machine and then gate check it for free.

Want extra legroom? Get to the airport early and try to get exit row.

Want free onboard internet? (I've never tried this) If you are in a group of travelers and you all have laptops, maybe it is possible one person pays for internet then does internet connection sharing using the laptops' wireless cards? Ad hoc network?
Hmmm, most of this I have to declare as bad internet advice:

Food - you technically can bring wrapped food (stress the word "wrapped" and the vague interpretations you may undergo) through security, but you might be in for some hassles. You can buy smelly (and expensive) food in the airport gate area of course, but that defeats the purpose of saving money.

Alcohol - I believe every airline has a rule against consuming your own alcohol on board, for obvious reasons.

Baggage - Agreed, but see some of the recent posts about a.) some airlines starting to now charge for carry on's, and, b.) proposed legislation over size and amounts of carry ons.

Legroom in exit rows - HAHA, those seats are reserved for me, your friendly premium flyer, when I don't make my upgrades. Airlines are also charging for these premium seats. Getting there early will not get you an exit row I assure you.

Internet - possible I guess. One or the other will still have to pay crazy internet fees. Better bet is to look for discounts and specials (available via codes you enter when using), which happen from time to time.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Hmmm, most of this I have to declare as bad internet advice:

Food - you technically can bring wrapped food (stress the word "wrapped" and the vague interpretations you may undergo) through security, but you might be in for some hassles. You can buy smelly (and expensive) food in the airport gate area of course, but that defeats the purpose of saving money.

Alcohol - I believe every airline has a rule against consuming your own alcohol on board, for obvious reasons.

Baggage - Agreed, but see some of the recent posts about a.) some airlines starting to now charge for carry on's, and, b.) proposed legislation over size and amounts of carry ons.

Legroom in exit rows - HAHA, those seats are reserved for me, your friendly premium flyer, when I don't make my upgrades. Airlines are also charging for these premium seats. Getting there early will not get you an exit row I assure you.

Internet - possible I guess. One or the other will still have to pay crazy internet fees. Better bet is to look for discounts and specials (available via codes you enter when using), which happen from time to time.
I've brought all sorts of food on board, never a hassle.
I once sat next to an AA or UA flight attendant (not on duty, but in uniform) on a SWA flight who brought her own mini-bottle of wine on board. Just because it is a rule...
I actually wouldn't gate check it if I could squeeze it over head as I hate waiting for bags in baggage claim. But free checking bags would work if you wanted to carry on two or three bags and the airlines insisted on only one bag plus one personal item. They'll force those bags to be checked but it will be free. I've done that.
I often, maybe 5/6 of the time, get exit row when I ask.
How can couponed internet connections be cheaper if everyone has to pay, than one paid connection that everyone shares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel