U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:27 AM

5,687 posts, read 8,599,419 times

Advertisements

How many have been there and what was your experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 12:32 PM

3,752 posts, read 9,604,552 times
We spent 33 days there in northern India in 1991 and it was a fantastic experience. The colors, the people, the food, the experience was so exotic. Would love to go back and see Southern India.

We followed normal precautions with bottled water and food and only had one short tummy upset and got an upper resp. infection that laid me low for a little while. But either can happen and has to me even in the US.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:36 PM

605 posts, read 2,219,517 times
Did 3 weeks exploring the south by train back in 2001. Fascinating place, but found all the hustle, bustle, constant noise, dirt and cultural challenges very energy sapping. We didn't do any organized tours or anything - it was all independent travel. Got ill too - I think that's a given when traveling in India....

Old 07-15-2008, 10:51 AM

355 posts, read 1,381,341 times
I suggest drinking boiled water whenever possible. Not all bottled water is of good quality. Take it from someone who hails from South India.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:11 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,203,957 times
Just pack lots of immodium. Pepto-Bismal doesn't cut it in India...

Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 8,597 times
India is a very special part of Asia, if you've never been before to an asian country I'd recommend to start somewhere else.
You can have everything: wonderful helpful people, fantastic colors and meals and on the other hand dirt, povery and stubborness.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:37 PM

261 posts, read 1,401,323 times
I visited India through an tourism company (India Vacation, India for visitors, Indian Vacation) and had the most magnificent time. They arranged everything- flight, hotel, car, house-boat cruise in south India, etc. I would definitely encourage everyone to visit this Asian country. Its a life changing experience. Sure there is poverty in some areas but I worked in NYC seen poverty there too. There is poverty in every country.

My only suggestion to those interested in visiting India is not to go alone or make arrangements yourself. Online travel sites only can do so much. Use a tour operator. PM me for the contact info for the one I used.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:42 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,528,902 times
If you can't cook it, watch it being opened in front of you, or peel it, DON'T put it in your mouth. That goes for ice cubes, milk for tea/coffee, ice cream. ALL are no-nos. Get a bottle of water to brush your teeth. Do NOT trust the hotel when they say all their water is purified. Following these rules I managed to stay healthy for two weeks in India.

Do not eat with your left hand. It's considered dirty.

DO NOT take Immodium if you get sick. It can prolong and aggravate your diarrheal illness.

DO NOT give money to the sad-looking beggar children. You will be beseiged by hordes of beggars that will come out of nowhere.

DO NOT pet stray dogs: rabies is all over India.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:10 PM

658 posts, read 1,621,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
If you can't cook it, watch it being opened in front of you, or peel it, DON'T put it in your mouth. That goes for ice cubes, milk for tea/coffee, ice cream. ALL are no-nos. Get a bottle of water to brush your teeth. Do NOT trust the hotel when they say all their water is purified. Following these rules I managed to stay healthy for two weeks in India.

Do not eat with your left hand. It's considered dirty.

DO NOT take Immodium if you get sick. It can prolong and aggravate your diarrheal illness.

DO NOT give money to the sad-looking beggar children. You will be beseiged by hordes of beggars that will come out of nowhere.

DO NOT pet stray dogs: rabies is all over India.
Well said. You should also vaccinated against Hepatitis and Malaria. Another bit of advice is to stay in a good hotel; it may be more expensive but you will be thankful.

I've been visiting India for the past 10 years, and its quite an interesting place. The poverty and pollution may be a shock to you; but otherwise India has a vibrant culture with so much to see and do.

Recommended cities to go are Mumbai, New Dehli, Jaipur, Madras, and Goa.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:57 PM

5,687 posts, read 8,599,419 times
I would also recommend Bangalore and Mysore. Bangalore was the seat of the Vijayanagar empire and founded in the 16th century. Today it is the silicon valley of India and one of the most cosmopolitan cities in India. It was formerly known as the garden city but unfortunately urbanization has reduced the number of gardens. The city has a very vibrant nightlife with many pubs and discos to hang out in, some of them have top guest DJs from the USA and UK visiting from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel