U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 04:44 PM

371 posts, read 1,118,565 times

Advertisements

Hey, all! Any suggestions on an affordable ( on a budget ) vacation for a couple w/ 2 babies ( 2yr and 9 mos )?? I've got the first week in Nov. off work and am going crazy trying to plan something. In Raleigh, NC and am looking for definitely warm weather, maybe beach, but something nice for kids and adults. Prefer driving b/c it's a bit cheaper, but will consider air or vacation packages. Disney cruise turned out to be just too much....help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 06:23 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,474,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amymcc View Post
Hey, all! Any suggestions on an affordable ( on a budget ) vacation for a couple w/ 2 babies ( 2yr and 9 mos )?? I've got the first week in Nov. off work and am going crazy trying to plan something. In Raleigh, NC and am looking for definitely warm weather, maybe beach, but something nice for kids and adults. Prefer driving b/c it's a bit cheaper, but will consider air or vacation packages. Disney cruise turned out to be just too much....help!!!
HOw about a cruise on a different and much cheaper cruiseline? We did a Disney cruise and I'd say that with the ages of kids you have, the extra price would absolutely not be worth it. Ours were 3 and 5 when we went and the 3 year old was fine, but the 5 year old was freaked out by the characters and the kids club, etc. Most cruiselines are much cheaper than Disney and for your family, would offer you a great time. Some cruiselines have babysitting for very young kids. I know Princess does not, but Carnival might. Holland America may have babysitting for really young kids, but I can't remember. You should check out Carnival. It used to have a party boat reputation and the shorter cruises may still have that reputation (I really don't know, so please nobody jump on me for mistating this!!!). But it's worth looking into. A cruise on a less-expensive cruiseline in the off season (early November is a great time for cheaper cruises,) would possibly be cheaper than any other vacation with 4 people. If the cruise left out of Florida, you could drive there, thereby foregoing the costs of flying. Also, I know that NOrwegian cruiselines has cruises out of Charleston, SC and some ships sail out of Norfolk. Have you checked out cruisecritic.com? Good luck on finding a vacation!! Vacationing does get easier as the kids get older. Just take LOTS of photos!!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:01 PM

896 posts, read 3,928,315 times
It wouldn't be the most fun but driving to Florida is doable from Raleigh. We've driven from Palm Beach County to Raleigh and Charlotte with four kids. We did it once at night and drove straight through. It was easy for the kids because they slept but we were exhausted. Another time we did it during the day and made lots of stops. You could stay anywhere on the Florida coast from Vero south and have great beach weather in November. We've also visited the panhandle in November and it was a little too cold for "beach" weather. We went to the beach but stayed in our clothes and went to the heated pool but were freezing when we got out. Affordable vacations with kids are always a dilemma for me!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:55 PM

12,327 posts, read 18,433,096 times
Yeah just drive to Florida and stay at a cheap beach hotel. Weather may be a bit too cool for swimming however. But you get off-season rates.

That would be your cheapest option.

I can't see your children enjoying or appreciating a cruise at that age.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:19 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,474,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah just drive to Florida and stay at a cheap beach hotel. Weather may be a bit too cool for swimming however. But you get off-season rates.

That would be your cheapest option.

I can't see your children enjoying or appreciating a cruise at that age.
My 2 year old LOVED the cruise we went on back in 2005. I was surprised by how totally thrilled she was with everything. Of course, she doesn't remember it now, but we still look at the photos and she knows my stories that I tell from our time on that cruise. My second child also went on a cruise at the age of 2 and she also LOVED it. I didn't force either child to sit for long periods of time at meals or to do things on the cruise that they wouldn't enjoy. I was very surprised on the first cruise in 2005 how much she (and I) enjoyed it.

Now, the 9 month old -- don't know about that one. I saw a baby as young as 12 weeks on our last cruise which was a Disney cruise.

But you're right that driving down to Florida and staying in a cheap motel would be the cheapest. I think I'd have a far better time, even with the kids, going on a cruise, though, and price-wise, it might be surprising how closely comparable they can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or