Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 06:52 AM

10 posts, read 33,704 times

Advertisements

We're visiting family in Trieste, Italy in June 09 and are considering adding week in either Croatia or Montenegro. It would be 2 families with 3 small kids (6mo, 1.5 yr, 5 yo). Does anyone have an opinion on either of these locations? We'd be looking to rent a private home on or very near the beach. Can anyone suggest a good location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 11:02 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,945,618 times
We had a wonderful time in Croatia. We spent two days in Dubrovnik and 3 days on Hvar (island). We also took a day trip to drive around the Bay of Kotor in Montenegro. What a beautiful place.
We liked Hvar so much we stayed an extra day.
Look online for rentals. In my experience, the best places are booked far in advance. We had to make a deposit, but everything turned out fine.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:46 PM

351 posts, read 1,870,972 times
Hi Cinci-bound,

I lived in Croatia for a year and had a great time. Hvar, as recommended, is wonderful. If you want to spend some time, look around (not in) Split, Rijeka and Dubrovnik. I rented a house near the coast and spent weekends near Rijeka, enjoying a house right on the water with the comforts of restaurants nearby. Croatia has more coastline, so there's more to choose from.

My parents, who visited for two weeks and toured the coast, live in Cincinnati. If you're interested in personal experiences and recommendations about Cincinnati, DM me and I'll hook you up. They visited Croatia in the immediate post-conflict period and have enjoyed watching the tourism articles arise, now that the region has stabilized.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:43 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,745,792 times
I've always wanted to go to Croatia.. In Montenegro Is Podgorica worth visiting? I've been to Bratislava and I'm guessing it is something like that? Bratislava was pretty depressing, sorry to say.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:08 PM

291 posts, read 830,454 times
I'd say no. Podgorica has nothing to do with Bratislava, Montenegrin capital is a pretty ugly communist city - with extremely beautiful people if I may add.

I liked Bratislava; nice and neat Central European city.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:42 PM

604 posts, read 1,839,389 times
hi im of croatian descent (although not from the nice part) and went there with my family this summer and so did my cousin with his girlfriend. Id say go to croatia because it is wealthier and has more tourism (so it is easier to get around). Montengro is very new and poorer. I think Croatia is joining the EU in April so you won't have to cross any formal borders. It is also much closer and driving down croatia takes like a full driving day and since you have a week it wouldnt be worth wasting a day.

Anyways i suggest you stay somewhere near split which has an international airport. we stayed in Omis which is south, and is a cheaper tourist spot but we stayed in a really nice vila so it was great. Makarska, which has wealthier tourists like Germans, is more upscale so it can be quite pricey. Dubrovnik is more scenic than split but its an extra 3-4 hours (unless the new road has been built). But staying further north also has it's advantages because its a shorter drive from italy and is a shorter drive to plitvice lakes (Plitvice Lakes National Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). If you want a more italian feel go to Istria which has more italian food and culture (it was owned by italy from WW1 to WW2 i think).

I dont know about your financial situation but my cousin found it too primitive because he was on a budget (but he was also in paris in italy). But then if youre on a budget the amalfi coast of italy would be too expensive and i hear the their adriatic side is ugly

Old 01-09-2009, 05:46 PM

604 posts, read 1,839,389 times
...So traveling montenegro on a budget would be extremley primitive

Oh and i suggest getting a pool or crocks... the beaches in most of europe are not like american/carribean beches. They're rocky... i found it a pain to walk on so little kids should have thick souled water shoes

heres the website my mom found the villa on
http://www.croatianvillas.com/index....ral&destid=304

heres the one i wanted....it even comes with a donkey
http://www.croatianvillas.com/index....n=hotel&id=280

heres the one we stayed in...it was nice and there was a cute little cat that would also come by and ruins up on a mountain you can climb to. There are two apartments (we rented both for all us).
http://www.croatianvillas.com/index....n=hotel&id=112

heres one right near the beach
http://www.croatianvillas.com/index....on=hotel&id=56#

Last edited by chicken.or.the.nugget; 01-09-2009 at 06:00 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 PM

905 posts, read 3,446,355 times
I have not been to Montenegro but was in Croatia 2.5 yrs ago and would go back tomorrow if the opportunity presented itself. I would also suggest seeing Plitsvice and if you can't get there try to go to Krka National park it is a smaller version of Plitsvice. Hvar is also a cool island, I too stayed over longer than planned. Dubrovnik is charming. I was not too crazy about Split or Korcula.

I would love to go to Montenegro someday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel