Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:40 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times

Advertisements

Personal circumstances have dictated a reason for me to potentially travel to Canada in the coming months. I've never left the US and I've never traveled alone, so I'm pretty ignorant about the entire process. I intend on going to the county clerk's office to apply for passport book this week. I'm under the impression that it would take about a month to complete the process. Is that accurate? The most ideal time to travel would be in January 2013. First of all, is it too late to even consider taking the trip? Would I be able to order a flight ticket only 4-6 weeks in advance?

If I were to take the trip, I would fly to Vancouver. I haven't done much indepth research in ticket prices, but I'm guessing a round-trip ticket from the NY metropolitan area to Vancouver would be roughly $500-700 (such quotes would mean layovers, which I would be willing to put up with). Those are the current quotes I'm seeing based on very brief research. How likely are they to change in the coming weeks and closer to the flight date? What about bag fees and the fare to be shuttled from my home to the airport? Any estimates regarding the overall cost of such a trip (passport, round-trip ticket, bag fees, and shuttle)? I'm guessing at least $1000. Lodging and food costs would be minimal since I would be staying with a friend.

Is pulling this off realistic or am I just dreaming? Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 08:01 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Processing Times 4-6 weeks for passport + 2 week transit time Unless you pay the extra to have it rushed.

You can buy the tickets , whenever, and put in passport info later when you get your passport if you fly to canada, IF your go by ground/water (see below) you will still need your passport.

(I'd aim for late January) Southwest fare can be cancel fee free and used for different date/flight if your passport does not come in. (You get credit towards the cost of the future flight cost).

Bags are about $30/for 1st bag x 2 each way. Passport = ~$150 Shuttle , depends on how far you are from airport.

Canada is generally more expensive to fly into due to international fee's I did see SW apx 500/rt to SEA, Jetblue apx 400/rt then you can get up to vancouver (found this old new paper story) Travel | The many ways to travel between Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver, B.C. | Seattle Times Newspaper

SW & Jet blue include 2/1 free bags. (the jetblue (JFK) is nonstop).

Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
You can get an 'express' passport in a couple weeks. (If you have your docs in order). You can buy an international ticket without first having your passport.

If a NY resident you can get an 'enhanced' Drivers license that will work for Canada
NYS DMV - Enhanced Driver License FAQs

There are services that you can pay extra to expedite your passport
Visa Passport Pro: Expedited Passports and Rush Visas

4 weeks is plenty of time to get a good priced ticket (Usually 14 days will do) Fare-watcher, or cheaptickets Can find you low fares for a specific routing and send you notification.

Least expensive might be Delta (SLC or SEA) and Air Canada or Alaska Air combo, or there are probably plenty of directs to canada then west to Vancouver.

You can usually get to SEA or PDX for $200 RT (on special) or $350 regular price, then take a commuter flight to BC. Lots of options, lots of time (just get with the program soon). Consider late January and stick around for Chinese New Year in Vancouver BC.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the advice flyonpa and StealthRabbit. It seems like I'm really cutting it close here, because I would have to fly home by January 20th at the latest. Didn't realize how long the passport process would take. Might be worth expediting it. On the one hand, flying to Seattle then finding a way to get up to Vancouver does sound a bit cheaper. But OTOH, it seems like it would be a stressful process for a first time traveler. I think I would rather just fly into Vancouver, even if it means paying an extra couple hundred bucks. Right now I'm calculating the highest ticket price of roughly $700 into the overall cost.

FWIW, I live roughly 55-75 miles from the three major airports in NYC/NJ.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:01 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You can usually get to SEA or PDX for $200 RT (on special) or $350 regular price, then take a commuter flight to BC. Lots of options, lots of time (just get with the program soon). Consider late January and stick around for Chinese New Year in Vancouver BC.
Personally, I agree with Stealth BUT I would do it a bit differently.

He is absolutely correct that flying into Seattle will generally save quite a bit of money. The biggest problem that I have had with SEATAC is that the car rentals have been very expensive.

I would fly into Seattle. Take a train and spend a day or two in downtown Seattle. Rent a car at one of the two agencies in the downtown area (Hertz or Alamo) and drive to Vancouver. Return the car to SEATAC. Believe it or not, over the years, renting at the local locations has saved a lot of money.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, I agree with Stealth BUT I would do it a bit differently.

He is absolutely correct that flying into Seattle will generally save quite a bit of money. The biggest problem that I have had with SEATAC is that the car rentals have been very expensive.

I would fly into Seattle. Take a train and spend a day or two in downtown Seattle. Rent a car at one of the two agencies in the downtown area (Hertz or Alamo) and drive to Vancouver. Return the car to SEATAC. Believe it or not, over the years, renting at the local locations has saved a lot of money.
Thanks for the advice, but I don't think renting a car would be plausible, especially since I'm under the age of 25.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Yes, my thoughts were to fly to SEA and on a seperate RT ticket fly to Vanc BC. I had the feeling you were not interested in driving / or train (tho there is plenty of benefits of all options. Just figure out which one best suits you and time frame you have available.

I have become quite used to booking ECONO RT within the context of another RT. Did the whole East coast month of Oct (leaf peeping) by adding short 'leg's (Flights) to cheap destinations. within a very cheap RT to BWI.

Next week I do similar in China by crossing the border (10 minutes) into Macau and flying to Bangkok. It saved me about $400 ($200 vs $600). That matters to ME (tho PT employer is paying THIS time)

Get those passport pics TOMORROW, and get on with the show (and consider getting a, Enhanced Driver's License) They take about a month. And you need to agree to wearing RFID...

Old 10-31-2012, 01:17 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Express passport takes less than a week, usually 3-4 days. You pay extra for that.
Those are you fees, please add $60 for Express issue and ~$12.50 for a registered postage ( for your passport)
http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html

All first time applicants must apply in person at a Passport Agency, Acceptance Facility, U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
The round trip fare is around $500 from NY to Vancouver. I don't know your exact dates but here is an example:

You need to do your passport first. Here is all info you need: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...first_830.html
Attached Thumbnails
Too late to plan an international trip? (NJ/NY to Vancouver)-flights-new-york-vancouver-google-search.png  

Last edited by elnina; 10-31-2012 at 01:33 AM..

Old 10-31-2012, 01:23 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
This is even a better connection with less wait for connecting flight:

Attached Thumbnails
Too late to plan an international trip? (NJ/NY to Vancouver)-flights-new-york-vancouver-google-search1.png  

Old 10-31-2012, 01:40 AM

Thanks Elnina. I'll continue searching for flights. Where did you find those prices? Right now I'm thinking flying in on January 13th and flying back on the 20th would be the best bet. Only date that really matters is the 20th though. Can't travel afterwards and would like to spend a week there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel