U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:49 AM

5,716 posts, read 8,622,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Same for how many days out - the further out is usually the lowest fare.
This may not entirely be true. Earlier this year I had booked my flight to London Heathrow on British Airways for $860 rt. 3 months before my journey. I had checked for a few days on sidestep.com and that was the best fare for this particular departure on a Fri eve (although there were cheaper flights at other odd times)..about 2 months before departure the fare for this exact same flight got cut by $180! So booking too early may be a bad idea as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 01:31 AM

8,343 posts, read 9,817,954 times
Get used to it - it will only get much, much worse. Capacity will continue to be cut, frequency cut, markets abandoned, and prices will rise substantially.

See The Boyd Group, Inc. - Aviation Hot Flash & Insights (http://www.aviationplanning.com/asrc1.htm - broken link) for the full details; here's a few key points:

Quote:
"The airline industry is getting nuked by fuel costs that are gobbling up most - not just a big percentage, but most - of some carriers' fare revenues. Here's some ugly data:

Assuming recent fare increases stick, the estimated average paid by passengers for domestic travel today is approximately $191.00. Take out the taxes and other extortion fees imposed by Washington, and the airline ends up with $166.17.

At current jet fuel prices - $3.50 per gallon (and going up fast) the cost of fuel per passenger estimated by Airports:USA as of June 15 is $138.80. Net to the airline to pay for everything else: $27.37. Crew. Maintenance. In-flight supplies. Landing fees. And so on. But it gets worse.

Remember that most flights for July and August are already heavily-booked, if not fully-booked, and most of the seats were sold at prices that won’t cover the fuel nut.
"
Also:
Quote:
"Key metrics we’re reviewing as we complete the 2009 – 2014 Airports:USA® Traffic Forecasts:

* Fare Increases. A no-brainer, but the scope of the price hikes will ultimately be breathtaking and change how air service is utilized in the US. If traditionally fuel was 40% of all airline costs in “normal” times, it isn’t as of now. That means the cost of flying will need to go up in major double-digit percentages. If oil gets to $150 and above, plan on real increases – 80% even. At $200 – it’s at least a 100% increase needed. That will shift the role and scope of air transportation. The entire pattern of consumer and business spending will shift due to the effects of high oil prices, and how air travel will emerge is uncertain. Except that there will be less of it, and it won't be able to support the consumer stratas that now depend on it."
And, from http://businesstravelcoalition.com/c...sis_report.pdf :
Quote:
The democratization of air travel and freedom of movement we have come to take for granted in the past thirty years are disappearing before our eyes, while the sad prospect of airlines once again providing transport only for the wealthy is coming into view - a view recently articulated by Herb Kelleher, the visionary founder and former chairman of discount carrier Southwest Airlines.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:43 AM

3,871 posts, read 15,524,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter View Post
I give the rest of the tickets to my friends and family so they can come visit.
Could you please adopt me?? I'm kind, intelligent, and an excellent cook!!

Old 07-06-2008, 05:04 AM

148 posts, read 580,281 times
Default Just raising prices does not increase profits

The people at the airlines, who are raising airfares so fast and so aggressively did not study human nature, pricing and finance very well in school. Simply rising prices does not increase profits, and in most cases actually decreases revenue.

If the airlines were always small and had an infrastructure set up to offer the flying experience to only wealthy elites, rising prices might work. But the Airlines infrastructure and systems are based on millions of people flying. They have to spend lots of money on leased planes and gates. If the Airlines raise fares to high the people will stop flying and the gates they are paying for will not be used. The planes will go out half empty. They will have to lay off so many employee and cut wages so much- that the remaining staff will have terrible morale and be looking for another job. This will destroy motivation and morale so badly that service will get even worse. This will cause even less people to fly and the airlines will lose even more money.

As prices go higher, the few people left who can afford to fly will demand better service, but instead the airlines are cutting services.

If all a business needed to do was raise prices to increase revenue and profit, things would be more expensive for all products. Though that does not work because as prices raise- customers bail, and the companies death spriral begins.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:25 PM

12,628 posts, read 28,142,926 times
I think it's just a crapshoot. We got our son a rt ticket PHL - Heathrow for $732. I thought that was a pretty good deal. I just looked on Southwest today for a friend and there was a ticket each way PHL - LAX for $188 - so less then $400 round trip, and this was for just two weeks in advance! My daughter will be flying from Seattle to our little airport in Lehigh County PA for only $200. I think the key is to look at the travel search engines (my favorite is sidestep), and then go directly to the airlines sites. Except for Southwest which I usually just look at first.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:31 PM

4,270 posts, read 13,980,789 times
Our one week Mediterranean cruise was $1000.

Our plane ticket to Europe to get on that cruise: $1800.

Blasphemous!

Old 07-10-2008, 02:40 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,542,879 times
travel on an off day helps also with the price-cheap fare tracks seats. or the red eye flight also is low

Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 PM

12,628 posts, read 28,142,926 times
Yes, if you can leave on a Tuesday or Thursday, you can often have lower fares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or