U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:31 PM

5,363 posts, read 5,630,410 times

Advertisements

The hotel/motel discount is usually 10% with exception noted above.

The AARP is not always the lowest price though.

I always ask - what is your lowest cost - before showing any membership card. Then I ask for the membership card discount - and compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:24 PM

9,415 posts, read 17,382,101 times
I carried AARP for about 10 years. Like an earlier poster, I'd ask when checking into a hotel or renting a car what card got the best discount. I don't think it ever mattered -- AARP, AAA or simply "senior discount." Sometimes a business card and, "I'm traveling on business" got the best deal.

AARP is super cheap to join, but I learned to not care for the organization so quit renewing my membership.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:40 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Just a suggestion: the funds that AARP collects are used for political lobbying, so, perhaps, check to see what their politics are before sending money.

If you agree, it's all good. If you don't agree, there are other ways to get discounts.
You know, don't you, that the "hospitality industry" (amazing oxymoron) also use the hotel and tourism funds they collect for political lobbying. So does the Chamber of Commerce of the city you are leaving your money in. So you might want to check and see what their politics are before you check in.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:52 PM

39,527 posts, read 47,687,050 times
We belong to AARP and just recently received their catalog of places of business where their card is accepted for a discount. There's about a 100 different types of businesses. If you are a AARP member you should have received this catalog, if not call and get one.
One big feature is that at Walgreens you get a good discount on your drugs not covered by insurance.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:12 PM

14,256 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
We belong to AARP and just recently received their catalog of places of business where their card is accepted for a discount. There's about a 100 different types of businesses. If you are a AARP member you should have received this catalog, if not call and get one.
One big feature is that at Walgreens you get a good discount on your drugs not covered by insurance.
Do remember that generally Walgreens and CVS are significantly higher than other providers - Walmart, Costco, etc - in many markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel