U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:05 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,104,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
I will NEVER ever travel with American Airlines again.
In may, I traveled from Newark to Los Angeles (6 hr flight) and we never got any free food during the whole flight, except 1 drink. This sucks!
Oh well-it can only get better when they merge with BA

Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I guess you will be walking on your next trip. All of the airlines are adopting that policy.

In case you haven't guessed, the food was never free. It was included in the price of a ticket. You now have a choice to not pay that portion of the fare.

I'm willing to bet that you are very young.
So if they have taken off the charges for checked luggage and food we should have seen a considerable drop in ticket prices.Doesn't seem to be the case.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:21 AM

11,933 posts, read 21,518,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
So if they have taken off the charges for checked luggage and food we should have seen a considerable drop in ticket prices.Doesn't seem to be the case.
Maybe you haven't looked around you and seen prices increasing everywhere. In fact the cost for a ticket is less than a ticket 30 years ago not even accounting for inflation. In other words ticket prices have gone down something like 50% of the course of the 30 years.

Yet other prices go up - the cost to buy airplanes, landing fees, TSA fees, mx, fuel, etc. Consumers are getting a smoking deal when it comes to ticket prices.

When you can buy a one way ticket across the country for less than it costs just in gas for your car to drive it, you're getting a good deal. Let alone getting you there 4 days earlier.

American posted a HALF BILLION dollar loss this past quarter, they are hardly "ripping people off" when it comes to tickets. Rather, it's the opposite.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Maybe you haven't looked around you and seen prices increasing everywhere. In fact the cost for a ticket is less than a ticket 30 years ago not even accounting for inflation. In other words ticket prices have gone down something like 50% of the course of the 30 years.

Yet other prices go up - the cost to buy airplanes, landing fees, TSA fees, mx, fuel, etc. Consumers are getting a smoking deal when it comes to ticket prices.

When you can buy a one way ticket across the country for less than it costs just in gas for your car to drive it, you're getting a good deal. Let alone getting you there 4 days earlier.

American posted a HALF BILLION dollar loss this past quarter, they are hardly "ripping people off" when it comes to tickets. Rather, it's the opposite.
Comparing costs of flights 30 yrs ago is plain silly.
When things are "new" or thought of as a luxury they're expensive.
It's also known as competition.

And by the way-I look around and see the price of a lot of things coming down.

Just because they posted a loss doesn't mean they're not ripping us off! It's far more complex than that.

Charging $20 for a checked in bag each way or asking you to pay for an aisle seat is a rip off.

Problem is all the airlines are code sharing so there's a lack of competition.

Thinking of international flights I don't see $1400 for CLT to BOS to LHR to NCL as a bargain.

Many of the airlines are the same and a lot depends on the crew you get

Often cabin crew see passengers as an inconvenience and forget that's what they're being paid for.
Don't know what the salaries/allowances are for long haul USA airline cabin crew, but BA lot shouldn't be complaining.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:22 PM

5,678 posts, read 8,594,408 times
I don't expect much from domestic carriers, they are more like traveling in a bus. I had to pay $50 roundtrip for my bags to Hawaii recently on American. Some saying that the ticket price has come down by the price of the food and luggage is baloney, the prices of tickets are same or more, this is just additional fees on top of that.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:26 PM

5,678 posts, read 8,594,408 times
Quote:

Efficiency and technology have also gone up drastically, it is now possible to put a lot more people on the same plane and reduce fuel costs due to new models being much more efficient. The number of passengers has also increased and volume transactions reduce costs, traveling by air is not some elite activity now whereas 30 yrs ago it was.

It's similar to computers, a simple laptop at one point was thousands, now it is in the hundreds.

American airlines is running a loss because they have labor issues and can't run an airline efficiently. Take Easyjet for example in Europe.. not only is it profitable, it is a better experience than AA as well!

EasyJet upbeat after record result - MarketWatch

I've traveled by EasyJet many times and like them. If they can succeed why can't American? American carriers just give a list of lame excuses for their problems, it's a similar situation to GM... they blame everything else except themselves.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:01 PM

11,933 posts, read 21,518,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Comparing costs of flights 30 yrs ago is plain silly.
When things are "new" or thought of as a luxury they're expensive.
It's also known as competition.

And by the way-I look around and see the price of a lot of things coming down.

Just because they posted a loss doesn't mean they're not ripping us off! It's far more complex than that.

Charging $20 for a checked in bag each way or asking you to pay for an aisle seat is a rip off.

Problem is all the airlines are code sharing so there's a lack of competition.

Thinking of international flights I don't see $1400 for CLT to BOS to LHR to NCL as a bargain.

Many of the airlines are the same and a lot depends on the crew you get

Often cabin crew see passengers as an inconvenience and forget that's what they're being paid for.
Don't know what the salaries/allowances are for long haul USA airline cabin crew, but BA lot shouldn't be complaining.
Fortunately for people like you there is always Greyhound.

"Lack of competition". You misunderstand codesharing. There is actually too much competition, and codesharing increases competition.

BTW American has been around since something like the 1920's I would hardly say flying was new 30 years ago.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Fortunately for people like you there is always Greyhound.

"Lack of competition". You misunderstand codesharing. There is actually too much competition, and codesharing increases competition.

BTW American has been around since something like the 1920's I would hardly say flying was new 30 years ago.
How does code sharing increase competition?

I remember Greyhound from when I travelled in the US in 1974. Flying was a luxury for most in those days.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 28,541,408 times
Default I don't think Airtran does either.

But everytime I see the AA logo i get reminded of the flight 191 and 587 disasters and I'm not sure i could live with flying with that logo on the side.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:05 PM

6,239 posts, read 15,443,702 times
Domestic AA flights aren't the best. I was on a cramped flight from L.A. to Chicago on my way to Manchester, England back in May, and I felt very sorry for the poor guy next to me whose knees were touching the seat in front of him. It made me glad I'm so short at only 5'0"! I dropped something between the window and my seat, and I couldn't get it until we landed, and even then I had to become a contortionist. The airplane? It was a 767 with the most tight, claustrophobic seating I've ever experienced.

However, the international flights were great! We actually got free food, and free blankets and pillows. Getting home was a harrowing experience (read about it here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/14119210-post44.html), but none of the delays were the airline's fault! They were very good to us; they kept giving us food and water, and tried to make us as comfortable as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or