U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,288 times

Advertisements

I was 15 when I took my first trip by Greyhound, which involved 2 transfers, one in Sacramento, and then another in Seattle if I don't count the Portland stop where they had everyone get off the bus to clean it and stuff... Trip lasted 23 hours!

You could put money on a reloadable card for emergencies, and if she doesn't have a cell phone, you get a pay as you go phone...`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 01:52 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,705,157 times
I flew by myself to Finland to visit family for a month when I was only 13 (almost 14) with no problem. It really depends on the kid. I did have a layover in Vancouver also. It was a 14 hour trip, and I read an entire book on the way. I loved it!

I'd let my daughter do the same thing, but it was normal to me then, as long as she was being picked up by family at the other end.

It's funny, we coddle our youth in some ways (travel), but then again let them grow up so fast in others (myspace, make-up, dating, clothing)!

In Europe, teens regularly travel. I think it speaks more of the U.S. as being less experienced travelers.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I was 16 when my parents put me in a plane to come to the US. To an unknown country where I didn't speak the language.
Where are you from? Were you an exchange student?

Old 07-17-2008, 02:00 PM

519 posts, read 1,554,925 times
I flew internationally at 16 .. no problem.

Plus, there have been many times when I just stayed/chilled in the airport. Nothing wrong with hanging out overnight. Not comfortable and no sleep .. but it's free!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:29 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,989,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Where are you from? Were you an exchange student?
I am from Spain and I ended up as an exchange student in Wisconsin. Talk about culture shock.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I am from Spain and I ended up as an exchange student in Wisconsin. Talk about culture shock.
No doubt!!! Looks like you liked the U.S. though, since you're back/still here!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:25 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,989,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
No doubt!!! Looks like you liked the U.S. though, since you're back/still here!
I came back for college and right before I graduated I got married. My dream is still to go back home. Of course I no longer fit there but I just want to be near family.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:10 AM

25,669 posts, read 24,298,688 times
Back in 'the day' it might have been okay. These days, no way. Maybe just one or two states over, but not cross country. When my dad was transferred to Guam, it took him a few weeks to get settled and into a place, then he sent for my brother and me. We flew by ourselves but back then, the attendants took good care of us and paid attention to the goings on to make sure we made it safely.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:15 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,222,322 times
No way!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:30 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,696,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Library56 View Post
A relative who is 15 years old was sent to visit relatives via a flight with two connections. ......

I would be a nervous wreck, and very sceptical with not 1 but 2 connections, nonetheless.
Connection flights are already so confusing and aggravating....even for adults.
Especially when the layovers are going into hours, gate departure changes, or one has to make it's way all the way across the entire airport in order to catch the departure connection flight.
However, that said, I must also mention, that most airlines (for an extra fee), will accompany and guide minors or elderly to where they need to go and be. From departure, to arrival, to destination.
So, as soon as they get off the plane, someone will be right there, front and center.
The only experience I have is with the airline Lufthansa....and it worked EXTREMELY well, and so much better then ever expected.
However, doing research and homework with different airlines and their policies regarding minors is an absolute MUST !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or