U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 05:03 PM

303 posts, read 1,230,847 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to vent on my frustration with rising airfares...

For a couple weeks I have been looking at fares on Delta for Pensacola, Florida to Los Angeles (LAX) for mid October. They had been $390 which I thought was a great deal! Sure enough, finally get the money and ready to purchase today.. This morning was $520 and tonight $570. I thought prices could only change once a day??

I want the old days back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 06:26 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,824,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihtzumom View Post

For a couple weeks I have been looking at fares on Delta for Pensacola, Florida to Los Angeles (LAX) for mid October. They had been $390 which I thought was a great deal! Sure enough, finally get the money and ready to purchase today.. This morning was $520 and tonight $570. I thought prices could only change once a day??

Wow thats quite odd, Air New Zealand the airline overhere have just put their International and Domestic prices up again for the countless number of times.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 PM

39,610 posts, read 47,884,680 times
And they are going to continue rising and rising until the oil producing countries decide to lower their barrel prices. So look for big hikes through out the year. If you know you are needing airfare down the line in the future, book it now, you'll save over paying for it later. We booked two months ago for flights in August at 1/2 the prices quoted now. The airlines honor those prices.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:46 PM

190 posts, read 617,806 times
Darn, I am going all the way to Taiwan and Bangkok this fall for only just over $800 r/t. I only booked a couple of weeks ago.
I am even luckier when it comes to stateside flights. Southwest gives me more tickets than I can use. I only have to pay the security fees. Our family is going to East Coast next month for $40 and home to the Midwest for Christmas for another $40 (that is total for 4 of us). I give the rest of the tickets to my friends and family so they can come visit.
OK sorry, didn't mean to rub it in

Old 07-03-2008, 10:45 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,824,599 times
Airfare rises don't really worry me too much, sure they go up alot but its the same with gas, its something that just going to happen.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:16 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,314,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihtzumom View Post

They didn't rise. What happened is each airline on each flight has so many seats at different price levels. Depending on if you want fully refundable or no changes/no refunds depends upon the price of the ticket you will purchase. Same for how many days out - the further out is usually the lowest fare. The airline might have had 4 seats at $180 each (each way) and someone has bought those now. So you were bumped up to the next lowest catagory. Notice the codes for the fares your quoted and you can see that it was a differet fare all together. If your trying to purchase more than 1 seat see what fare comes up if you only purchase 1 instead of 2 or more. You might be able to get at least 1 ticket for less IF there happens to still be a lower fared seat left.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:00 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,956,094 times
We are definitely getting nickeled and dimed here and there, with baggage fees, fees if we want paper tickets, and yes--fuel surcharges.
Aren't fewer planes flying now? So when they fly, they usually are full.

Have a look at this:
Airfare Hikes Timeline

and this:

European Fuel Surcharges

Old 07-04-2008, 07:50 PM

740 posts, read 1,843,814 times
Flights to JFK from Los Angeles jumped 12%. I had to booked quickly, before they jumped some more!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:13 PM

30 posts, read 95,316 times
They're hiking, but you just have to be smart about it. Don't limit yourself to one airline. Search on Orbitz to find the lowest rate.

I thought I got a pretty good deal when I did my booking last night. $117 (including taxes/fees) for a one-way from Tampa to Boston in mid-October.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:20 PM

263 posts, read 802,368 times
Why not track the fare for a week and see if it goes down a bit. This site helps. There are other sites that accomplish this.

Good luck!

Cheap Flights, Cheap Hotels, Cheap Airfare, Airline Tickets, Travel Deals - SideStep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or